Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Is it cheating, unfair or acceptable??

Page: First Previous 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next

I thought I'd managed to avoid this one...

RULE:

The aim is that most of the rules should be enforced automatically by the server.

People all want different things. If 5% of this commentary was framed as suggestions rather than just complaints we'd have something worth discussing. Please present enforceable alternatives.

I don't understand the current flare up; we've had one boat voluntarily retire (so as not to take a ranking) after being placed in a position that violated their own principles, one boat retire as they couldn't finish the race without boatsitting, and we had a twin boat in a recent race place highly, but few seemed to notice or care. Maybe the names weren't recognisable enough.

There is only one team boat that anyone currently cares about. To my eye they're slower than their constituent parts (at very high level I expect this) and they only take one of the top ten spots in ocean races instead of four.
NZL_undercover said @ 2011-07-14 10:33:54:
What a load of crap!!
Boats controlled by groups of people!!!
I think you both are in fantasy land.

Its people like you guy's that ruin this type of online experience for me.

I am wondering if I can be bothered renewing my SYC membership.
Was that directed at me?

--- Last Edited by Big RayRay at 2011-07-14 21:43:44 ---
It certainly was with statements like this:

"When I first started soling I thought boats were playing follow the leader taking advantage of the good sailor's skills, but now I understand it's 5 or 10 guys sailing each others boats."

That is utter crap.
NZL_undercover said @ 2011-07-14 22:50:25:
It certainly was with statements like this:

"When I first started soling I thought boats were playing follow the leader taking advantage of the good sailor's skills, but now I understand it's 5 or 10 guys sailing each others boats."

That is utter crap.
Says you. Has anyone altered your course in the trans atlantic race? How about any of the past five races. I can say no one has ever helmed my boat other than myself in any race. Having a first mate is like taking steroids
No one has altered my boat in the Transatlantic Race or in any of the last 20-30 races.

I have asked for help in the odd race before that.......isn't it called boatsitting.

Generally it has been when I have been doing real sailing in an offshore race.

I suppose I must cheat in those as well!!

Do you really believe that we have all teamed up and steer each others boats??

Can you give me the names of these "so called team boats" if not Shut the F**k Up.
NZL_undercover said @ 2011-07-15 03:45:22:
Shut the F**k Up.
Relax, and watch who you cuss. It's a small world.
Yes I do apologize for that.......
but I do find it rather infuriating as you can probably tell.
Sorry for cussing.
NZL_undercover said @ 2011-07-15 03:59:37:
Yes I do apologize for that.......
but I do find it rather infuriating as you can probably tell.
Sorry for cussing.
I apologize for lumping people into a group.
AHOY SOLers

Discussion is good. Thrashing out issues is good. Making constructive and positive contributions (even when critical)is good.

BUT please do remember that it doesn't matter how much you argue for or against rules,there is one truth....

If a rule cannot be enforced then it cannot be a rule.

Thus in SOL, if a rule cannot be enforced by the server then it is not a rule.

Boatsitting is permitted. but as I have said before (2011-04-05 09:18:27)inter alia whether or not you choose to share your credentials with another (for some interim boat-sitting while busy with real life - hospital appointments, family issues, work etc) or choose to sail solo without assistance, then it is just that. A choice.

If you seek boatsitting help, then make sure you agree what should happen in the range from the very specific, e.g., I have set DCs so please just check that they fire, to the very general e.g., please sail XXX as if she were your own.

If you have been asked to boatsit and have accepted on the basis that it would be for a limited time, and more than that time elapses without the "owner" contacting you then... for heavens sake, decide what you want to do. Email them... ask the question.

If you haven't been asked to boatsit but have a skipper's credentials then accept that the skipper may have chosen not to ask you or even not to ask anyone and don't do anything without permission!Its courtesy!

I rarely notice when folks go aground - maybe I am too busy with the calendar or setting up races or buddy-ups - but if I do and it is someone I know then I will usually email them a warning after shouting out in chat. These days folks pick up emails on-the-fly so I have on occasion in reply been asked to make an interim course correction or unbeaching... no biggie! I don't take that to mean I am to steer their boat until further notice and make them aware that I will not be doing that! If I don't get a reply then I use my own judgement of the situation.

P.S. please try to keep the discussion on point,impersonal and positive
--------

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2011-07-15 10:16:07 ---
Beautifully summed up by Rainbow Chaser, and I do believe the original question has now been answered - see thread title - maybe now's the time to let this thread die, agree that those with the strongest feelings will probably never quite see eye to eye on this subject, and just enjoy the sailing.

Now, has my tall ship hit the rocks or not... better go and see.

Rich

Page: First Previous 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client