Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Public testing new HTML5 client

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

...And I don't have any idea why triple clicking does what you say. At least for me with FF it just moves the map as expected.

--
i.
A new version of the client has been published. You can simply refresh/reload browser tab.

If this new version doesn't work for you, let us know. You can use the older version by appending
?version=old
to the url, or (for the current two races) by clicking the links below.
Dondra to Sanya 2020
BA-Rio 2020

What has been changed? Here is a list of the most important changes (credit to ij):
- Tack/Gybe button label split to either “Tack” or “Gybe”
- POIs show local wind info
- When WX panel is focused, left and right arrow keys step time backwards and forwards
- Minor tweaking to mouse handling code to prepare for touch interface improvements for ruler and steer tools (should not change anything but may still break something)
- Highlight race leader setting
- Attempt to prevent browser’s autocompletion for text input fields
- Chat input text area style changes (one additional line and scrollbar enabled when necessary)
- Boat scale setting
- Boat list save/restore
- UI changes to enable Touch UI
- WX panel styling improvements (roughly constant width)
- Control panel layout tweaks, ranking tab in particular (to solve iPad UI issues)
- Chat odd/even bg color tweak to hopefully avoid some “bg jumps” when new messages appear
- Fix stale boat filter when a boat list that was in “show only” state is deleted
- TWS contours. There are still some horizontal gap artifacts in contours and when wx area appears more than once, only one of them draws contours currently; in practice, neither limits significantly the usefulness of contours. Contour density is configurable through Settings.
- Quick-access buttons for show TWS/TWD (beside the wind arrow/barb)
- Ranking tab click vs mouseup problem (reported to occur with Edge)

PS: for early access to updates like this, you can append
?version=dev
to the URL. This "dev"-version gets updated more frequently (and without notice). Drawback is that there may be more bugs. At this moment the "dev"-version is not ahead any updates.
Guys, so far it works well. Thank you for your time and patience.

As an improvement, could it be possible when you set a DC, that the predictors (both) starting at DC point are shown on the map?

Regards from Altair
P.
Hi Altair,

"Planning predictors" have been suggested also elsewhere and "aiming from DC dot" has been one potential item on my todo list. They are doable, but the former only on medium term as it will require some predictor code refactoring first (I need to do that anyway at some point but it's also somewhat scary given the importance of not breaking the predictor :-)).

Planning predictors, however, is one of those features that would clearly give the client abilities beyond what has been traditionally available and I'd like to see some kind of discussion whether such features are something that should be included into the client or not.

As regards your earlier request about saving the chat messages locally to preserve longer chat history, I'm unlikely to implement that as I view it as an attack vector.
Hi,
Is there a way to get rid of/reduce the "shadow-effect" ??
In the flash version you just had to click on one of the other boats.

Regards
/SKOVSER
I don't understand what "shadow effect" is?

--
i.
OK - it's like you see 2 boats just after each other. The first boat have the small dot where the mast is supposed to be and the second boat is the "shadow". The first boat is a bit more bold.
When you point the cursor on the second boat, the boat name appear down in the left corner. It disappear shortly and become visible again.
Both on FF and chrome.

/SKOVSER
What you describe is caused by the different update times of the fleet, and your own boat. The fleet (all boats) are updated once a minute, so they make jumps of 1 minute. Your own pink boat is updated more frequently, and will jump ahead before the fleet catches up.

Your boat is also part of the fleet, so an version of your boat is updated together with the rest of the fleet once every minute. It looks like it is sailing behind your pink boat. In the Flash client this boat is made invisible, buy you can make it visible by clicking your own name in the leaderboard-tab.

Personally I always liked to see my shadow, so I could better compare how I was doing relative to the fleet. But it may be confusing to have it always visible, especially to new SOLers.

I think you problem would be solved with the following feature:
Make drawing of own boat in fleet invisible unless own boat is selected in the ranking-tab.
Even better may be to have three options in the settings: {always show, never show, only when selected}, with as default one of the last two.
Thank you Kroppy, for an in-depth explanation.
I don't consider it a problem, just a bit annoying ;-)
Your second feature options sounds great - Thanks!

/SKOVSER

--- Last Edited by SKOVSER at 2020-02-11 11:26:28 ---
Is it possible to have the "Settings" saved until changed? Right now you have to renew all of your preferred screen features every time you log into a new race. This is a bit irritating.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client