Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Support » False TWA = 0

Page: 1 2 Next

This is more in the nature of a report than an actual, perhaps, technical issue.

During this finishing portion of the Barentsz Run I experienced 2 instances where my boat "flipped" to TWA = 0, without any apparent obstacles.

On approach to the Kappe Linne mark there are two long sections of coastline. Having made a nominal turn at approx. 14.5E/77.2N I made a course adjustment to the far end of the first coastal section & pointed my boat using the Wheel icon to clear the next apex in my path. According to my predictor line this would take about 4 hours time to clear.

My constant bearing was 341.75 and at max zoom I had at least 6 boat widths clearance from the landform. This was a gradual near parallel course. I was surprised to notice not long afterwards, when I returned to check my progress, that my boat was head into wind.

My first instinct was to get underway immediately without understanding what had caused my predicament. My boat was put underway with a bearing 341.50 and while close to land I was not as tight as many other occasions during SOL events where I have skirted the coast without incident. I reset the bearing to 341.75 which was still a near parallel course.

The second incident occurred in near proximity to where Garganey also reported a like anomaly at approx. 14.365E/77.225N. You will notice a distinct veer in his course away from the coast at that point as a result.

Now, as this was a long race with several episodes of interrupted sleep I considered the possibility of having been tripped up by a delinquent DC left unintentionally in the buffer. After the second occurrence I changed my password.

Then other boats began to mention having similar experiences in the chat. The most notable of these was Nacrr who was dueling with the redoubtable Jepson for a high finishing position.

Now, of course, one could speculate that there was some overlay discrepancy between where the land was shown and where the server expected it to actually exist. Further speculation might suggest that the high latitudes for the race caused a loss of precision for the alignment that normally exists in other venues.

This is the report that RC asked me to provide, others may recount their own experiences here should they so choose.
None so blind
Same happened to me! I was on 10th place and looking for a good position in the end. Instead I got 42nd!
nacrr
I saw the aftermath of the shore-run the other night and it looks like the boats "crashed" into the beach... There have been several times that we've noticed boats "jumping" sideways by one server refresh on otherwise straight courses. They don't show up as kinks in the track - SOL seems to shift the whole track.

I don't remember which race it was but fairly recently there was an occurrence of a boat having rounded (and correctly scored "rounded") where sometime after the fact his track was shifted by one refresh-jump to stb so that the displayed route no longer appeared to pass properly.

It seems like *maybe* sometimes the boats move from one update cycle to another, and somehow the position is recalculated to compensate. Most places you'd never notice, but on a long run up the beach...

Pure speculation, but what I saw didn't look like phantom commands. Only the tech crew knows.

In the meantime, staying one "jump" offshore might make sense.

---Just realised that the tracks pre-collision still showed properly offshore... who knows?
A2, are you sure that you were entering a CC course. A TWA course will change over an update.
Also, I have noticed in the last couple of months the predictor line cannot be totally trusted, especially on TWA courses.
The other thing is that lack of sleep can cause lots of things...like forgetting DCs that should have been canceled. At least those type of things happen to me.
A couple of years ago we did have the dreaded TWA-0 bug that seemed to strike randomly. But that was on the old Open GL client. The flash client seems to be a lot more stable. (We used to think that Jakob put it in on purpose because he claimed not to believe it existed. ;-) ). It just became one of those things that we lived with, like IRL sailing stuff happens...masts break, spinnys blow up, rudder shafts give out, etc.
Not saying that what happened wasn't some glitch in the server. After all it did show show bright daylight above 70 N when everyone knows that the sun won't come up in Longyearbyen till Feb 16, 2011.
Re: Jack

I am absolutely Positive that I was navigating with a Constant Course Bearing which is why I included that wording in my description.

In my judgment there was something amiss from personal observation and from comments posted in the chat during the race.

My mention of the predictor line was in reference to the time involved to emphasize the gradual nature of my course relative to the coast.

I was reticent to bring this topic to the forum as my placement in this race was not critical (Near 80-90 at the time of these incidents) nor am I involved in the member rankings overall.

I am well aware of all the usual circumstances in which a sailor erroneously claims that the "System ate my boat" & cries Wolf, only to later sheepishly admit to some operator error as the true culprit.

I therefore did not dash off some hastily written J'accuse diatribe in the heat of the moment but rather waited until the race had run its course for me as well as others and then and only then at the behest of RainbowChaser to place these observations here so that they might attract the attention of those who in this particular race had any similar problem.

The purpose of this thread is for those who were so affected to briefly affirm the existence of a general condition rather than a mere isolated incident.

--- Last Edited by Hubert Bonisseur at 2010-12-06 10:07:27 ---
None so blind
The boat I was sailing was "nacrr" and I was sailing in "cc". I am also sure that I had no forgotten "dc" programmed.
My distance to shore was close but on a clear parallel.
I was in 10th just behind jepsom and it was a clear disappointment to see this happening.
nacrr
Just wanted you guys to know that we keep an eye on this. One question, were you sailing *very* close to land? On some maps SOL allows zooming into centimeter-precision which makes it possible that the precision at which the calculations are made (even though correct) can come into play. I'm not saying this happened here, I simply have no data to support that, but it could be one reasonable explanation.
Some were. I mentioned to someone that he was closer to land than I ever dared to and that I thought that perhaps that caused it.

HTH, HAND,
Philip
Yes I understand your concerns regarding how close is too close.

In my normal experience I was not pushing against the shore to be as close as possible, instead I had made a reasonable turn and then pointed to the end of a perfectly straight coastline. I had indicated where this occurred and you may review the tracks of those boats already mentioned or even bring back back that coastal stretch for further testing if there are any concerns as to whether this was in part due to the higher latitudes at which this race was conducted.

I also recall that Yorkshire Pudding was stymied in like fashion in near vicinity to where these events occurred.

In the recent Norrtelje archipelago. race I indeed came as close as possible, much closer than the race we are discussing, and never once had any unintended interuptions to my voyage.
None so blind
I was navigating quite close to land, but I still could see a reasonable gap between land and the boat when fully zoomed in.
nacrr

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 2 - Great Sandy Stait

Get ready for another spectacular day on the water with the second and final race of our thrilling series! This time, the challenge extends to an ambitious 21-nautical-mile course through the scenic Great Sandy Strait of Australia. After a joyful post-race BBQ, our daring sailors will once again take the helm of their Seascape 18s! Expect more high-speed action, strategic sailing, and, of course, another fantastic BBQ to celebrate the end of this exciting series!
Race #1802
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
May 8 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 04th 21:30 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
May 7 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client