Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Races

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Why are there now extended breaks between races? It used to be that there were overlapping races. There is now long periods between races. Practice does not cut it.
Finished Chic Mackinac, even missed the start by 4 hours. Done the practice for Refeno. & I have to wait for another 3 days before something new happens (the start for Refeno)....
Keep the pace up guys.
Hi there!

There are two reasons for this. First there is an administrative overhead for each race, and SOL is run by a team of volunteers (brainaid is working on lowering this overhead we are deeply greateful for).

The other reason is that some people loose interest if there is a constant bombardment of races so we need to keep it a little balanced :)

Please let me know any suggestions you have on your mind!
IMO 6 days without a ongoing race is really very far from the "bombardment of races", i personally think there should be a midweek race as well as a weekend race, besides a occasional long (ocean-) race.
Hi All,

We have many members here on SOL, all with different preferences, follow is mine as a data point only.

1- I loose interest when there is no races going on. I can always skip a race if I am busy but when I am free I would like to know there is a race about to start.

2- I like the mix of short races and long races. One sure thing to loose interest is to schedule only long or only short races.

3- Drag races do not count as a race. They are boring. Going from point A to point B in a straight line in a little more than 24 hours is a drag race. Let's leave that for car enthusiastics.

I agree 100% with the original post. These long gaps in racing is annoying.

Inpromptu practice races does not make sense. The whole point of SOL is to practice and learn. The ONLY way to learn is in real races. Schedule more races and you have your "practice".

Lately I feel we have 2 SOL's going on. The real one and this annoying practice crap.

Sorry guys/gals, I am in a real bad mood today and this talk of "practice race" only makes my mood worse.

Antonio (zero)

--- Last Edited by zero at 2010-07-28 15:51:17 ---
I must say I have to agree. We havn't had a mid week race for a while now. and there isn't any planned for August.RC if your worried about server space.
Do you not think that the races are staying open to long. The Chi-Mac started on Saturday and is still hasn't closed yet. If sailors had started on time they would definatly be finished by now.If they want to start 2 days late they must understand that they might not get to finish.
Your still doing a fine job RC, keep it up.;-)

--- Last Edited by victory at 2010-07-28 17:21:28 ---
All good & valid points.

Sometimes my work prevents me from starting or being able to be highly competitive. But I still enjoy the platform. I agree with Victory that perhaps some of the races are being held open too long.

Kalle- I understand the overhead issue. Perhaps you can introduce some "members only racing". And I think you have gone from 1 extreme to the next with the amount of races. I agree there were too many races now there are too little. Like you say a balancing act. A weekend race, mid week race and the occasional long distance race could be a nice balance.

I hope that these points are helpful. As I said I enjoy the platform and look forward to more good racing in the future.

Bear.
Hi All

I am very glad to see these comments in print. Having set up what I thought was an appropriate mix of races to satisfy the "we have too many races" lobby it would appear that I have overdone it and there is now not enough racing.

I am sorry that this is irritating but as you can imagine, trying to strike the right balance takes experience and I am acquiring that!

Future race calendars (in draft) are posted in the new Race Calendar forum - at the moment showing races up to two months ahead. Feedback, comments and suggestions on these calendars is very welcome but sorely lacking.

Please try and help me with constructive comments - go to the Race Calendar Forum, look at what is proposed for the next few weeks and submit your suggestions for improvement.

You say there are no week races coming up - what, then would you say is the Round Britain race? or the Rund Ballerman? Do they not fit your criteria? If not, please say what race, based on past races, would be a better candidate?

As for holding races open too long.. there is an entirely separate thread on race closure methodology started by WINSTON.. please would you go and read it
here and add your suggestions.

Thanks guys!

P.S. I have just had a look and it would seem that while some of the future races (Aug and Sept) run through a week and not much longer, none of them actually start during the week. Is this what you are wanting? Races to start during the week that also may only be one/two days duration?

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2010-07-29 17:39:52 ---
Yes RC. I think what poeple are saying is that there arnt any races starting midweek. like this week there is a 6 day gap between races. May I suggest on having shortish races start Saturday and Wednesday, even if we strike light wind they should still be finished before the other starts. And can be run at the same time as the longer races.I see that you have got 2 weeks set aside for the Rund Ballerman and it is only 380nm (or is that a mistake?)How about doing a poll and seeing if thats what others would like.I dont think that there is really a need to open new races to early. maybe 48 hours or so would be ample. Another 2 cents worth ;-)

Just looking at the week ahead we have Refeno rally starting Friday evening UTC and with the forcasted winds should be over in 20 - 25 hours maybe sooner.then nothing short till friday again.

--- Last Edited by victory at 2010-07-29 12:36:57 ---
victory - thank you for such a speedy reply... I shall look at the August calendar now and see what can be revamped to accommodate.

Having this sort of open debate in the Forum is excellent :-)
OKies.. a couple of changes to what had been proposed for the August calendar have now been made... please let me know if they are to your liking.

The revision is findable here: August Revision

If, as may happen, the REFENO ends really quickly, we will definitely find something to start next Tuesday too.

:-)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2010-07-29 13:04:54 ---

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client