Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Sailonline Yacht Club (SYC) Rankings

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

I'm all for creating divisions as far as ranking is concerned. However I enjoy competing against everybody at the same time; routers, non-routers, AI's, ET's, etc. I believe splitting the fleet into different starts is counterproductive in a "the best brings out the best" kind of sense. There's a ton of very talented IRL sailors on SOL, most of them are at the top of the leaderboard consistently REGARDLESS of the tools they choose to use and I like trying to match wits with them. It's a game and the point of the game is to get to the finish line before your adversary, but most of the time I see it as a learning tool, I enjoy it when I screw up and I enjoy it a little bit more when I do well. The point is I always enjoy it.

Regards,

Antonio
Schakel, you have some good ideas in your text, please let me quote this here for easy reference to everybody:

-- Schakel's text attachment: --

Class racing

The system I want to propose is an addition to the current SYC ranking. The entire Sailonline fleet would be split up into several groups or classes, based on past performances. For instance, the top 25 ranked sailors would constitute a Pro Sailor Class (or Skipper Class, whatever you want to call it). A second group, for instance the currently ranked 26 – 75 sailors, go into a the Semi Pro Sailor (or Navigator class) and so on. The number of classes would depend on the total number of Sailonline members.
Races would be held as normal and each race would see one overall winner plus a winner in each class. This will ensure that more participants will have something to race for, even victory or podium places within their own class. Sailors who are not using or opposed to weather routers need no longer need to frown at routers, because they are in a competition of their own and at the same time can be proud when doing well overall without any aids. It will introduce into the game the spirit of racing against ones peers.

Promotion and relegation

To add a certain level of competition to the opposite ends of a class, to prevent a class from being dominated or to allow 'weaker' class members an opportunity to do well in another class, there should be rules for promotion to or relegation from a higher class. Promotion or relegation could be done either after each race, monthly, 2 monthly or even 3 monthly, and be dictated by the low-score rankings.
To increase opportunities for promotion, bonus races restricted to a single class could be held. Sailors may opt to voluntarily relegate by skipping a few races or “coasting” in them. In order to prevent bouncing back and forth between two classes, there should be a time restriction for being able to promote after having been relegated.

The browser client

Ideally, the client would show at least all members belonging to the sailor’s class as boats so he/she can easily identify against whom he/she is racing. Other boats could be shown as the familiar dots, possibly with the exception of the overall podium places.

Different polars

Once a class system is in place, several other options would become available. Besides organizing bonus races as mentioned above, it would be possible to assign different polars to different classes. This could not only serve to prevent one class from following another, it could also affect allround race results by giving the slower polar to the better sailor.
Another idea could be to grant certain classes full access in some races to Sailplanner to show the benefits of weather routing, give tactical insights, etc.
_/)_/)_/)
The sea is lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to sail before I sleep, And miles to sail before I sleep.
Hello All!!!!
Thanks schakel I do agree with Brain!!!! there s some good ideas in your text!!! :-)
not very sure regarding polars...
But still as long as we can have fun all together!!!!!!
just a few words to return to the little war between routers and not routers: routers are not a problem at all!!!! progressing in commpetition is a question of time you spend on the race and the way you learn at every race!!!!!when I started 6 month ago I was not in the top 20 at all!!!!!!!!I dont plan to be number one at all!! my plan is to to have fun and to learn something new every time!!!!
I understand that it can be frustrating sometimes!!! lollll and usually I m mad against myself lollll not against routers lolllllll but it s part of the game!!!! And when you compet in real it's the same!!!!! ;-))
Attachments
If we want a division system it must be dead simple and users should grasp what it roughly is about without reading any text. My experience in making software and websites is that if more than 3 words placed together, most users won't read read what it says regardless of placement. So let's keep it reasonable simple at least :) Stuff like staggered starts is IMO way to complicated however I'm open anyone to try to prove me otherwise!
Hi all!
to be short I like the actual system, even if I am a SOTP (using brainaid as router sometime eheh) .
The only little thing that I am missing is a Nation ranking ;-)
bye!!!
The only little thing that I am missing is a Nation ranking ;-)
Indeed!

Wiz' system was very well received and I think that the "newbie" category probably served as a bigger incentive for recruitment and retention (the real problem?) than any manipulation of the SYC could be.

Mostly off-topic, but the "series" category on the front page would probably be more relevant if thinned down to active and most recently concluded series.
My 2 cents:
Dividing the Rankings into Divisions is OK, unless it didn't lead into dividing the Fleet. Things like hiding the other Divisions or seperated Starts may be done occasionaly, but should not get normality.

For me it would be more important, to get a Ranking based on the Skills rather then on time spent on racing. Something like counting the best x Races during the last y Months. Maybe 24 Races in 12 Months. That would give skilled SOLers the Chance to get on top Rankings without doing every Race, but no one would be punished for doing so.

If there is a possibility to compute the finishing-times, it would be possible to compute something like a personal Handycap.
Let's say the Braintrain finished a 1000m race in 10 hours less than the medium SOLer. That would give him a Handicap of 36 for the next race, which means he has to be 36 sec/nm faster than the medium Sailor to be equal. After some time of collecting data, it should be possible to get to fair Handycaps, so it gets possible to compare even Routers to Non-routers.
Time-on-time performance handicapping could be doable as a complementary ranking alongside the "Normal" one. The SYC would look identical to the way it is now, with an extra column for handicap.

You'd need two leaderboards: the offical one and one for corrected tim for those interested.

Might be kind of neat, in that it would give you three performance measures for every race: Actual placement, corrected result and your handicap itself... Your ToT # would give another read on your progress, and it could be used occasionally to assign classes for mixed-fleet racing etc.

If you wanted to designate a division (in name/result, not physically separate) you could do it on handicap rather than rank. The calcs and the result are essentially the same.

Maybe the best "feature" is that it would be almost entirely optional. Everyone who likes things simple free to disregard.
We all know who our competition is.

I certainly know mine;
I know the ones that I can overtake without much effort, I know the ones that are always around me and I certainly know the ones that even with two eyes wide open it is hard to pass.

To me one of the greatest satisfactions of SOL is the fact that we play all together, we see all boats even the ones that we perceive to be better, so it gives a lot of satisfaction when we are ahead of them or even finish ahead. To divide the fleet and worse to hide the classes from one another it will take that pleasure away.

Please don’t divide the fleet and I am strongly against different sets of polars in the same race (With the exception of the annual IMSYC race).

What is next? We will be discussing the rules to get promoted or demoted?

Regards,
Antonio (zero)

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client