Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » IMSYC 2011

Page: First Previous 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

,My own confusion came from the use of two different measurement systems used in the same table without any indication of what units were actually used. If the quantities had been labelled properly, some 400 people would, perhaps, have noticed, before the end of the race, that there were some inconsistencies in the "uprising" information. WhyNot noticed it first, AFTER finishing.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
I'm WhyNot Rod. For some reason, my name comes up and not "WhyNot":)
Ah! It was good that you noticed. I certainly didn't, until you stated that there was a problem.
It just illustrates how we all accept printed material as correct, and rarely check on these obvious things.
I hope that this doesn't impact too seriously on the student-designer, but I think this problem should be pointed out. As an ex-educator, I know how important these things are in education.
Are you also Arrabiata? I liked your Desk-Top.

--- Last Edited by Rod at 2011-06-16 14:33:20 ---
Nope, Arrabbiata is my Sunwind RC. That name was already taken when I joined SOL
You can (if you want) change your forum display name under "edit profile" over in the login box to the left.

There aren't any inconsistencies with the polars - the text data is the same format for all the boats and the images show the same thing. Uprising was always going to be a fast boat - the designer identified where gains could be made and took advantage of that. Even if you change the 4m/s curve she's still wins, although by a smaller margin. That's immaterial though; everyone knew up front that what you see is what we get.

The glitch(es) in the polar(s) were introduced when the instructors ran the data provided by the student teams. You pay your money and you take your chances. The "design" of uprising is/was perfectly valid.

The single-number handicaps I presented at the start of the race took into account *all* aspects of the IMSYC polars in the expected wind at that time. Like any system, the accuracy of the handicapping varies with weather. A system arrived early and gave a downwind boost to a few boats. Such is life. If someone has archived the race weather I'll be happy to run the numbers with our true wind. Unfortunately I wasn't around for most of this race.

76T
Do you know what program was used to develop the design into the set of polars? My interest is in trying to do the same things for my design of Footy RC boats. I used Prolines 7 to design the hull. but I don't know how to determine the polars & performance.
At a one foot length, I can design, build, and sail my own racing yacht---I somehow doubt if they would yet give me the opportunity to do the same for the America's Cup----!!
Jakob has posted the lecture notes, homework assignments and necessary code for the "Sailing for Performance" course.

The main focus of the course was learning the physics of sailing and developing the VPP rather than the final design. Enough info is presented to duplicate the students' efforts and write your own VPP (in Matlab, but open-source Octave/Freemat should work, or any other language with some changes to the framework). The basic code is extensible - for small boats you'd want to (at least) change the aero/hydro data to reflect scale effects.

Sailing for Performance

There is also a VPP online at polardesigner.org with some familiar names attached ;-). Scale will limit it's use for models, but it's fun to play with, and no code required.

There are some free spreadsheet-based VPPs out there too: "pcsail" comes to mind.

---------------
edited to shorten URL to fit in column

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2011-06-16 21:45:23 ---
Thanks. I will try----but may get swamped!!!
Now that IMSYC 2011 has concluded can we revive your (76T's) 8 Metre Rule challenge using the aforementioned polardesigner.org ?

I have improved my boat & will race against all comers even if that means it is just 76T in a match race.

Once the "Cup" has been Won it will have more value for future competitions.

8^)

None so blind
Still waiting for a polar designer for more than 1 hull ;)
If you're still in control, you're not going fast enough.

Page: First Previous 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client