Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Races » TIMED RACES - Guidelines

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

africa - as your name change will require the running of a script I will email hmm and Jeroen and ask them to do change you to VANNA. I can only make changes if the SOLer has only raced a few races (its a manual process).

Tempest wrote

Africa basically you're suggestion is exactly the same as it is now only difference is in the present situation the skipper is responsible for departing on time, with you're suggestion the server is responsible. I like to be responsible for my own actions so i choose option one.

unquote

Wrong Temepst no responsibility for anyone as what I propose is just more fair.

Joanne no hury for name change,take your time.
I don't see what is "more fair" in your suggestion as race wil close anyway. There wil always be a time when weather changes suddenly and drastically which can also happen in your prolonged finishing time. What will happen then ? People will start screaming that the race should stay open even longer so they can finish the race.
The only thing your suggestion does is making more or less sure you can finish.(is that fairer?)
However by doing so taking away the fun of starting as late as possible risking you won't make it to the finish. To my opinion that is part of the charm of a timed race.
Secondly there is no room for discusion in the present system closing time is end of race for everybody. With your suggestion i am afraid discussion about keeping races open for an even longer time will start again, putting an extra strain on volunteers who, in the end, make it al happen.
The latest TIMED race is now open and has a published Registration and Race close.

The Registration will close two days before the Race will close, thus permitting folks a chance to decide to make or not make a final run.

Hope this seems an improvement :-)

I have already set personal alarms on my mobile phone to remind me to do both closings!!

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2013-03-16 16:01:21 ---
You guys at SOL do an excellent job. I don't believe that posting and registration close is necessary, but the important thing is to keep participants happy. You definitely succeed at that! Well done all organizers and and keep up with the excellent work!
I like just about everything about SOL. That being said I don't like timed races in the slightest. Especially when they are left open for days, and even more when the announced times change after it begins. People are all racing under entirely different conditions. It isn't even competition. Those racing in the last 12 or more hours are blowing away the times of those before and more recently aren't even sailing to weather during any portion of the race.

If people think that choosing your time to race based on weather is part of the game, then fine. Set a time frame and leave it alone. Do not interrupt it. Do not extend it. It is unfair to everyone who has made plans and wants to race competitively.

Ah well, that is my 2¢ on the subject.
I like just about everything about SOL. That being said I don't like timed races in the slightest. Especially when they are left open for days, and even more when the announced times change after it begins.
I agree with all you say Hiri. I'm afraid I have always seen timed races as a bit of a gimmick but when a "race" is closed early because the conditions don't suit then it is reduced (reduxed) to a farce. There, I've added my 2 cents to yours Hiri and it also highlights the difficulty of RC's task. It is impossible to keep everyone happy. :-)
“We may have arrived on different ships, but we are all in the same boat now!” Martin Luther King Jr.
The first Galway Inport race had run its course simply because the weather was dramatically worse and wrong for the track. Thus as a weekend race it was closed early rather than leaving it open with no comments in chat and no-one racing.

So that folks might enjoy themselves with something other than just pootling around practising in the Solent, an alternative Week race was set up.

Timed races have their fans and their detractors... I am not over-fond of them, personally, but they can be fun as a forum for matchracing.

There will be several timed races this year as NZL Scotsman's intends all of his Lighthouse series to be such!

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2013-05-03 20:14:17 ---
I appreciate what you are saying RC, and I appreciate what you did with this most recent timed race. But it just shows that timed races when played out really are not competitive. And when you mess with the time periods after they have been announced then you change the race for those who have planned their strategy. The weather in the second phase of the race changed drastically too, and it became a reaching race thus dropping all the top finishers from when it was as intended 50 or more places. I guess I just find that hard to enjoy. I will stick with the regular races.

RC, thanks for your efforts planning our racing agendas and thanks for your reply to my post.
TIMED races are a good break with the monotony. SOL has about 10% of its races as TIMED ones, and that's a good proportion.
The recent balloon Transat was also interesting. I hope we'll have more, but at an even less frequent basis as the TIMED races.
You SOL guys rock!

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Klaipeda to Helsinki

Welcome to the first of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are being organized in-real-life by Sail Training InternationalThis first race is from Klaipeda, Lithuania to Helsinki, Finland; circa 240nm in Sailonline’s stately fanciful Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1811
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
July 6 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 27th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Haida Gwaii 2024

We will end the second quarter of the ARCH competition with a 390nm race around the Haida Gwaii islands (literally "Islands of the Haida people"), also known as the Queen Charlotte Islands. This is an archipelago located on the northern Pacific coast of Canada. In SOL, we last raced on this route in 2012 and few people remember what happened there. Prepare your Riptide 50 well, it's going to be a lot of fun.
Race #1819
INFO from brainaid.de
Riptide 50 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
July 3 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 24th 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Newport Bermuda Race 2024

The 636-mile biennial Newport Bermuda Race is one of the oldest regularly scheduled ocean races, and with the Fastnet Race and the Sydney to Hobart Race, it is one of the three great classic races of the yachting world. Founded in 1906, this 53rd running of the Bermuda Race can again also be participated in online.
Entries are invited for one of the four divisions:
Double-Handed Division:
Jeanneau Sun Fast 3600
St. David's Lighthouse Division:
Santa Cruz 52
Gibbs Hill Lighthouse Division:
Judel Vrolijk 62
Finisterre Division:
Riptide 50
Details for each yacht are available in the ‘Particulars’ links below. As in real life, you can only sail one boat in one division, so choose your virtual yacht carefully, and because of the unusual (for SOL) 4-division nature of the event, please note results will not count towards any Sailonline rankings.
Race #1808
INFOby brainaid.de
Sun Fast 3600 PARTICULARS
Santa Cruz 52 PARTICULARS
Judel Vrolijk 62 PARTICULARS
Riptide 50 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: None
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 21st 17:05 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Auckland to San Francisco 2024

Welcome back to Auckland as we continue our Round The World voyage. This 5600 nautical miles race from Auckland to San Francisco, first sailed in 2023, is the third leg of the RTW, proposed by SOLer ita10267. It is also the June edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the Swan 65, as in all RTW races this year.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1790
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - OCCH - RTW - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
July 9 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 03rd 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Siaki
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client