Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Round North Island 2011 - Course Suggestions

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Tazu -- thanks for spotting the error at Napier Mark, it has now been fixed to ensure the fleet passes it to starboard!

76T -- please would you post the polar for the Young 11 if you think that will make us a little more competitive.

The race will be run as the North Island Circuit (probably without stops) to avoid any chance of copyright problems with the IRL race organisers.

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2011-01-19 13:17:02 ---
SOLer WairuaExpress is sailing in the IRL Round North Island race and SOL is hoping that we will get the technical side set up so that Open Country (Wairua's real boat) will appear on the SOL race screen. The SOLgods and others are working to get this set up.

Thus, it would seem more appropriate to try and match what the IRL fleet will be doing.

In his latest email WairuaExpress has indicated the following possible times for each leg of the race:

I think I told you that we have 3 stops in the race!

Manganui, 24 hrs
ETA Sun 20th Depart Mon 21st

Wellington 48 hrs
ETA Fri 25th Depart Mon 28th

Napier 24 hrs
ETA Wed 02 Mar Depart Fri 04

AKL Finish ETA Sun 06th Mar.

( well that's the game plan - but the Weather Gods will have the final say!
UNQUOTE

For SOL to run similar legs would therefore seem most appropriate... we could even run the timing as we are doing with the Global Challenge i.e., using the SOL winners arrival as the trigger for the "overnights".

What do you all think please?

-------------------------
1 February: I have now added the four courses to the SOL database so we are "set"!!

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2011-02-01 11:14:51 ---
WairuaExpress is currently sailing Open Country round to Auckland.. follow his route here

ably assisted by crew Fuse

Hi All,

I'm Cameron, chairman of SSANZ. I'd like to see a online RNI to replicate our race so that shore based supporters can have a go too. I can put a story on the official SSANZ website and links from the homepage so people know it's happening. Ultimately I'd like to replicate the actual race as close as possible and as such could email start times for legs etc as soon as they are notified. Please contact me on thorpecameron@xtra.co.nz if you wish to pursue this further.

Cameron
Hi Cameron

Your post is a delightful and very welcome surprise out of the blue!

I have just emailed you but also wish to say here that SOL will be very happy to "buddy up" in a virtual capacity with SSANZ for its Round North Island race :-)

regards

Joanne / RainbowChaser
SOLgoddess (Races)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2011-02-13 01:14:56 ---
Just an update for anyone following this thread. The great news is that SSANZ is very keen on buddy-ing up with SOL for this year's Round North Island race so that supporters and family members of those racing the real race will be able to sail it virtually.

SSANZ is the New Zealand "home" of short-handed offshore racing so, who knows, but this may be the beginning of a great relationship between SOL and SSANZ!!

:-)
A hearty WELL DONE! to the SOLGods and Goddess! This is certainly the best virtual-sailing experience AND community available. Expect more groups may follow the lead of SSANZ.
Good Stuff!
Excellent catch Taz! Question should be referred to the designers, but IRL there is a stop at Napier, so I assume that the intention was to pass it to Stb.

Yes there are a bunch of representative boat we could use. The 88 is a popular class, and we have a great polar, but it's a bit small for this type of race. There are a couple of Young 11s in the entry list that I have polars for.

I'm happy with the boat as-is. I'll post the polars for a couple of alternates anyways. Doesn't hurt.
Hi 76Trombones,
You mention you have polars for young 88's. Any chance I could get a copy? I'm a young 88 owner in Brisbane and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to see the polars for the 88's.

Regards,

Ashley
Hi Ashley

I have just checked the Boat Types link at the top of this forum and found this:

http://daysailer.wordpress.com/2010/10/27/young-88/#more-254

hopefully that will give you the info you need!! :-)
Hi Ashley. The image for the Young 88 is still on Sol'd but the text download is missing. It can be accessed here:

http://race.sailport.se/site_media/vpp/young_88.txt

One of our NZL boats provided that one I think.

Here is an ORC certificate for an (older) French Young 88:

http://www.ffvoile.net/ffv/public/habitable1/orc/certifs/pdf/11024a.pdf

"gain au vent/sous le vent" are VMG at the angles specified.

Hope that helps!

76T

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client