Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Router Shootout - Software Test (Review)

Page: 1 2 Next

Hi!

I decided to do a "Test Drive" of some well known and readily available Software Routing Programs. This is MY perspective of Sailplanner, Expedition, and Bluewater Racing, and criticism of any kind to my comments is more than welcome. I'm no authority on routing software, just a regular guy tring to sort things out. The purpose of this test was to see how they stack up against each other and point out some of their pros and cons. The course utilized for the test is the upcoming Ouzo Rally, the polar file (First 407 basic txt file) and the grib file (weather_36_global_gfs_20100715_1138.grb) used are the ones from brainaid's site. So all programs are "fed" with the same data. As far as I know Sailplanner's weather provider is the same as SOL, with the caveat that SP's weather is interpolated in a different manner from SOL's weather, so we are not using the same grib file for SP's routing but it should be close. All polar files are EXACTLY the same. All races were started at the same time 7/15/2010 12 UTC. So with all the aforementioned caveats, lets get to the nitty gritty.

Sailplanner (www.sailplanner.net) in my opinion is the easiest one to use, but that user friendliness comes at the price of flexibility and a few advanced features. First in SP you don't have the freedom to choose your grib files, they are dowloaded directly from sailport's server for the area of the world where your course is. Setting up waypoints in SP is pretty straightforward as it will parse almost any format of degrees minutes and seconds which is pretty cool, and its graphical user interface beats the others in my opinion. As usual on the first try SP will route over land, then it will remove any gridpoints that are over land and proceed to re-route. See attached pictures. For the Ouzo Rally course SP gave a ETA of 7/16/2010 02:50 UTC roughly 14.8 hours. One thing SP sorely needs is to have the ability to output the routing results into a text file, and the ability to save prior routes. When comparing the attached pictures you will see that SP is up to par with the other two programs, specially when routing around land.

I got a 30 day trial license for Expedition (www.iexpedition.org), the program costs a whooping $1,250.00 US. During the trial period you can test all the features of the program, it is NOT a watered down version. Most of these features apply to short course stuff which we don't use on SOL. Setting up waypoints is not as intuitive as SP but its not that bad once you get used to it. Since Sailplanner's Ultra High resolution grid longest dimension was roughly 1.2 nm I set Expedition to a routing resolution of 1.0 nm. On its first try Expedition quickly routed above land, (as expected), even when selecting the avoid land option!! For the second try I added some exclusion zones (i.e. land) and this time Expedition gave an acceptable route with an ETA of 7/16/2010 02:42 UTC (14 hours 42 minutes 38 seconds).

Bluewater Racing is freely available from www.bluewaterracing.com . It's not as user friendly as Sailplanner, so I suggest you thoroughly read the manual (twice) before starting to fiddle around with it. Once the waypoints were setup I proceeded to optimize the route with a time resolution of 0.1667 hours (10 minutes which is the same as SP) a grid size of 1 nm, a distance resolution of 60.0 nm (default) which refers to some flat earth approximation mumbo jumbo... and a Max Range of 10 nm (tells the program the allowance for the longest section of routing). As expected it routed over land. Getting Bluewater to not route over land is harder than in Expedition or Sailplanner. A few marks (one at Vouliagmeni, one at Charakas) had to be put into place to force Bluewater into an acceptable route. The output on the 2nd try (blue route) was suspect, since the prior route (red) favored a more northerly approach to Kythnos. I added a couple more marks, one at southern Kea and one at northwestern Kythnos. This 3rd optimization gave a slightly faster route (purple route) than the blue route with a northerly approach to Kythnos. The Blue Route had an ETA of 7/16/2010 03:06 UTC, the Purple Route had an ETA of 7/16/2010 02:53 UTC for the sake of comparison, the Red Route (useless since it goes over land) had an ETA of 7/16/2010 02:49 UTC.

Other observations

It seems to me that Expeditions weather interpolation scheme is the one that most closely resembles SOL's weather interpolation. All of these programs are intended as IRL tools so why doesn't Sailport use this same interpolation scheme on Sailplanner is beyond me. Sailplanner and Expedition automatically compute the best VMG angles for upwind and downwind from polar data. Bluewater doesn't. In Bluewater you have to TELL the program which are the best VMG angles for pure upwind and pure downwind for each windspeed. The second entry on each line of polar data tells Bluewater which is the best upwind VMG angle. The second to last entry on each line of polar data assigns the best downwind VMG angle. From the polar file we can see that Bluewater thinks that 52 degrees is the best upwind VMG angle for all windspeeds and 150 degrees is the best downwind VMG angle. Experience tells us that is is totally wrong. Is this the reason for the highly suspect blue route? I think so, but more on that later.

Conclusion

All of these programs will give pretty much the same output given the same data. The uncertainty on the next weather forecast is greater than the differences in output from one program to the next. So anyone using these tools will get decent results as long as they don't blindly accept the output. I usually treat the output as if it were wrong, I analyze it and if the analysis makes sense, then I trust it.
Hi Exmeromotu,

I use prettier colours for my routing :)
Attached is an example.......
Attachments
No you dont sol........NZL_undercover does
Here is a race day followup to the Software Test:

Sailplanner has an ETA of 7/17/2010 22:07 UTC

Bluewater;

All the routes pictured in Bluewater are within 1 minute of each other. I played around with the grid dimensions to see if I could get it to route without going over land. I finally did (Red Route) with a grid dimension of 0.25 nm! No additional marks to "force" the route were necessary. I also fine tuned the polar data so that the program knows which are the optimum VMG angles. ETA's range between 7/17/2010 22:01 UTC and 22:02 UTC

Expedition:

I drew some exclusion areas (land) utilizing the coast profiles from the SOL chart. ETA is 7/17/2010 21:59 UTC using the middle of the line as finish point. The three legs from Kythnos to Paros are for the different arrival points.

Conclusion:

Once I fine tuned Bluewater's polar file and grid dimensions I could get it to route avoiding land. So all the software programs could handle the land obstacles decently, albeit with some user help. Sailplanner needed the least user input as far as land avoidance is concerned. Expedition needed the most user input to avoid land, and Bluewater was somewhere in between since you had to fiddle around with grid dimensions. It should be noted that all these programs use different Charts with different coastline resolutions, so the routing over land problem would take a whole new perspective if we were doing this race IRL. Once again all software programs give more than decent results their differences resulting in mainly the way they interpolate the weather. Some human intervention is needed in all of them to fine tune results.

On a "Price/Performance Ratio" well Bluewater is free , Sailplanner costs $89.00 and Expedition costs $1,250.00.

On a "User friendliness/Performance Ratio" I would rate Sailplanner first, Expedition second and Bluewater third. Expedition and Bluewater have more flexibility and features than Sailplanner though. Attached are Race day pics enjoy.
Attachments
In software that supports it, a "trick" that's a good look into what is going on for those wanting to learn from the software: Instead of routing to both ends/middle of the finish, turn on forward-isochrones for a visual representation of the fastest target.

This works even when the line is long and an intermediate point may be fastest.
Cool Trick! Didn't think of it. I was doing it "the hard way", nevertheless, I was aiming for the "fastest point" of the line, and the Isochrone trick confirmed it!! Nice!!
For those interested...

I raced the Ouzo race completely on DC's (no human interviention) using Expedition. I didn't hit land and I arrived 3 seconds earlier than scheduled... however 39 boats sailed faster than I did. The top boats beat me by 30 seconds!!

Granted, it was a short race and not very router friendly (lots of obstacles) but nevertheless, a pad, pencil & longhand calcs with a little bit of knowhow will produce awesome results too!!
Thank you Exmer for sharing with us this interesting comparison :)
I raced the Ouzo race completely on DC's (no human interviention) using Expedition.
(Unquote)

I'll do you one better: racing the Scurry timed race on 1 manually entered command, one to get the boat going. All other commands are input by a tool. Can you guess?

Philip
Attachments
Looks pretty slick Schakel! Cool!

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 2 - Great Sandy Stait

Get ready for another spectacular day on the water with the second and final race of our thrilling series! This time, the challenge extends to an ambitious 21-nautical-mile course through the scenic Great Sandy Strait of Australia. After a joyful post-race BBQ, our daring sailors will once again take the helm of their Seascape 18s! Expect more high-speed action, strategic sailing, and, of course, another fantastic BBQ to celebrate the end of this exciting series!
Race #1802
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
May 8 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 04th 21:30 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
May 7 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client