Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Open letter to SRC.

Page: 1 2 Next

Post annotated by RainbowChaser :
This thread was moved from the category Sailonline Yacht Club.
AIS from the brainaid NMEA connection and the sailing robot.

Dear SRC,

If I recall correctly there is an option in the brainaid NMEA connection to uncheck the “AIS Filter/Send own ship”, which I understand as a mean to cut all your boat AIS infos to the “outside”.

But that option just doesn’t work.
Even with the “Send own ship” unchecked in the NMEA connection you still send/receive AIS information from your boat and the others in a race fleet.

In my opinion that is not correct at all, as the AIS should be turned on only by you, as IRL and not by default, in spite of the above mentioned (not working) option.
IRL it is also a skipper’s right.

If you want to, let’s say by safety reasons or to routing purposes, turn on the AIS, you do it then but, if you don’t want, you keep it shut down.
It is simple. It’s about data that should be kept private if/when you want it to be.

That AIS info can also be used in the routing programs (in my case, qTVlm) as a tactical aid where you get relevant data from the other boats.

The actual AIS abnormality associated with the fact that you can also get all the relevant data from all boats in a race, almost in real time (“60 seconds delay”), via the hmm’s site http://sol.hmm.iki.fi/sollog/races/ , is something that not only surpasses the real life sailing as also permits to completely robotize your boat for almost every SOL race.

In this particular chapter you are not anymore using your sailing skills for competing with the others and using the same assets as every normal skipper but, the programing ones, especially if you automate all the routing processes including a particular set of the top boats in a race for “real time” tactical purposes.
Is it fair? I don’t think so.

But more. It wasn’t/is not necessary to have any sound proof that this “auto reality” already happens in certain SOL races because, even the faint possibility of that happening was/is enough to level the odds, starting with the boat’s info that should be released and when.

In this respect the old formula for releasing boats log data - in 1 hour periods - was/is more than suitable and fair to the game.
The actual one, isn’t.

Dear SRC to finalize, two questions.

Are you willing to change the policies for the use of:

1 - AIS?
2 - Boat’s log data releasing?

Thank you.
Sail Fair.
You misunderstand the option in the NMEA proxy; it is not intended to cutoff your boat to the outside world, but rather to control how much information the proxy receives. You have to realize that the NMEA proxy is only a nice wrapper around data that is available to anyone with basic TCP networking knowledge.
Dear Schakel,

Thank you for your aditional info on AIS but it dosen't change what I think the option should give to skippers,above all, only when they need/want to use it.
Not by default.
Sail Fair.
What you see as the AIS function of the NMEA proxy is really nothing more than one more way of receiving some of the very same information that the server sends to the race client over an unencrypted TCP connection. The NMEA proxy just delivers that information in a different format, namely in NMEA sentences.

Not everybody has to rely on the proxy to get to that data. So, as was intended, the NMEA proxy levels the playing field, more than anything, because now that information is available to all, and not just to those who know where to look.
Good morning Schakel.

Again, thank you for enlightenment on the discussion.

Under the AIS technicality I brought to discussion some basic principles I resume here:

- The right to use, or not, the AIS belongs to the skipper, and only to him;

- The info gathered by the AIS - private one, I recall - should not be sent to public knowledge, especially every “60 seconds”;
- SOL main purpose is to offer a sailing simulator, not a programing, and even less a route copy/paste contest;

- You don’t solve a problem that profits/or could profit a particular set of “cyber skippers” by democratizing the error in cause to all the fleet, mainly when we all know the fleet programming skills are everything but equal.
Sail Fair.
FYI, SRC has nothing to do with brainaid's NMEA proxy or my SOL data pages.
content deleted on request of Rainbowchaser

--- Last Edited by sol at 2016-08-17 18:28:20 ---
(regarding <SOL>,<SOL-R>,<SOL-R-H>,<SOL-R-H-P> etc.) With this in mind I made flagpole. There is a SOTP flag for example, you can fly the flag if you don't use a router. There are more flags (I like the "sleepy pennant" as well: missing at least one wx by a couple of hours every day because you're sleeping). If you want a flag "I don't use hmm's sollog or similar", then by all means, create a flag for it, and hoist it on your boat. Convince others to hoist the flag too, and you have your own little "I don't use hmm's sollog or similar"-fleet with your own leaderboard.

When flagpole starts to be used much, we have an argument to create something official that serves the same purpose as the most popular flags on flagpole.

NB: Anonymous posts by "sol" have not really been causing trouble and if they did, the forum can be moderated much more easily than the sol chat.
I discourage posting as sol in the forum, even though it's still possible.

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2016-08-04 21:57:13 ---
Viva Markku,

Good morning.

Thank you for the info but, I already knew it.

The issue here is not who owns the servers (SOL, yours, brainaid, others) but, the disposal, exchange and public disclosure of boats real time race logs.

Please can you confirm if anybody asked me permission to disclose my boat real time race logs?

Thank you.
Sail Fair.
Viva Huib,

Good morning.

Good idea. The only problem I foresee is, in some boats, we don’t have enough rig and cables to dispose all the “I don’t/ use/have..” flags. At some point the flags area will be bigger than the sail one.

Anyhow, thank you.
Sail Fair.

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client