Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Game Feature Suggestions

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last

I'm a many Players virtual skipper and that's the second race I do on sailonline. I have some suggestions :
the game is really well made. especially the maps are amazingly precise and the winds too. The constant evolution of the winds is more realistic.
Interface is not easy at the beginning (especially for someone who doesn't speak english) but, after reading the PDF, everything becomes easier and I consider the interface very good.
What lacks the game?
Better colors. The colors are really, really horrible. And colors are never the same (why?). The sea should be blue and the continents not that horrible green. It's much more than a minor detail.
What makes the success of MP : simple, beautiful and convivial.
The public chat is good but you should have a private chat, like MP.
Sometimes you have some graphical bugs : horizontal lines appear on the map, especialy when zooming.
Choice of the sails would add some difficulty, and some pleasure.
You made the choice of putting every ship on the map. Sometimes it's to much. A system of favourites could be a good idea. You could display no boat, your favourites, all the boats.
And last thing : is the wheather the real actual wheather? A good idea, to avoid people of using routing softwares, would to have a different meteo of actual meteo. Real, but from last year, for example.
I feel a great potential in your game and I think it could be the better with some minor improvements.
Thank you. We listen and will try to improve :-)
...one of the guys behind the game...
More Keyboard Control
I think the keyboard control of the forecast slider is great and have started using it more. But I have noticed that it requires clicking on before you can control it with the keyboard if you have used one of the 3 nav tools (since using the keys), and I think this should not be required, ie that no matter what the mouse is doing or has done, the keys always move the slider (as I coder I can't even think of why the mouse would effect things unless it was coded to only activate the keys when slider was clicked or something?).

Also I have noted, that when using the keyboard control, if I position the mouse over a certain point on the map (cos I want to see the changes that will occur with time @that point), with each change of time, you need to move the mouse to trigger some mouse event (other than click) for the data for that point (eg tws@twd) to update. It would be great if the data, at the top right would refresh with the changing forecast slider automatically.
It would be very useful (I think) to be able to park the crosshair at over point of interest on the map, then use the keyboard to increment ahead in time and see exactly the changes in conditions at that point without having to touch the mouse to refresh the display.

As a side note, maybe more keyboard command 'shortcuts' could be useful, for example:

* Keys to activate the nav controls, say ctrl-R for the ruler, ctrl-S for the steer tool and ctrl-C for the 'centre on my boat' tool. And the arrow keys would then control the ruler or steering when chosen (Enter sending a steering change command & the equivelent of clicking with the ruler tool)
*Maybe keys for the zoom level, + for in * - for out?
*Some way to move the Map, perhaps Ctrl-{arrox}.
*And arrow key control of the Map or Steer/Ruler tools could be grained dependent upon the zoom level.

Maybe I'm an old school geek who is used to command prompts and scripts, but I think this could be a valuable edition. (Most GUI software still provides a 'mouseless' way to use its features?)

And possibly the keyboard could provide more accurate control, especially at the higher zoom levels?

--- Last Edited by Aaron Gage at 2009-05-25 14:24:36 ---
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
I'm with Aaron on the weather slider control. It really is a bother to have to reclick on the weather slider after using the dividers or checking delays.
Thank you Aaron for you constructive ideas, we will have a good look at them and see what we can implement.

--- Last Edited by Jeroen Tiel at 2009-06-10 09:06:36 ---
I am a ex-admin of SOL who joins in from time to time.
It would be great to have an downloadable client without the need of an browser. And of course am I missing the windows mobile client :-)
Conyo here, steering for shearwater in the first part of the Transat while he is on vacation. Any chance of making the race viewer have a name at the top? Otherwise I am searching for who is who when 2 screens are open, or going back to the main page to find out what name I am logged in under. Don't want him beating me up because I have done something crazy with his boat intead of my own... thanks.
Sure, it is on my to-do list.
Done :-)
Brilliant!

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client