Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » In memoriam » Aaron James Gage - 1971-2012

Page: First Previous 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next Last

For once I have no words. I have had no words all day since I understood that SOL has changed with the absence of Aaron.

There is nothing to say. Just the pain of saying nothing.

Let Emerson speak:

Death comes to all, but great achievements build a monument which shall endure until the sun grows cold.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fair Winds Aaron. Thanks for all the tips and help with getting started. As I recall Aaron was one of the first people to help me get oriented in the game during Leg 1. I am sad to hear of his passing and will miss him.

My deepest sympathies and condolences to all those who knew Aaron best.

David
The reason for not being able to speak till now rests primerily in the sense of total helpless , the sense of …..total lack of ability to change the fate , or to help who remains here , being family tortured by pain , or friends cluttered in disbelief ……or an entire community , our community , being left without a leading light and so suddenly coping with something never happened before .

In desperate attempt to resolve my helpless inability to speak , and as I said this morning , feeling shameful of being absent within my community , I asked myself what Aaron would suggest me to say ….and us to do , to help him in this moment of pain .

He would say…..” Keep me with you mates”….” Please , make sure my passion for what we have been doing together survives to my silence “…..”Remember me and keep me with you , in your community , fighting with sportsmanship and happiness on all the seas and oceans of the globe” ……

Aaron ..this is what I can do for you !

I can tell all the individuals of this excellent community you so bravely belonged to that they must keep for you the passionate spirit up and running . I can tell them to be proud and honored to be part of your fairy tale , and to carry your passionate too brief life in their hearts , taking SOL to any foreseeable horizon you might have dreamt of .

I can tell the newbies that they are those you worked for and teach them to be proud of that….I can tell the more senior group of solers that it is their duty in respect for your legacy to take the newbies by hand and first tell them who Aaron Gage was ( IS ) and what he meant ( MEANS ) for the community , and then disclose to them the beautiful tools that you devised for them and all of us with passion and superior skills.

At last I found what I can do for you Aaron , and I can smile again …. If this message will go through , you will be soling forever and be with us in every and each race ……. I promise that until we will be a community , you will live as a member , not in memorian , but one with full rights and be on everyone’s lips forever.

And I can tell you ….Aaron …..that in the middle of that night , about a year ago , when you were leading through the rocks of south western Turkey and I was chasing you like a torpedo , with my eyes wide open and my coffee being pumped down like mineral water, when I saw you beaching because your alarm clock did not receive enough attention….I thought you were…...............….YOUNG !....and I envied you a lot……

Thank you for what you gave me
Thank you for what you have given all of us

And

Thank you for being the only one who always insisted calling me by name rather than WIN…..I always thought this was very ….HUMAN….rather than virtual.

Good bye and welcome aboard great young human being……prepare for lots of races on each and everyone of our pinky boats.

Your very human friend…..Piero
Well said - Win. My feeling exactly ...I'm still at a loss for words for this, the parting of a friend on SOL..
Nooo..........I have just read this and can't believe it!!!
What the hell happened??

I got to know Agage well on SOL and when I have been sailing in OZ he has helped me set up some good stuff for real offshore racing. We chatted on the phone one night to the early hours while he patiently talked me through some computer set up stuff.

What a loss to the world.......

Sail well mate where ever you are and make sure that you have everything setup so when we join you we can conquer the oceans together.

Bye My Friend
Aaron by friend.. rest in peace. May the wind be at your back & your arrows red!!

Thanks for your time, your knowledge & your friendship.

Andrew Wilson (NZL Reg)
I cannot better Shamrock Pirates Ode to you, but I wish to pass on my deepest condolences to your family and friends. Sail on in peace Aaron you will truly be missed.

Clive
I just can't believe this awful news. I cannot better the very eloquent tributes to Aaron, only add that it is the selfless people who get involved with community projects who make life so much better for the rest of us. This is a very sobering reminder that we need to let those people know how much we appreciate them while they can hear it.
My deepest, deepest condolences to Aaron's family. He will be sorely missed, but all his work on our behalf will be long remembered.
Tony.
The family is reading our comments!! The mother of Aaron's daughter just posted this on Sailonline's Facebook page:

"Thank you to all the people who expressed their grief at Aaron Gage's passing, I'm Jen, his daughter's mum. All your kind words are beautiful, and comforting for his family to read"

That hits hard... really drives it home... Gutted for Aaron's family.

I actually have a good idea how they feel as we as a family have gone through a similar tradgedy and it is still painfull to bear.

Vince
I like to talk a lot... sometimes I even make sense, mostly not...

Page: First Previous 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next Last

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client