Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » ALS/Fyn race 2011 - AFR2011

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Hawk
As I have also considered getting students involved, I thought of a few "variables" specific to the racing/learning curve, especially in a tricky race with rapid tacking angles in this race:

1) If you are doing this is in a classroom setting, consider having all your competitors go TWA=0 at the end of class. Yes, they won't be able to get a podium spot in the race but they also won't be inclined to "stay up all night to wait for the new Wx and make the perfect rounding". Setting multiple DCs for overnight routing is hard to figure in the early learning phase. You could just start up again the next day and everyone resumes where they were. All have the same weather and you can teach more easily.

2) Certainly use the customized boat list to remove the clutter of competition. Maybe include a few veterans/leaders so the students can get a feel for the strategy. This will have to be tempered with different weather after the initial starting session is over. Hmmmm, maybe get a few veterans to race WITH you (and go TWA=0 when you do). Give it some flavor with a few SOLers not in your timezone. I'm game! You can also figure out your OWN podium from these results.

3) Could use one of the nearly empty chatrooms to prompt discussion. I have used the Mandarin room (at least that's what I call it) to have chat outside the regular, and often busy, English room. SailTalk Chat is probably not busy during actual racing time as well.

I LOVE that you are doing this with kids and have started to see if I can generate any interest for the same here where I live. Would be fun to have a competition between schools!!!

Well Done!
SP
Hawk - yeps until a race is run the status is that of practice, i.e., all commands (including stopping) are manual.

As this race has been open a few days I am now going to archive it until we race it.

Don't forget to let me know what date you want for it!!
@SP - excellent ideas you has come up with!! I might try to find some pupils who would like to have a mentor.

@RC - We start school tomorrow, and we will discuss a startdate - I think we will practice the route for some time, but late september/early october are good possibilities. I am thinking about a "stay in school for a night"-arrangement, so that we can race 100%... lets see. I´ll come back with a date within a week.
Racing against another school may not be exciting. From my memory, I really did not know the kids at another school at all.

So I suggest within a class, make up crews of 3 or 4 to discuss tactics, angles, VMG etc so you may have a few teams competing against each other.

Drawing the names from a hat is a good idea as well.

Google Earth will add in geography and geology, navigation, sunrise & sunset maths, navigation and astromony.

Sleep over, on / off watches; think of sailing ships, alarm drills, gun drills, anchoring, blocks & pulleys to move heavy loads across the playground. At Boy Scouts, there was a game to burn off energy where we ran from side to side, up or down the meeting hall, one hall side was "Man the Guns" where we all ran to upon that command given out. Similarily it will keep all your children busy!!

Sounds like a great idea, well worth it.
Good Luck!!
If it breaks, it's not strong enough!
Paul! More great ideas - I could make 3-4 classrooms into "boats", and scheduals are to be made - captain elected, and if course are to be changed, a crewmember are to be at the computer! A lot of possibilities here. Just bring on more ideas, Gentlemen - and women.
Borrow some older lifejackets, and like musical chairs, one less life jacket than needed to eliminate one person. So a race to get to life jacket but also correctly fitted, straps / ties all done. Different styles of jackets will help add confusion, also having incorrect sizes, buoyancy aids vs proper life jackets confusion. Then swimming wearing a life jacket & all clothing, liferaft in the pool.

Flare demonstration and torch signalling at night, make an angling device, screw / bolt a 180 degree protractor to a 300mm ruler, add string & a weight; measure stars, moon, planets at evening & morning nautical twilight = mathematics, work out your position. Stars are just "lighthouses in the sky", without towers.

Walk along a beach at night, aligning navigation buoys and beacons; measure angles with a hand bearing compass; compare to angles observed using hand rules & hand made angles; compare night-time results with daytime actuals;

Draw a sketch of what they can see at night & compare in daylight. Drawings of stars, constellations; moon's face.

Meals as in old sailing ships, of hard tack, weavels and tassle stew. (Tassle stew = google and enjoy the monthly feast???) Use worm sweets but only brown ones, Butch fricthagel(?) small sugar white balls to be "mould" on bread.

Build funnelators (funnel powered by surgical rubber tubes) and fire water filled ballons at each other or a target, Targets are boring and static. Combine with the running game as suggested earlier, man the lifeboats, hoist the sails etc.

Sleep in hammocks.

Land yachts have less drownings.

Marine Side lights are the same as traffic lights.

Build a flying fox using lashings to make an A frame.

Use a lead line in swimming pool to measure depths = Read "Mark Twain" US novel.

Should be enough to exhaust a lot of children, quickly.

Use Rum essence in drinks. Save the real rum for yourself. You will need it!!

--- Last Edited by NZL_PaulR at 2011-08-08 20:28:26 ---

--- Last Edited by NZL_PaulR at 2011-08-08 20:29:11 ---
Well, your latest proposals are to much for my pupils Paul. I will keep you informed about what we decide to do....

Thank you for your great interest in this idea :-)
I have used a Radio Controlled model in a cradle mounted on a rotating disc e.g. "lazy susan" as is common in Chineese restrauants with an electic fan. I cradle has the ability to heel and now turn.

Learning about wind flow, trimming heeling was easy as I could touch the exact points of the sails on the model as could the students.

Have a "Pirates of the Carribean" movie themed sleep overnight. Show the film first (or parts of it!!)

What age are we talking for your school children??
What age are we talking for your school children??
14 years old.

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 2 - Great Sandy Stait

Get ready for another spectacular day on the water with the second and final race of our thrilling series! This time, the challenge extends to an ambitious 21-nautical-mile course through the scenic Great Sandy Strait of Australia. After a joyful post-race BBQ, our daring sailors will once again take the helm of their Seascape 18s! Expect more high-speed action, strategic sailing, and, of course, another fantastic BBQ to celebrate the end of this exciting series!
Race #1802
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 21:30 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client