Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » race closure methodology proposal

Page: 1 2 Next

Ciao all
It has been discussed in chat as to how races should be closed and when , with special regard to timed ones .....I offered to make a proposal for all to evaluate and discuss ....It is attached here ....good reading and lots of comments please ...;)
Excellent WIN - thank you very much for this. Very clear, very coherent - key will be to get agreement on the % / formula to determine an appropriate Race Closure time.

Iwill re-read in the morning and, hopefully, many other SOLers, some of whom are IRL sailors, will do the same and give us feedback!!

Clarity on how different races close will manage expectations and hopefully avoid any sense of unfairness that might otherwise prevail.
I agree that there should be a set rule for closure of registering and running races.

Not sure that 2 hours for every 100 mi is good. I can see instances where a 500 mi race (say in Mini 6.5s) might take as much as three~four days (see Dubai / Muskat Races #1 and #2). Conceivably one could start as much as a day late with the right wind conditions and do well.
On the other hand, even though it was a fun little race, there was no reason for the Twister to remain open for 2 days.

Maybe just say a day for races up to a 1000 mi, then 2~3 hours per 100mi for longer races.

For timed races I think the trick is to keep them open long enough for everyone to get a chance at a good weather window.
In the current race around Sicily the race was only open for a couple of days, then reopened. Perhaps there should have been 2 seperate races #1 and #2. We have done this before. Timed races used to be filler races between races. A couple of years ago we only had a 2~3 of races a month (or one long race). We did St Malo around St Martins (I think) 3 times. One I believe was open for near 2 weeks.
I'm not sure if we should do long timed races like the TransAt last winter, to me the Malta around Sicily to Malta is at the upper limit in length for a timed race. 12 up to 24 hours is best I think.

As to how long timed races should remain open, I think 9~10 days. In my experience weather cycles seem to run in 9~10 day cycles. In winter, maybe 4~5 day cycles. Otherwise, open for 3~4 days, then later open same course as other race for 3~4 days.

As for when to close the line. I see no reason for any race to remain open for 3-4 weeks after the first boats have finished. Maybe for long races 24~36 hours after 1/4 ~ 1/3 of the fleet has finished. And for shorter races surely no longer than 24 hours.

--- Last Edited by captjack1942 at 2010-06-21 21:49:08 ---

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2010-06-22 08:59:15 ---
My 2 cents:

Race closure ( client unaccessible ):
Winston, I agree with your proposal.

Race registration:
I see no reason for a race be open for more than 2 hours after the start. Even the long races. (I know that I may get eggs thrown on my face by saying that)

But my reasoning are two fold;
1- we have races all the time here, if you miss one just wait a few days for the next one.
2- SOL has a fantastic way to set DC's and now with the Brainaid's tool box open to everyone is even easier to set delay commands.

Another thing more or less related to this;
In my opinion we don't need to be inventing new races all the time. There are several great races that can and should be repeated often. So if someone missed the start window in one of their favorite races he/she knows that in a few months that particular race will be on schedule again.

Sail on ...

Antonio (zero)

--- Last Edited by zero at 2010-06-22 01:00:04 ---

--- Last Edited by zero at 2010-06-22 01:05:49 ---
Quite often the number of registrations nearly doubles in the hours or even days following the actual start of a race. So apparently, there is a demand for post-start race participation which I think is justification enough to keep registration open for much longer than proposed. Server capacity is not an issue until around 1750 to 2000 boats which with the current numbers means as many as three races could be run simultaneously.

Also, I think races are attractive to newcomers. Contrary to races open for practice, active races are often chatty so any newbie can jump right in and get a proper feel of the game as well as the atmosphere. So with the present number of races being held, at least one of the active races should be open for registration pretty much all of the time, except timed races. Closing races sooner makes SOL an exclusive yacht club which at this time is ill-advised.

Philip
I widely agree with Schakel.

Online-Racingservers with no opportunity to Race are quite useless!
Our Community does not only consist of frequent Users like the Ones diskussing this Topic. I'm quite sure, that there is a large number of occasional Racers, which don't think about SOL in RL-busy times, but come back in RL-quiet times, with the intention to do some SOLing just for fun. Therefor without knowing what races are scheduled and when they had to be here for registration.
Maybe for these Users competing isn't the main Issue, but to see the boat moving. For competition they may be fine with checking their advancement against the boats in the neighborhood.
And of course, a Newcomer stumbling upon this Online-Racing-Site will leave immediatly if there actual isn't any Chance for Online-Racing.

So i think there should allways be at least one Course open for Registration (and SOLing) and it should be a frequently used course, so Newcomers get the Chance to experience this special community by chating.

Regarding the closing time Issue i would suggest, to use the finishing time of the Winner plus about one or two hours each 100 miles length. That would give late Starters(within reasonable bounds) the opportunity to compete by at least roughly comparing their finishing times with the winner's.

And at least a note to the third of Winstons Rules:
An Exception should be... well... exceptional! :-)
That means, there should be at least a reasonable Argument more than pleasing the Majority for making an exception. Otherwise we will end up in making a poll for every case, just to find out if a Majority may be pleased by this Exception. ;-)
Just to clarify my last post,

My post was written based on the assumption that the server has a limit of boats it can handle before gets painfully slow.

My point of closing the race soon would be void if there was no limit on the server.
I understand that my idea is bias to the hard core sailors among us.

All I want is to give one more point of view to help the SOL gods make their decision.

Let me ask a technical question here:

What if we limit the participation to a certain number of boats and the race is closed only and when that number is reached? (A number that is large enough for newcomers and small enough not to get the server to respond with annoying delay)

Cheers,
Antonio (zero)

Hi all ;)

with a couple of exceptions I feel as the spirit that drove me to start this thread has not been understood , although quite spelt out. I offer the following facts :

1- available races have triplicated or more in recent months .
2- Each race is already open and closed, but we do not know when . Suggesting a rule would increase awareness of what is/will be available to solers.
3- Chatters would still have anything from 3 to 7+ days to register themselves in any race between opening and closure , besides the ability to register as sol from before opening to closing( enough time ? )
4- the american server has already gone belly up ( remember ? ) and we are ONLY living on the swedish former backup.
5- Sol is in spirit property of every soler...surely not an exclusive yacht club , nor a place where some should be seen as professionals of racing trying to rule out the rest ....this is totally untrue .

Contributing to sol SURVIVAL ,growth progress and improvment is the only objective everyone of us surely has .

ciao all .....as Antonio says :

my three cents ..( the third is the reward SYC professionals get for high ranking ! ) ....;);););)

WIN
Test, so that i don't lose all tekst again, allthough when posted, this tekst makes ab-so-lute-ly no sense
Now it works!
What does SOL want to be? is the question i am asking myself. I hope it wants to stay close to what it makes attractive. Friendly, helpfull, feeling of being part of a small somewhat crazy club anf loads of FUN!
Next to that it is a strategic sailinggame. I like the idea that you have to make a little effort to get to understand how SOL works. It gives SOL its lovely users so to say.
On the other hand, a possibility should be there to instantly race when someone new has finally found the site.

Conclusion (imho) Make a race, a short one with open registration, run once a day. Could be a fixed course (olympic, up n down, etc) Mark this race with a "get to know SOL" (or somethng like that) button and run it ouside the ranking. Sort of a playground that would be.

Run the other races according to winston's proposals

Greetings Perenkist!

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client