Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » My Toolset (work in progress)

There was some discussion the other night regarding me writing some small tools to work with SOL, and some comment that there is already too much 'extra software' for SOL.

So, rather than explain what i do and do not intend to do entirely with words, i though I would just post a screnshot of a few of the tools in action.
Also because I just discovered how to integrate Google maps/earth into the whole kit! ;-)

No, there is nothing but a blank globe at this point, but you can see me on the map, and hey i have only just began working on that feature set...

But I do need to quick list some features:
As can be seen in screenshot:
Displays Nav data and optionally outputs GPS to a virtual com port; calculates best angles (to more precision than seen in SOL client or this screenshot); view polar (and more features planed there to); send commands (enhanced syntax - eg specify tack with twa: 45 port or -45) and issue/edit DCs; and of course, various overlays in GE/Maps right in the app!

Not sure what is going on with DTG and waypoint RNG (I calc Waypoint RNG) but i know the algorithm I using is accurate (supposedly) to the mm! yes thats millimetre.

There are more tools in there (not shown) for constructing smooth curved courses; a 'TWA = 0' alarm; and a few other things planned - currently coding an AIS radar and polar butterfly for currentTWS overlay on the actual SOL client, auto rotated for TWD, and I welcome any suggestions (requests even) as of course once ready enough it shall be available for all.

NOTE: I have no intention of using any wind data other than current wind conditions from SOL or those manually input by user, so its still a SOTP kit! ;-)

It gets all data directly from SOL server, and updates LESS often than official client, so should use less data for the bandwidth challenged and place less load on servers.

Please leave feedback/suggestions/opinions and whatever...
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Attachments
Fabulous Work!
Almost everything what i had thought of, but at least didn't realy start do develope.
I had thought of a Polar Butterfly overlayed on Boatpositon and turned to TWD to vizualize your option in different TWA direct on the Map. But that is what you o´pointed out and i just didn't understand. ;-)
It should be possible to have the 'butterfly' with the correct windspeed, shown with the right orientation to wind direction, over your own boat position at all times---or even just when you operate the steering control.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Thats looking very cool Agage.
Nice layout and format.
I wish I new enough about computers to do that sort of stuff...........maybe next life:)
Status Update:

Been working mostly on Google Maps integration (GE later), and just displaying correct data - make it look nicer once functionality is complete. Trying to implement 'Tracks on mouse over' as in official SOL client.

Looks pretty good to me so far though ;-)

NOTE: Corinthian SOLers, check pic 'FleetFiltered 5Nm.jpg':

Some nice pics from 'Round North Island' practice (reversed order, view bottom up is best)

Edit: Tracks on mouse-over done. Show the course with numbered marks, an arrow start, F for finish and a geodesic between them for the longer courses. Addded much boat info in a pop-up when a 'boat' is clicked: lat/lon cog, sog (estimate), rank, dtg, dbl, and rng/brg from player - see pic 'GM Farmor near L3 fin' for an example (no rng/brg implemented there yet though).

Looking for some nice boat icons to use instead of the default 'paddles' GMaps uses, if anyone has suggestions or even png/gif files (no jpg, they need transparency), same icon with different colours would be good (~32x32px) ;-)

--- Last Edited by Aaron Gage at 2011-02-18 07:51:59 ---

--- Last Edited by Aaron Gage at 2011-02-18 08:02:29 ---
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Getting there with Google Maps interface:
(& another nice green pic from NZL)

Again, if anyone knows of or has some nice boat icons, I am still looking (obv from the pics). 3 for upwind/crosswind/downwind and on each tack would be awesome! ;-)

Edit: I found a decent icon after much searching, but still think there must be something better out there...

--- Last Edited by Aaron Gage at 2011-02-19 14:35:26 ---
Attachments
So I finally got around to implementing a polar butterfly overlay, after chatting with ShamrockPirate in race chat earlier today. Has worked out quite well to, it auto aligns with TWD, and of course draw the curve for current TWS and actually looks like it is draw as part of the SOL client!

I also started a wordpress blog to share my tools, and also discuss any others I find either online tools or downloadable. There is a post about a great weather visualization tool up.

Check it out here, and please leave comments and any suggestions you may have. Pics of the butterfly are over there, no need to cross-post here to.
I really really do need to spend some time reading all this!!! :-)

I just got as far as clicking on the link to Wordpress but.. must have my afternoon nap now.. grrrr.. my "useful hours" each day are so few these days darnit!!

AGage - super work!!
I decided to scrap the virtual COM output as that is just duplicating functionality from brainaid's NMEA proxy... I am hoping to implement a better 'AIS Radar' (although it uses direct SOL data not AIS from brainaid's) than in NavMon however, once I get my SOG estimation right. Its close now, but still doesnt behave well when the SOG is changing significantly. I don't suppose the SOLGods can include a timestamp with the fleet data ;-P

And RC, Wordpress is really easy, you will have no problems whatsoever creating content there... ;-)

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 2 - Great Sandy Stait

Get ready for another spectacular day on the water with the second and final race of our thrilling series! This time, the challenge extends to an ambitious 21-nautical-mile course through the scenic Great Sandy Strait of Australia. After a joyful post-race BBQ, our daring sailors will once again take the helm of their Seascape 18s! Expect more high-speed action, strategic sailing, and, of course, another fantastic BBQ to celebrate the end of this exciting series!
Race #1802
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 21:30 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
May 7 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client