Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Mark Rounding San Juan

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

AS far as I am aware the rules IRL also allow you to cross the finish line from any direction Except in match racing!

Rule 28.1...A boat shall start,leave each mark on the required side in the correct order and finish!!

Pete
First, congratulations to Jakob and Kalle for aligning SOL's mark rounding rules with real life ones.

I did not hesitate to use the old rules as they were. However, I did not like them because they created a lot of confusion.

The race committee has also discussed the existing possibility of crossing the finish line in the wrong direction.

In real races, crossing the line in the wrong direction is not accepted. However, the race committee suggests to leave things as they are.

1. The race design should normally ensure that passing the line in the wrong direction does not provide an advantage.

2. As a result, those who pass the finish line in the wrong direction usually do so because they have missed it in the first place. They have thus already been penalized.

The race committee has decided to acknowledge that there are differences between real and virtual racing. In real racing, it does not happen frequently that the finish line is crossed while no watch is being held, unlike in virtual racing. ;)

For the race committee,

Incognito
I was not in the San Juan race to witness
what transpired there but if an interim
rounding could raise such a ruckus,
then a finish line controversy, where a
final placement would clearly be at stake
has the potential to be more explosive.

I feel the standard that should be
adopted is the one that reflects the
way this matter is handled in high
profile regattas such as the America's
& Louis Vuitton Cups, and the like.

I do not find the example where a boat
just misses the end of the line and must
return to it, to be persuasive in
concluding that "no advantage" exists
under the current state of the rule.

Rather, as Sailors, please tell me,
Do Lay lines matter ?

If a boat has overstood the lay line or
a wind shift has caused a boat to find
itself beyond said line, should not that
boat have to lose ground to return to
the center of the course at some point?

This situation can occur at a distance
from the eventual finish line.

If a skipper has the option of waiting
until after passing the finish line
extended to make this correction,
the wind condition on the line may be
at odds with what may have existed
earlier up the course

This then would present two unequal
choices and offer in some cases an
actual unfair edge.

This is the appropriate test.

Waiting for this to become an Issue
only invites enmity between SOLers
who had previously been friendly
with each other.

Avoiding hard feelings
is my aim in this position

--- Last Edited by Aethereal at 2010-03-21 22:03:01 ---
None so blind
I don't see or have any issues with the recommendations of the race committee. I have tried to envision a situation where under certain wind conditions crossing backwards would be a quicker means to finish than the intended route of the course. So far the only one I can come up with would be a finish line on the back side of an island similar to the way point on the backside of the island in the San Juan race. But assuming that the course is set up in such a manner to remove that scenario I don't see it being an issue. An additional way-point could always be added if necessary to make the back door finish totally undesirable except for the missed finish scenario Incognito mentions in his post.

Thanks for sharing the thoughts and recommendation of the Race Committee.

edit:
Hmmm, I must have been writing at the same time as Aethereal. I don't know the odds of such a thing as he describes happening, but it is certainly worthy of consideration. Is there any reason for a backwards finish great enough to risk such a thing? It is really a shame that someone doing well might be distracted by an IRL situation and miss the finish. But we all face that possibility.

--- Last Edited by Hirilondë at 2010-03-21 18:54:07 ---
II feel the standard that should be
adopted is the one that reflects the
way this matter is handled in high
profile regattas such as the America's
& Louis Vuitton Cups, and the like.
--- Last Edited by Aethereal at 2010-03-21 22:03:01 ---
America's Cup and Louis Vitton Cup Finals are Match Race events - Rule C 2.1. is active: just one direction.
SOL is fleet racing. The committee can decide the cases.

regards

Berth
StuArt -

Thank you

I agree that undeniably this is indeed a fleet race circumstance,

My limited acquaintance with Sailing experience and terminology is painfully obvious.

Perhaps the Volvo Ocean Race would be a better high profile exemplar.

--- Last Edited by Aethereal at 2010-03-22 15:43:34 ---
None so blind
hey VICTORY I would not say that IRL you could cross the finish line from opposite direction and complete the race except if it is not strictly in the instruction to cross from other side.
In fact you could cross it from opposite direction but than recross it back in right direction.The instruction gives you the arrival between two points and by crossing from behind you have not passed between those points in right direction so you must do it by recrossing the line otherwise you have not arrived
hey INCO don't you think that a genoa you have on that boat of yours is to big for that wind.
It is quite deforming yr main.If that is the only genoa you have than you should have opened it more or if you wanted better angle tight the forsail at max. and tight at max. for part of genoa in order to have genoa as flat as possible aft
totally OT:

@Aether: it isn't in your responsibility that the ol' guys from the famous ISAF November meeting are not able to make rules clear, understandable and without playgrounds for cheater and solicitors. Probably its in the nature of the game, I don't know. When I see the changes they made for 2009 - 2011 I am again puzzled: loads of changings about wording - very few about simplify the cases. :-/

We are talking about ISAF rules (formerly aka IYRU) that rule all sorts of sailing worldwide: dinghysailing as well as windsurfing, offhore races and even RC boat racing (sorry about that Rainbow Chaser ;-) )

America's Cup, Louis Vitton or Volvo Ocean have created their own stuff next to the ISAF rules. And many other organisations as well. So we have to face thousands of pages ruling sailing IRL.

We just have to decide, what we are picking out to keep the game as IRL as possible IMHO :)

regards

Stu
Upon further reflection:

With all the races so far conducted here at SOL, if there was the possibility for any complaint to arise over the finish line configuration as it exists, it certainly would have happened by now.

My rudimentary understanding of strategy & tactics as it applies to these events must be lacking sufficient insight to carry this matter any further,

Whether or not my hypothetical stratagem has any merit.
None so blind

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 2 - Great Sandy Stait

Get ready for another spectacular day on the water with the second and final race of our thrilling series! This time, the challenge extends to an ambitious 21-nautical-mile course through the scenic Great Sandy Strait of Australia. After a joyful post-race BBQ, our daring sailors will once again take the helm of their Seascape 18s! Expect more high-speed action, strategic sailing, and, of course, another fantastic BBQ to celebrate the end of this exciting series!
Race #1802
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 21:30 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client