Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Sailonline Race Committee

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Hi fellow SOLers....Not being a RL yachty Im not sure of what races are on the calender here in South Africa, but I will find out. One that I recently saw on telly was a neat little drag race down and upwind that started from Simonstown to a buouy at Cape Point and back as an example. Ill get back to the "Committee" on this because there are quite a few offshore races available that might be interesting to do.
George
Excellent! That is what we need.
Looks like everyone is on the same page!

Do we want to start then by fleshing out Incognito's list of "real" races for the next 4 months? - there must be some South American one for instance. The big ones are the races that the calendar needs to be woven around.

How about Dubai-Muscat on Nov 26? Interesting course, and we have some "locals".

Sydney-Hobart is a must. It's probably in the "archive" but it would be a good exercise to flesh it out again.

Short races and "fun" races seem ideal to just maintain a pool that can be drawn from as needed.

Long-duration races need to budgeted carefully as there are only so many slots.
I really like the Viking race as proposed by 76Trombones.

I also have some ideas for races, but I am currently more interested in finding a solid way to organize this Racing Committee...

I think setting up a special part in this forum for the Race Committee is a good start. It will be a good way to receive ideas and discuss them.

It's up to Jakob to tell us how far our autonomy will reach in terms of putting races into the system. And the possibilities of an actual calender on the website with all races 2 to 3 months ahead.
(I am a professional web designer/developer, if there is something I can do to help.....)

In the mean time I imagine the call for a Race Committee is actually providing more work for Jakob (emails and forumposts to read) so I will stop here...

BTW: I am also known as RemyBlom in the game... changed my nick but it appears not to be a global change :S
my other boat is a kiteboard =)
Hi,

I will here try to give you all wonderful SOLers my view of what we need.

The primary objectives of a race committee is to bring structure into the racing and to ease the load aft the current administrators. By structure I mean that SOL wants to offer a balanced mix of races, series etc that welcomes participants from all over by a mix of race formats, race lengths, boat types, starting times etc etc. Some SOL:ers love short races and some love long races. Some loves SLI-hopping and some don´t. Some have professions that does not enable weekday sailing and vice versa. Some even live on the other side of the globe and have spouses with opinions :-).

SOL wants to offer races at all times, there shall always be something happening at SOL. Until now, we have basically just created new races as the current one finishes. Some races have been similar to IRL-races and some have been the result of creativity. Some has been well designed and some…

Through the years we have learned that SOL bring out so much good energy in so many users. The community is nothing less than fantastic. We now dream of a system where some of this energy in a structured way is used to make SOL even better. We want to establish a race committee, or at least some sort of structured system/organization for race scheduling that would ease of the load of the SOL administrators. Currently SOL get quite a lot of e-mails from people with very good and creative ideas for races and improvements that (to be honest) often en up in in an email in-box. One has to realize that SOL is run on very small resources and is administrated mostly at night between evening news and tooth brushing of kids. SOL simply needs more user engagement in the daily work and we hope that there is enthusiasm for these questions out there.

A race committee could maybe:
- Have responsibility of keeping a race schedule available to make race implementation easier and to make users able to plan hers/his racing.
- Create suitable series that improves the racing. (The functionality is implemented)
- Scout for interesting races.
- Prepare races for server implementations (Name, waypoints, texts, boattypes, maps, times etc)
- Do most of the communication with the community regarding races/planning/rankings etc
- Help keeping the manual up-to-date
- Find ways to engage the community (maybe by voting etc) in future development and race planning.
- Maybe develop a system of divisions. (maybe this is the way to separate routers/non-routers?)
- etc

We do not know the best committee size, working methods nor setup but rather hope that this would be the first challenge for the committee to take on. Kalle and Jakob can be members of the committee but will not take on the chair so to speak. I don't even know if what I am asking for is possible but I think it is worth trying. Only very limited amounts of race-committee-tool-development can be done by the SOL admins in an initial phase so we need to come up with simple solutions.

Anyone up for taking the helm the first leg?

/Jakob
...one of the guys behind the game...
Jakob,

Thanks for giving a better job description of the RC's duties. The RC definately needs a Chairman, as well as members from countries in different timezones so as to accomodate a "global" point of view. I do hereby nominate 76T to have first dibs at the Chairman position, since he started this thread! I volunteer for whatever duties need to be done. I'm not up to speed on the technical (computer) side of the job, but I'm willing to learn. On the sailing side I can provide you guys with decent insight, since I've been sailing IRL pretty much my entire life, and that also includes doing my fair share of RC work at the local yacht club.

Looking forward to working hard to enhance SOL's position as the best damn sailing simulation online, and making it even more enjoyable for the online sailing community!

Regards,

Toño
Let me summarize.

The following people have expressed an interest to join the race committee:
- 76Trombones (Sweden?)
- Exmeromotu (Puerto Rico)
- Windjunks! (Netherlands)
- Verboten (USA)
- Paul Rosser (NZ - NZL_PaulR?)
- Jawz (South Africa)
- Incognito (Belgium)

The following races have been mentionned:
- Transat Jacques Vabre: >3000 NM, 8 November
- Dubai-Muscat: ~360 NM, 26 November
- Sydney-Hobart: ~600 NM, 26 December
- Hobart-Sydney: ~600 NM, early January
- Lindisfarne Raid (Viking raid): anytime
- Simonstown drag race: anytime

I believe that the size of the race committee does not require a very formal organization at this stage.

However, I believe we will quickly need a few tools to coordinate the work.
- A calendar that could be edited by all members of the committee to prepare the schedule of races.
- A mailbox that can be read by all members of the committee. My idea is that race suggestions should be send or forwarded to this mailbox.
- A forum with access reserved to the members of the committee. In my idea, this forum should not be used to discuss big policy issues (the public SOL forum is more appropriate for that), but only to organize the nitty-gritty work.

What do you think?

Francois
I will try setting up a Google Calendar. Never worked with it before but it looks promising.
Features are: I can give people the right to add/edit/etc events. All events are public. You can easily embed this calendar in any website. Or you can just import the calendar into your Office suite or iCal for Mac...

Will share the url when I set it up...

greetinx,
my other boat is a kiteboard =)
Yesterday evening, I searched the net further to find 'real' races. Below, some resources that I came accross:
- http://www.imoca.org/races.asp
- http://www.rorc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=23
- http://www.classemini.com/?mode=calendrier&langue=en

If you find other similar resources, please tell us!

Francois
Yesterday evening, I searched the net further to find 'real' races. Below, some resources that I came accross:
- http://www.imoca.org/races.asp
- http://www.rorc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=23
- http://www.classemini.com/?mode=calendrier&langue=en

If you find other similar resources, please tell us!

Francois

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kalamata to Alanya 2024

For the beginning of the ARCH competition's third quarter, we will sail our boat, SOTO 40, from Kalamata, Greece over the Aegean Sea always eastward to the race finish, 520nm away, in Alanya, Turkey.
Race #1824
INFO from brainaid.de
SOTO 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ3 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 22nd 17:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client