Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Support » qtVlm thread

Page: First Previous 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 Next

Hi Satori. I liked your Rum Run report. Figuring out how to squeeze a little bit more out of QtVlm routing is part of the fun for some of us. I think you are on the right track with your experiments. I am still learning too, but some of the things I try are:
1) Using barriers is a good way to force the routing to go around a buoy, or to close off possible paths that lead nowhere (like dead end fjords) and thus made the routing faster.
2) Another way to optimize/simplify faster is by using the "Selection" tool (blue square icon) and only optimize/simplify on that selected part. Much faster, especially on multi-day routings.
3) Watching the isochrones unfold during a routing is important to spot tactical alternatives. I mark them with waypoints and then do separate routings from boat to those waypoints to see how much they differ in time and to see which routes are improving (or getting worse) on subsequent WX updates.
4) As you pointed out in your report, with tallship polars QtVlm can sometimes struggle with the polar hops. You can then see the isochrones behave strangely and may even fall apart completely. Then you have a very unreliable routing. In that case try to route again with longer steps.
5) Varying the step can also give you routes that optimize better. 30 minutes or even 1 hour steps will sometimes give you quicker routes that a routing with 5 minute steps didn't find. Experiment.
6) It's also important to verify. Your boat position after 4 or 5 hours should be very close to where your used routing indicates it should be. If not you may be on wrong polar or be using an out of date grib. Both have happened many times to me. Checking where my boat is helps me to spot those problems.
7) When the routing tackes/gybes a lot it is often useful to adjust the route manually, before simply/optimize. Reduce the number of tacks/gybes can give you a faster ETA.

Good luck.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of the 'selection tool'. I'll have to give it a go.
@Satori Another great race report for the recent Hatteras Sprint. I have had a busy week, so here are my belated comments to some of the points you raise about Qt routing.

It's important to experiment with some settings and find what works for you. This may vary depending on the boat polar and on the type of race.
I always set my crank duration to 1 minute for max accuracy. Simplify/optimize the route will reduce the number of DCs anyway.

In the boat settings for "tacks and gybes" is where many SOLers probably use very different values. This is the part where Qt is the least accurate because the PL loss formula in SOL differs from what Qt does. I prefer to set both tacks and gybes to 97% of polar speed for only 1 crank. In reality, depending on the wind speeds, my PL penalty will be more than that. But I will take that into account when I clean up my route. With those settings I know it will tack and gybe more often than needed. I manually improve my route when it has lots of tacks, as was the case in first part of the race here.
I just tacked manually going on max VMG, and I didn't use the intermediate tack to try to limit PL. In this case the boat speed was mostly around 7 kts. My PL always recovered to 100% within 1 or 2 server updates. Then I don't believe you can gain much by going on a lower speed for 10-20 seconds. That's like giving yourself a 30% performance penalty for 1 or 2 server updates. That doesn't pay off.
At boat speeds of >12kts it becomes another matter.

Where the router was very helpful (and will usually beat sotp navigation) is in the curved passages we had just before and after Hatteras inlet. I believe that's where I gained some time on most of the other boats. This are the type of passages where you can let the wind steer your boat without getting any PL. That's what I did here. I kept switching between COG and TWA to turn my boat to the wanted COG directions.
At Cape Hatteras turn it was of course straightforward, no router needed. Being only 0.01 NM behind I knew there was a chance to win by taking a bit more risk.
What I do there is set a DC that will turn about 10-12 seconds after the Cape. But at the same time I am ready to turn my boat a little bit earlier with a direct command. In this case I probably pushed the command about 8 seconds before the DC would have fired, when I eyeballed my boat to be right at the corner. That put me on inside with a slightly better angle.

It is really small differences that decide this kind of races. You have to squeeze out every inch you can, because many others are doing the same.

For short races like this one I route with 5 minute step. In longer ocean races I usually do 15 or even 30 minute steps. But it is important to test and compare with other step sizes. In some case you get better results with longer steps. Testing = knowing.

@Satori On the topic of NMEA failing to connect. I have had it a few times, but not nearly as often as you report.
Up to know I have always fixed it by closing both AGL and qtVLM. Then first restart AGL and wait until it has properly connected. You can see when it has connected to server. Can take as much as 30 seconds.

Then I restart qtVLM and it always connects to NMEA very quickly.

One thing you may want to check. Click on the boat in top-right in qtVLM to open a bunch of tabs. There is a tab for NMEA and there you can change the "update interval". Mine is set to 3 seconds. You may test and see if other values solve your problems. May too often can cause a bottleneck. Or too infrequent may cause connection loss. Just try.
Attached is the gist of the email I sent to Satori who has indicated he will tidy it up and post it somewhere when he has the chance. Meanwhile, this might help get a few more SOLers into QtVlm and routing in a fairly simple way with instructions which follow the normal sequence of routing using QtVlm for SOLing.

I'll monitor for queries and suggestions and try to incorporate what I can into the tutorial as time permits.

Attachments
One configuration setting which is useful to adjust is under the advanced tab. There you can adjust the amount of detail shown in coastlines. For more detailed routes near land it could be useful to raise the level of detail.
Dingo - would you be happy for me to include that as a QtVLM Quick Guide under the Links tab?
Hi Dingo or anyone for that matter. Question...How do you copy a Location from qt to enter into aGages Optimum Angles Tool to work out the best VMC?
I have worked it out. The coords must be decimal and without the degrees symbols. Set this up in settings. Otherwise its the same almost. Alt and click then there is a box that opens up. Copy the coords into Agages tool and remove the symbols and off you go!
Hello,

I'm new to SOL and I am trying to connect the game to qtVlm ... with some difficulties :-)

I am using the brainaid proxy server to export NMEA data to qtVlm. The server is properly running and qtVlm receives now a NMEA feed (NMEA raw data window shows it).

The brainaid server receives data from a boat that is sailing in the "Shetland race 2021".

The problem is that nothing happens on the screen. The race WP are not shown, my boat is not positioned and all instrument are inactive.

Once qtVlm receives properly the NMEA feed, is there any other setting that is to be activated so that the feed can be processed concretly? Or maybe the feed itself doesn't contain the proper data?

Has anyone of you already had this kind of problem in the past?

Page: First Previous 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client