Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » IMSYC 2011

Page: First Previous 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

,My own confusion came from the use of two different measurement systems used in the same table without any indication of what units were actually used. If the quantities had been labelled properly, some 400 people would, perhaps, have noticed, before the end of the race, that there were some inconsistencies in the "uprising" information. WhyNot noticed it first, AFTER finishing.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
I'm WhyNot Rod. For some reason, my name comes up and not "WhyNot":)
Ah! It was good that you noticed. I certainly didn't, until you stated that there was a problem.
It just illustrates how we all accept printed material as correct, and rarely check on these obvious things.
I hope that this doesn't impact too seriously on the student-designer, but I think this problem should be pointed out. As an ex-educator, I know how important these things are in education.
Are you also Arrabiata? I liked your Desk-Top.

--- Last Edited by Rod at 2011-06-16 14:33:20 ---
Nope, Arrabbiata is my Sunwind RC. That name was already taken when I joined SOL
You can (if you want) change your forum display name under "edit profile" over in the login box to the left.

There aren't any inconsistencies with the polars - the text data is the same format for all the boats and the images show the same thing. Uprising was always going to be a fast boat - the designer identified where gains could be made and took advantage of that. Even if you change the 4m/s curve she's still wins, although by a smaller margin. That's immaterial though; everyone knew up front that what you see is what we get.

The glitch(es) in the polar(s) were introduced when the instructors ran the data provided by the student teams. You pay your money and you take your chances. The "design" of uprising is/was perfectly valid.

The single-number handicaps I presented at the start of the race took into account *all* aspects of the IMSYC polars in the expected wind at that time. Like any system, the accuracy of the handicapping varies with weather. A system arrived early and gave a downwind boost to a few boats. Such is life. If someone has archived the race weather I'll be happy to run the numbers with our true wind. Unfortunately I wasn't around for most of this race.

76T
Do you know what program was used to develop the design into the set of polars? My interest is in trying to do the same things for my design of Footy RC boats. I used Prolines 7 to design the hull. but I don't know how to determine the polars & performance.
At a one foot length, I can design, build, and sail my own racing yacht---I somehow doubt if they would yet give me the opportunity to do the same for the America's Cup----!!
Jakob has posted the lecture notes, homework assignments and necessary code for the "Sailing for Performance" course.

The main focus of the course was learning the physics of sailing and developing the VPP rather than the final design. Enough info is presented to duplicate the students' efforts and write your own VPP (in Matlab, but open-source Octave/Freemat should work, or any other language with some changes to the framework). The basic code is extensible - for small boats you'd want to (at least) change the aero/hydro data to reflect scale effects.

Sailing for Performance

There is also a VPP online at polardesigner.org with some familiar names attached ;-). Scale will limit it's use for models, but it's fun to play with, and no code required.

There are some free spreadsheet-based VPPs out there too: "pcsail" comes to mind.

---------------
edited to shorten URL to fit in column

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2011-06-16 21:45:23 ---
Thanks. I will try----but may get swamped!!!
Now that IMSYC 2011 has concluded can we revive your (76T's) 8 Metre Rule challenge using the aforementioned polardesigner.org ?

I have improved my boat & will race against all comers even if that means it is just 76T in a match race.

Once the "Cup" has been Won it will have more value for future competitions.

8^)

None so blind
Still waiting for a polar designer for more than 1 hull ;)
If you're still in control, you're not going fast enough.

Page: First Previous 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client