Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Perf on Texel Race

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

I agree that it seems a bit too slow in acceleration compared to a real boat. I did a test now and needed 7 nm (30 mins) to reach 100% after [gybing?] 180°.
Wouldn't it be more realistic to drop a lot deeper in performance, like 50%, but regain it a lot quicker?

Pierre (SOL: chksix)

Edit: If it's anything similar to the boat on the SOL front page it should accelerate like a Hobiecat IMO.

--- Last Edited by Pierre at 2011-06-24 13:51:06 ---

--- Last Edited by Pierre at 2011-06-24 14:58:48 ---
SOL uses the same perf reduction profile for all boats, so it's always a bit of a compromise.

Also note that one of the intents of the performance hit is to much to make the game a bit more playable, not necessarily just 100% fidelity. The perf hit prevents the really competitive boats from tacking every 2 minutes in some situations, keeping them safe from spouses and somewhat preserving fleet sanity. Not naming names... but we could actually use *more* of a hit sometimes.

For this race consider it an overall performance reduction due to surf and congestion at the marks. Everyone will take the same penalties, so easiest to just tune it out.

:-)
Safe from "SPOUSES"?????? Whoa, Nellie!!!!
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Ok, I promised a story about the real Texel race...

After reading the posts about performance drops, I will try to determine our perf.loss in the real Texel race.

After the wise decision to cancel the race last year (huge swell and wind >23 kts) the organizing committee did her very best to send us out. Some 300 boats went out through a pretty calm surf, to find out that the wind was kind of "last yearly". We pushed our boat off the beach, went through the surf smoothly, 30 minutes before start, went close hauled towards the start, tacked, went close hauled back to the beach and saw we did the right thing. With a downwindstart, we saw (from the safe beach) some 300 cats making their pitchpoling way North. After the Lighthouse towards the VC bouy, there was almost no water on the always shallow Vlakte van Kerken, lots of boats lost their daggerboards. I don't know what and why happened towards Oudeschild, afterwards some sailors told me, they only saw smoke from flares, broken hulls and more problems. The leg to Oudeschild was pretty hard, almost no sight (< 1nm), grey skies due to heavy rain, the only way was to navigate on compass. Those who made Oudeschild in time had a pretty tough upwind towards the South, followed by a reach and an ever tougher downwind towards finish.

After all: we had 152 finishers, no record was set, no personal injuries (!!!), a lot of broken sails, masts, hulls and egos.

Summary:
Perfomance loss: 100%
Damage to boat: none
Psychological crew-damage: healed with some beers :)

Some good pics and vids are to be found on www.roundtexel.com via multimedia.

We are sure to do Texel again, (it’s the 35th Round) on 9 June 2012.

Cheers,
Arthur and Alex on Infusion 977 (nowhere to be found in the results).
If you're still in control, you're not going fast enough.
Arthur,
"Live to fight another day".
It is refreshing to see sound judgement in an environment that often promotes the opposite. I have respect for your decisions and would sail offshore with you without reservation.
Well Done!
SP
ShamrockPirate said @ 2011-07-01 23:56:39:
It is refreshing to see sound judgement in an environment that often promotes the opposite.
*cough*
I am assuming you are referring here to the propensity of sailors to tend to go out in 35kn wind and 2.5m swell just for the thrill?
Conditions likely to snap your mast, and accidentally coping a whip with the mainsheet means a week long concussion?? (not to mention the boom!)
Whats wrong with that??
It's fun!
Thats what insurance is for...
and hospital emergency wards...

AND

How else are men supposed to prove they Kahoonies of Granite, since we can no longer just go into a Romanesque Stadium and slash the $#!7 out of some poor (unarmed) slave ??
;-)
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
For RC. Here are two boats at Tillsonburg. The first is a 5 ft model of Bluenose II the second is a Brit WWII battleship

--- Last Edited by Rod at 2011-07-03 13:44:20 ---
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
AG... Agree completely; having been the consummate adrenalin junkie in earlier times, I am well-versed in the breed and still try to capture the effect even in my 6th decade. As I sit here with a goodly part of my right-sided appendages bandaged and oozing from a mountain-bike "mishap", I feel a sense of wisdom borne of experience descend on me like a fine painkiller with tequila chaser (just kidding!!.. no tequila);-).

I certainly don't discourage the activities as I abhor hypocrisy, but find it important to acknowledge the judgement of those who have also acquired the wisdom. Occasionally, the REAL cojones stay on the dock/beach.

IMHO,
SP
"It's better to be ashore, wishing you were at sea, than being at sea, wishing you were ashore"

;-)
If you're still in control, you're not going fast enough.
Attachments
I was joking...
Mostly
It is a sport that seems to breed the adrenalin junky... Or maybe it just attracts pre-existing ones ??
I'd love $1 for every time a non-sailor has said "Oh what a great day for sailing", with 32 degrees and 12kn of wind - same people saying "You are friggin kidding!" when I point out what sailors consider a "great day for sailing" ;-)

But its no fun sailing a boat without a mast!
I know, I've had to do so a few times now - granted less the older I get... Whether that is from wisdom or stronger masts I'm not sure.
Also, this is very dependent on the types of local conditions you get. I have met some very good sailors, who mostly sailed on rivers (or lakes), and when they come race in places like my own local club, which regularly has 20+kn and 2m swell, they just don't have the skills for those conditions. That said, they whoop my ass in 5kn and flat water... And TBH it is usually the waves they cant handle - Wind by itself is usually manageable - add a good smack sideways every 30 seconds and its a whole new ball game... To me, it would be silly for these people to go sailing in such conditions - certainly they almost never enjoy races set in them, but for those who do have the skills to sail them, I'm not so sure... (and I am not saying it requires MORE skill, just different)

My club is also known for its 'deadly' SEer, which is a land breeze (so flat water), but usually 20kn and VERY gusty - exaggerated by the land formation (a nice 250m downward slope behind the club house to slip down before hitting the sea) - resulting in gusts that can be more than 50% stronger and upwards of a 30 degree knock. We LOVE them. Others HATE them... So they aren't really conditions that would call off a race, but they can be incredibly tricky to sail well. And whenever there is a state heat or some other regatta at our club which brings other boats they all seem to hate these, preferring to stay at the bar than go sailing. (I wonder how keen they would be if there wasn't a bar to sit at?)

I guess I'm also pointing out that there are locations that would only sail < 1/2 a season if they abandoned every race in over 22kn.

Arthur, in all honesty I can't say I have wished I did not go out since I was kid. But sat on the beach from a late crew many times - so I'm not sure about that last statement... It LOOKS right, I just haven't 'felt' it yet...

I have played a lot of different sports, and sailing probably has the lowest casualty rate and avg injury severity (despite persisting in maniacal conditions). Although it IS the only sport I have played where the undertaker was needed! But that was old-age once and a freak accident the other time.
Now this is people I am talking about - boats are a whole other matter. They aren't nearly so lucky, and if they were sentient I'm sure they would lock themselves in the shed every time they heard more than 17kn in the trees...

So I guess its easier to be cavalier when sailing someone else's boat to (I have skippered boats owned by others for a while now)
;-)
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Neumayer Station to Biscoe Wharf 2024

It’s Autumn now in Antarctica, the sun is permanently below the horizon, but during the day, from c 0900 to c 1700 local time, there is some twilight – nautical twilight, not to be confused with civil twilight which is brighter. The penguins are starting to huddle together to keep warm and the sea ice is growing. Time to get back to Biscoe Wharf then, before the water becomes impassible. Including a detour past Argentina’s main two Antarctic stations, it’s only 1900nm, so, although we’ll be in a hurry, we will take the bigger, better ice-classed Paratii 2 once more, just to be sure!
Race #1766
INFOby brainaid.de
Paratii 2 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: May 13th 19:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Mellum to Trischen PYOC 2024

The next installment of the sprint race series sees us paying an all too rare visit to the German coast for a 30nm Pick Your Own Course race in Fox 9.50’s. Along the way enjoy the company of the popular harbour seals that populate the Wadden Sea.
Race #1810
INFO by brainaid.de
Fox 9.5 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SPRQ2 - SPRCH - SUPSOL – SYC
Race starts: May 11th 09:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client