Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Game Feature Suggestions

Page: First Previous 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

As I see it VMG is 'Velocity Made Good' directly to windward; whereas, VMC is also a velocity made good, but to where? If it is to the destination, then it assumes that one is taking a direct great-circle path to the nearest point about which one has to turn. As well most sailors know, that isn't necessarily optimal.

In my youth I raced a Tornado and often found I could beat the competition, to a downwind mark, by tacking downwind - the boat was so fast on a broad reach that it got to a downwind mark much more quickly NOT heading straight for the mark.
=======================================
Well, VMC = Velocity Made to Course recognising that course legs arent always directly up or down wind. IRL we all use this concept downwind when there is a local shift just prior: Sail the gybe that takes us closest to the mark. Or either upwind or downwind to tack on the headers (lifts downwind): coz VMC is decreased and increased on other tack/gybe.
So VMC is the component of your current velocity (being a vector with magnitude and direction) in the direction of you next most immediate waypoint/mark on your course, VMG is with respect to the wind direction. So, no it doesnt assume one is on a direct course, great circle or otherwise, to the next waypoint, but rather uses that direct course instead of the wind direction.

In a windward/leeward course set exactly to the wind VMC = VMG. If a shift has occured and you are on the favoured tack/gybe then VMC > VMG, converely on the unfavoured tack/gybe VMC < VMG.
If you can, say, reach directly to the next waypoint/mark then VMC = BS. And in the case where that firection is 90 degrees to the wind, VMG = 0.

Say the TWD is 0, but the heading to the mark is at 15. You're heading at 40degrees doing 10kn. Then VMG = cos(40-0) * 10 = 7.66kn, and VMC = cos(40-15) * 10 = 9.06kn.
Now say we footed off 5 degrees and our BS increased to 10.6kn. our VMG is now cos(45-0) * 10.6 = 7.49kn, our VMC is cos(45-15) * 10.6 = 9.18kn. So our VMG has decreased, but VMC has increased by footing off for more speed.
And to illustrate what you said about sailing directly to the next mark not always being optimal, imagine the heading to next mark IS 40 degrees above.
Sailing directly toward it, VMC = BS = 10kn (cos(0)=1). By footing to 45@10.6kn our VMC is cos(45-40) * 10.6 = 10.55kn, so we will get there faster heading 45, even though over a 30nm leg we will sail an extra 1nm approximately (the cosine(angle) function automatically accounts for extra distance, but assumes no manouvering penalty). So given performance penalaties for for tacks/gybes, the longer the leg the more the benefit will be, and if the leg is short enough you WILL still get there quicker going straight for it.
This is my understanding of the term VMC, again maybe I am missing something, then pls inform me of it.

Of course, on really long legs a straight line on the mercator map will not be the shortest distance no, but you can still calculate a fastest heading, convert it to a great circle heading, and slowly follow the circle.
And of course you can always pick an arbitrary point to calculate VMC to, like if you need to round a headland before you get to a waypoint, then use that instead. C can stand for any chosen course, but we usually like to sail the course set by the RC, so it is usually that which we choose to use (or deviations due to obstructions).

Yes, High performance dingies, some cats, and performance yachts will now always reach the leeward mark faster by tacking downwind. That is simply the concept of VMG put to practical use downwind (if vmg > at an angle off 180) And that is such a good thing! I hated the 'processional runs' in the Junior classes I sailed. Downwind is now the leg generally least understood, which can provide good opportunities for gains, but equally for losses.
I dont think I have yet seen a boat on SOL that doesnt benefit from tacking downwind...
IRL main trouble is determining the best angle downwind... We have developed excellent methods to do this upwind, but not down... Its easy when you have a nice polar and that is the only thing that contributes to performance... Add in to that handling, trim, wave surfing etc etc and its quickly gets very complicated. Not to mention some boats like the ones I sail, benefit more if you dont sail ANY straight line, but a snake course, up first to increase the apparent windspeed and swing it more toward the beam (even the bow), then head down to decrease distance sailed... Headache time! :-)
High performance skiffs (18s, 49er etc) effectively never sail downwind, as the apparent wind is always coming from the bow, and this impacts handling and trim enormously...

Gettin too far off topic here, maybe we should start a 'Sailing Terms' Thread?
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Excellent explanation, think no new thread needed.

Ernestas
ernissss
LT
Please guys do something about the zooming issue. Not being a routing sailor I rely on accuracy and shortness of course to keep my efficiency high. With this new system I cannot get this right at all. In my humble opinion this feature has taken us a step backwards and not improved the game engine at all. Lets take a step backwards and rebuild please!

Thanks
George
Hi. What zooming issue?
...one of the guys behind the game...
Jakob, there is an issue with the steering tool line, where it changes the length of the line shown on screen, depending on the zoom level. Some have commented that at maximum zoom it disapperas completely, but I have not personally seen this particular issue, only that it gets shorter with more zoom...
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Can I get some screenshots of that please. I cannot reproduce... jakob@sailport.se
Can I get some screenshots of that please. I cannot reproduce... jakob@sailport.se
Note where the cursor is and where the line ends.

Schakel
Attachments
Ahh, now I understand. Thanks!!
Hi - Thanks for all the hard work.
I was wondering if it would be possible to overlay 'real terrain', something like Raymarine does on the chart plotter. Or incorporate Google maps. Just a thought.
Dan. aka LiquidMotion

Page: First Previous 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client