Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Sailonline Race Committee

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Post annotated by jakob :
This thread was moved from the category General Discussion.
Anyone who has listened in on the chat or had private discussions with jakob the last little while has probably noticed a subtle "plea for help" tone to the dialog...

Organising races, fielding questions and complaints and responding to a never ending deluge of email adds up pretty quickly - not to mention the day job.

A request has gone out that the SOL faithful form a community driven race-committee. I'm not sure exactly what form that will take, but I do know that there are enough (benevolent) fanatics to take care of much of the grunt work of organising and liaising with the userbase. If we can handle some of the correspondence, revision and decision making duties, actually setting up the races is the "easy" part of the job.

I'm going to suggest that as a start, we use this thread to brainstorm ways that we can assist. I suspect that we'll need a separate sub-forum if this seems like an approach that is appropriate.

76Trombones
The standard form that race suggestions should be submitted in:

1) The coordinates for all waypoints in a list (preferably only using degrees)
2) Race name suggestion
3) Suggested start date and time in UTC
4) Short description (30 words or so)
5) Somewhat longer "invitation" for the SOL front page blog. This might be quite personal and easy-going if you like :-)
6) What boattype would you like?

Race ideas are always welcome - we can help by translating the requests into a manageable package for presentation to SOL. This also means guidance to ensure that races are suitable, debugged, and that we maintain a balanced mix of long and short races in different boats.
...and I kick off the thread by posting while logged in as sol. *more* email for jakob

Regardless of posting clumsiness - everyone has something that they can contribute, whether that is technical knowhow, sailing experience, language skills or just infectious enthusiasm.

76Trombones
You can count me in as Race Committee member, I think it's a great idea. I can help with anything you guys want. Whoever comes up with a race, could be the "Race Comittee Chairman" for that race and all the volunteers could pitch in with the "dirty work". I think it is a great way for more of the less technically inclined SOL'ers to give something back to the community.

Regards,

Toño
Here is an example race suggestion:

1) The coordinates for all waypoints in a list:

Göteborg (Start) 57.68N 11.84E
Lindisfarne (pass West) 55.68N 1.76W
Göteborg (Finish) 57.68N 11.84E

2) Race name suggestion:

Lindisfarne Raid

3) Suggested start date and time in UTC:

Anytime, 12:00 UTC

4) Short description (30 words or so):

A round trip race from Göteborg, Sweden to Lidisfarne on the English coast and back in Viking longships.

5) Somewhat longer "invitation" for the SOL front page blog. This might be quite personal and easy-going if you like :-)

Our neighbours to the East have a habit of concentrating their riches in conveniently located seaside isolation. A short hop across the North Sea, the monastery on Lindisfarne has sandy landing beaches and plenty to plunder. Join us a we set sail from Göteborg and go a viking!

6) What boattype would you like?

Longship "Drake"

--- Last Edited by 76Trombones at 2009-11-10 13:37:06 ---
Attachments
I saw/joined the race committee discusion during the race yesterday and I am interested in joining the Race Committee.

First of all we the race committee should be aware of any technical limitations of the game, like the number of islands :) but also whether there are restrictions of the 'sailable area' because of the importing of weather data. Or whether a race should be time limited (is there extra serverload when a race takes 2 months instead of 1 day?) How many concurrent races can the server deal with?

Maybe Jakob could tell us what he things a Race Committee should do. What are those dirty jobs everyone is talking about? ;)

Let us know!

--- Last Edited by Windjunks! at 2009-11-09 23:18:20 ---
my other boat is a kiteboard =)
Seems like a good idea to me; just let me know what I can do to help.
There are many ways to help.

Last year, I observed many sailors were unsure which way to sail in several of the races. I complained about the Fastnet course. So after emailing Jakob, I wrote many "Sailing Instructions" to assist. I tried to put some local "flavour" into them, including photos of key landmarks, lighthouses etc at turning marks.

Then more development in the racing now has comments attached to rounding points e.g. "Pass to the North West" which then changes to "Rounded".

This then made SI's less important and brainaid developed his automatic system.

One other aspect was that courses were announced prior to the SI's and then the Volvo SI's were only made public after the start of the actual IRL races.

So I am happy to help more again.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough!
Dear all,

I have emailed Jakob to signal him that I was also interested to join the race committee.

I believe that the race committee should first and foremost concentrate on the three following tasks:

1. I believe that SOL is continuously receiving race ideas. However, few of them are anything close to be worked out. The first task is to shift through these ideas and chose which ones should be developped as a matter of priority.

2. The second task is to establish and maintain a race schedule for something like 2-3 months ahead.

3. The third task is to prepare everything for input of the races into SOL, and possibly set up the races into the system. (I do not know to what extent the members of the race committee can be granted access to set up races themselves.)

Regarding the first task, I believe that right now we should start with preparing those races that parallel real ones. There are currently only two such races that spring to my mind: the transat Jacques Vabre which started last weekend (www.jacques-vabre.com/en/s01_home/s01p01_home.php), and the Sydney-Hobart (http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/default.asp) which starts on 26 December. Last year, SOL also added a Hobart-Sydney return race one week later, which is also a good idea.

It is currently the high season in the Southern Hemisphere. I am convinced that there should be other races in that region that would be worth setting up in SOL. As I have no access to the chat during the day, may I suggest to those of you who have access to sound out southern hemishere players about interesting races in their area.

I am sure we will already come up with a new crop of ideas!

Regards,

Francois

I want to try the Viking race :)

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Klaipeda to Helsinki

Welcome to the first of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are being organized in-real-life by Sail Training InternationalThis first race is from Klaipeda, Lithuania to Helsinki, Finland; circa 240nm in Sailonline’s stately fanciful Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1811
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
July 6 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 27th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Haida Gwaii 2024

We will end the second quarter of the ARCH competition with a 390nm race around the Haida Gwaii islands (literally "Islands of the Haida people"), also known as the Queen Charlotte Islands. This is an archipelago located on the northern Pacific coast of Canada. In SOL, we last raced on this route in 2012 and few people remember what happened there. Prepare your Riptide 50 well, it's going to be a lot of fun.
Race #1819
INFO from brainaid.de
Riptide 50 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
July 3 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 24th 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Newport Bermuda Race 2024

The 636-mile biennial Newport Bermuda Race is one of the oldest regularly scheduled ocean races, and with the Fastnet Race and the Sydney to Hobart Race, it is one of the three great classic races of the yachting world. Founded in 1906, this 53rd running of the Bermuda Race can again also be participated in online.
Entries are invited for one of the four divisions:
Double-Handed Division:
Jeanneau Sun Fast 3600
St. David's Lighthouse Division:
Santa Cruz 52
Gibbs Hill Lighthouse Division:
Judel Vrolijk 62
Finisterre Division:
Riptide 50
Details for each yacht are available in the ‘Particulars’ links below. As in real life, you can only sail one boat in one division, so choose your virtual yacht carefully, and because of the unusual (for SOL) 4-division nature of the event, please note results will not count towards any Sailonline rankings.
Race #1808
INFOby brainaid.de
Sun Fast 3600 PARTICULARS
Santa Cruz 52 PARTICULARS
Judel Vrolijk 62 PARTICULARS
Riptide 50 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: None
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 21st 17:05 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Auckland to San Francisco 2024

Welcome back to Auckland as we continue our Round The World voyage. This 5600 nautical miles race from Auckland to San Francisco, first sailed in 2023, is the third leg of the RTW, proposed by SOLer ita10267. It is also the June edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the Swan 65, as in all RTW races this year.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1790
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - OCCH - RTW - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
July 9 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 03rd 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Siaki
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client