Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Aaron Gage Round Australia.

Page: First Previous 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next Last

:-)
I like to talk a lot... sometimes I even make sense, mostly not...
OK folks.... here we go!

The start out of Brisbane is a toughie... reminiscent of the start on the way to Noumea before we tweaked it!

Bearing in mind that few SOLers are in this timezone, we will probably need to adjust the number of waypoints - however true-to-reality we wish to be - to make the thing even remotely DC-able!

To view the race please log in as the sol boat:

USERNAME: sol
PASSWORD: sol

and then click here

I love all the info associated with the course (viewable in the kmz file).

THANK YOU TYGER!!! :-)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2012-08-19 16:04:58 ---
The start out of Brisbane is a toughie... we will probably need to adjust the number of waypoints - however true-to-reality we wish to be - to make the thing even remotely DC-able!
RC
I thought that may be the case so I've started on an "abridged" version that will make it a bit easier but still keep to the course in general.

--- Last Edited by Tyger at 2012-08-20 09:18:56 ---
“We may have arrived on different ships, but we are all in the same boat now!” Martin Luther King Jr.
A3 Leg5 Brisbane to Hamilton Is. - Abridged
UPDATED
I've taken out 7 waypoints to make it easier to set DC's at the start. Also renamed WP1 (WP2 in first markup) to its original name before bureaucrats gave beacons numbers.
NW Fairway Buoy is now left to Starboard.
The course still keeps very close to the IRL course but gives SOLers a bit of room to move.
I hope that is more suitable.

--- Last Edited by Tyger at 2012-08-20 09:19:16 ---

--- Last Edited by Tyger at 2012-08-20 11:29:10 ---
“We may have arrived on different ships, but we are all in the same boat now!” Martin Luther King Jr.
I think that a very serious question needs to be asked here. Do we need all these waypoints to "navigate" us on what is a fairly direct course? Do we need to be led by the nose from point to point?
Start and destination are all that is needed---otherwise we will end up with a "Procession",
It is not the job of the "Course Designer" to arrange all our Delayed Commands for us.

--- Last Edited by Rod at 2012-08-19 22:58:33 ---
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Do we need all these waypoints to "navigate" us on what is a fairly direct course? Do we need to be led by the nose from point to point?
Start and destination are all that is needed---otherwise we will end up with a "Procession",
It is not the job of the "Course Designer" to arrange all our Delayed Commands for us.

Rod
A3 leg5 Brisbane to Hamo v2
I have taken out another 2 WPs from the 1st abridged version. This is about as minimalist as we can get before losing the character of the IRL race. See my comments in the original GE markup. There is over 100NM between each WP from WP2 to WP7. Plenty of room to move.
Legs5 & 6 were always going to be "constrained" races because of the nature of the local geography.
Also, where possible, we wanted to stay true to IRL races. The 1st markup waypoints are exactly as stated in the IRL sailing instructions.

AGage was a point to point skiff sailor IRL so I don't think he would mind. How many waypoints were in AGage's Tour Downunder?
Legs7, 8 & 9 will be long open water races - over 1000NM each - with few WPs. When all 9 legs are completed, I think you will see that there is a bit of everything.
I disagree with your last statement - that is exactly what course designers do IRL. SOL is a simulation, not a video game!

------------------------------------------------
UPDATED .kmz FILE

--- Last Edited by Tyger at 2012-08-21 03:41:12 ---
Attachments
Hi guys. I think we have a good compromise here. Aaron would deffo want us to be highlighting/featuring IRL Australian races as he was very aware that they were sorely missing from the SOL racing calendar but wouldn't want it to be a follow-the-leader situation.

So.. keeping the features and sailability (or do I mean SOLability) of a real race so that it is recognisable as such while making it fun for SOLers, which is what you are achieving, is perfect in my book!

I won't be able to amend the course today - have a scan at the hospital followed by a friend's birthday tea!

BUT t'will be done probably tomorrow.

In the meantime, Tyger, please would you rename your latest kmz to something shorter and re-upload it? It's name is making the column overlap with the Races column!

Thanks!

:-)
OK folks.. adjustment made... deffo bare minimum now :-) But is sailable for everyone!

To view the race please log in as the sol boat:

USERNAME: sol
PASSWORD: sol

and then click here

His family will be informed and, who knows, maybe they will take a look in and let his friends know too.

NEXT QUESTION

Do we want this series of races to be a SOL series? with X out of Y total races counting? with all races counting?

OR

Shall we just let them be raced as they are in SYC and Week category?

What do you think?

P.S. Don't worry that we appear not to have completed the circuit, Tygerhas been away but is now cracking on with doing just this!

NEXT QUESTION
Do we want this series of races to be a SOL series? with X out of Y total races counting? with all races counting?
OR
Shall we just let them be raced as they are in SYC and Week category?

What do you think?

A series would be good, say 5 or 6 out of 9. However some SOLers may not participate if they think they may not be able to complete enough legs. My preference would be to have as many SOLers as possible have a go even if for only one leg. So, individual races is another possibility. Either way, if we do say one Leg per month that would mean Leg9 finishing back in Adelaide around the 1st anniversary of Aaron's passing.
Sorry, that doesn't answer the question, just adds another about timing between legs.

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2012-09-07 09:59:52 ---

Page: First Previous 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next Last

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client