Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Races

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

I am specially concerned with races in the Ocean Race Championship. There is no race planned until October 30th from what I can see (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The Turkey race is not Ocean, as it is closely bound to shore.

Could we have the old schedule Incognito tried to implement back? - This was something like have an ocean race, then a week break, then the next Ocean race.

Just my $0.02 :)
_/)_/)_/)
The sea is lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to sail before I sleep, And miles to sail before I sleep.
Eddie - that is something that had occurred to me too. Having just completed a sort-of Transpac... and with five oceans to cross later in the year, maybe we need a good old TransAt?

What would be your preference please? At this time of year, is it better to be sailing W to E or vice versa? and, of course.. which boat-type shall we have?

As soon as you let me know we can get something set up :-)
In addition to the revised August calendar (posted in the Race Calender forum) there will also be a race appearing on the SOL Homepage very shortly - it will start on Wednesday and be an ocean race!!

:-)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2010-07-29 17:03:09 ---
As suitable a location as any to remind everyone that Race Planning has been handled pretty much by userbase since Jan or so. A small but very dedicated group of SOLers put together a set of tools and protocols etc, as well as discussion forum specifically for race planning issues - accessible at Yahoo groups: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sailonline_rc/?yguid=115308577

We know that it's an outside forum, different login etc, but it was/is intended as an interactive tool where anyone can contribute. Discussions here on the sol internal boards tend to take the form of "I think we should do this", rather than pitching in to help. The only person who has posted in the last month or so is RC!

RC has been posting proposed calendars here as well so that non-SRC (Sol Race Committee) can view and comment more easily, but not many specific suggestions have been offered in exchange.

The way it's going now, and to some degree how it went when Inco was handling race-entry for US is that people post positive or negative criticism, but still leave the *decision* making to the SRC, which seems to be Rainbowchaser and a handful of loyal helpers.

This is too big of a burden.

Race planning is not an easy job. Design of a course that *works* in SOL (let alone promotes good racing) is tricky. Trying to fit races tightly into a schedule with advance planning and small gaps requires an estimate for race length that changes with weather and boat. Even just dropping old races into the calendar leaves all sorts of room for conflict.

Pre-SRC, new races would appear as old ones closed, to fill gaps between the "planned races". This was more flexible, and seemed to work well from a consumer standpoint, but we almost scuttled Jakob.

The "2-active races" model that used for a while provided a rigid framework to keep a sprint/4day race going with a "long" race (usually Ocean) always parallel. This was tough to keep full (and doing so fell to Inco alone as often as not) and seemed to be a bit too frenetic to a large number of users. We tried to restructure the rankings so that people didn't feel that they HAD to race every race, but that wasn't enough.

-------

RC has just gotten going, and has learned the ins and outs of SOL (server side) very quickly. We've kept her busy with some *very* involved race-planning and troubleshooting. I have no doubt that as things settle down she'll continue to be a great SOL-Goddess.

Give her feedback she can use!

We've had a couple races which maybe haven't been great from an entertainment/tactical standpoint. There are a few that are great fun but leave half the fleet beached. Those of you who know what makes a good race step up!
RC just made a snap change to the schedule based on what has been posted here. Everyone needs to recognize that we left it completely to her to figure out *how* to solve the problem. According to pattern, her choice will now be second-guessed after-the-fact. The Transat should be fast race, and fits the bill, but we could have given her some more support:

EXAMPLE

We've had a request to try to include some more "Ocean" racing to balance out the schedule. These races can be run concurrently with the short races. The long nearshore races really replace the sprints due to intense navigational demands.

Suggestions:

Rerun VOR-Leg4 with any of the fast boats. Weather at this time of year is interesting and it should work out to about a little over a week. The Chinese coast typically shouldn't come into play, but it's possible.

New race Maui-Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy: Google-earth kmz attached. Could be a complex race if the gribs do their part. I suggest using the Supermaxi. In a fast boat 8-10 days.

-------

There really aren't that many 1-2 week courses in the database, so if anyone wants to suggest a few to keep in reserve (with workups please!) that would be great. Things to keep in mind are seasonal wind patterns, doldrums (can be fun though) etc... Long reaches tend to be less interesting than into the weather or downwind. Now that SOL has full global coverage it opens up a couple of routes in the Southern Ocean that might be fun, and we've got the Arctic to play with as well.

--- Last Edited by 76Trombones at 2010-07-29 21:24:10 ---
Could a race from say Maui to somewhere in northern Scandinavia via the Bering Strait and Arctic Ocean be possible?
Hello all the good sailors!

Over the next few days I will start the planning on a few Ocean races in and around the Southern Hemisphere. Here is a sneak preview of my thoughts;

A Cape Town to Rio race based on the first Cape to Rio race that happened when I was in school in the cape in 1972. This one is against the southerlies!!!

A politically incorrect race based on the run of the slave traders from the Ivory Coast/Ghana area to either the UK or New York...sorry my brothers!!!

A race from either Durban or Cape Town to Southampton in the UK based on the route the HMS mailships used to take not so terribly long ago.

All these races should be tough and should all be about a month long. A real feast for the routing sailors.
Jawz Jawz, great!

I'd love to sail Cape Town - Rio, this is full of options... South (more wind, but against), North (trade winds, but long way), or Middle (shorter track, danger of calms, very tricky, but fun).

Yes, go ahead, please :)

[This is posted by brainaid, sorry was logged in as Sol]

--- Last Edited by sol at 2010-07-30 07:54:29 ---
Sounds like a good plan Jawz. As long as you can get that woman to put you down for long enough so you can do it!!! :-)
Exmer - I am sure that would be possible! Let your imagination fly with these new ocean races!!

Everyone, please bear in mind that we have a series of five such races coming up (starting in November)in SOL Earths Oceans Kiwi Double so your race, if designed now, may not be sailed for a while....

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client