Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Aaron Gage Round Australia.

Page: First Previous 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next Last

Leg 2 is ready for preview.

Tyger - if this is how well you perform when under the weather with a winter cold then... I guess the world had better look out when you are fit! This is another perfect submission... will definitely make sure all you have written gets put into the Races Forum (not all will go on the Homepage) once we start racing!

To view Leg 2, as before, log in as the sol boat:

USERNAME: sol
PASSWORD: sol

and then click here

Looks good to me!!

N.B. where there was already a waypoint with the same name in the database (used by other courses) I have made a new one and added A3 after it so in future we can differentiate between them.

Leg 2 is now archived

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2012-08-04 14:37:48 ---
WOW!

Another great leg! Just 2 nitpicking observations.

1) Unless specifically placed, consider moving the Bluff Hill point to the actual point or, in keeping with the convention, consider changing the name to Bluff Hill Point Mark to indicate it is offshore.

2) Consider placing an intermediary mark between Bluff Hill and Maatsuyker for the purpose of ranking frequency update. Suggest the headland at -42.6240, 145.2555

Excellent work. Tyger is fast becoming the Designer Extraordinaire!

SP
SP
1. Yes. This appears to be an anomaly that arises when transferring from the GE markup to SOL. I had the waypoint on Bluff Hill Point. I think I will put marks further inland in the next legs to ensure that they are not at sea.
2. I'll leave this to the SOL Godess. I'm not sure if it will make a difference, we don't have any waypoints in the middle of the Transat and it does not appear to affect rankings.

Leg3 course is completed, I just have to do the Description and will upload tomorrow.
I am on the road to Sydney at moment so only laptop to work with.
“We may have arrived on different ships, but we are all in the same boat now!” Martin Luther King Jr.
Tyger... seems I might have to draft in your services / assistance to help me set up a race proposal for a classic Whitbread race in the future...
I like to talk a lot... sometimes I even make sense, mostly not...
ShamPir - have moved Bluff Hill Point on land. Not sure about adding another mark though between it and Maatsuyker, its only 175nm, and if you zoom out Tasmania looks quite busy with marks.

Why did you think an extra mark here would be good for rankings? Are we so far S that we have line issues? Thought we only encountered those mid-ocean?
When I originally suggested this "Aaron Gage Tribute Race", to Rainbow Chaser in the chat, I suggested that the race be run in one continuous leg, with only a few marks,(enough to ensure circum-navigation of Australia). I further suggested that the marks be placed in the inner harbours of a small number of Australian ports. This would provide a number of ocean-going legs for those who delight in WXs and Routers, as well as a number of close boat handling exercizes for others of us' who sail SOTP.
Due to the variable boat speeds achieved by different sailors, etc. the TIME of DAY for these In-port exercises would be randomized for the SOLers in different parts of the world.
Starting a number of separate legs at the same time in the Australian AM or PM would place an unfair burden upon some SOLers, who would have to get up in the middle of the night, or in the middle of a working day, to start every leg.
I would further suggest that position ranking is ONLY of real importance when approaching the Finish Line--after-all, visual estimates of your relative position and ranking are really all you have IRL. Why would anyone care very greatly about his/her position at any other time during the race?
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Rod - just thought I would chip in here, I think Tyger said he was at a Boat Show so away for a few days.

The reason for this not being a non-stop is that it would be a huge race and, as we discussed further up this thread, would make it an excluding affair - if you weren't in at the start then you'd lose out.

As for harbours - it is starting and finishing at the major harbours - thus far Adelaide, Melbourne, Hobart, Sydney. Additional marks are only being added to make a sensible sailing line.

This way we have a bunch of competitive opportunities.
Totally agree that there are pros and cons for any specific arrangement. I make suggestions as feedback--and am content with anything you and the Dev-dudes decide. I am only too well aware of how frustrating it is to present proposals and decisions and never hear a word of feedback on anything.
I do admire your patience in dealing with all of us!!!
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
RC, Tyger, et al:

I might have misinterpreted how the server ranks. I thought an intermediate mark would "push" the server to update from that rounding point... but I see that I don't have that right.

Belay my last suggestion, mateys!

SP
Back in Melb (via Canberra) after 5 days at Sydney International Boat Show and sailing at Royal Prince Alfred YS.
Home just in time to see Tom Slingsby take GOLD in the Laser Class for AUS.
Today (its already 00:45 Tuesday here) I'll get stuck into completing the remaining legs of the A3.
“We may have arrived on different ships, but we are all in the same boat now!” Martin Luther King Jr.

Page: First Previous 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next Last

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client