Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Support » qtVlm thread

Page: First Previous 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next Last

Viva all.

Since some time I have this issue concerning the use of barriers.

The qT I'm using is the version 5.4-3 Nov 1.2016.

Now the issue (pls see also the attached PDF file).

1 - I've open a Grib file for the West Atlantic.

2 - Created a new barrier in the China Sea.

3 - When I zoom to all the Grib's grid space I get two horizontal lines that come from the China Sea created barrier!?

4 - If I want to make a routing N-S in the Atlantic intersecting the Latitudes of those two horizontal lines, I just can't,

5 - unless I clean that barrier.

I would like to know if:

A - This is a problem?
B - The rest of the qT users have the same issue (assuming it is one)?

Thank you.
Sail Fair.
Attachments
Can you send me your poiReal.dat please (I guess this is already corrected but just to check)

--- Dernière modification par maitai le 2016-11-30 07:58:14 ---
Viva Philippe,

Good morning.

I’ll send you the requested file (“poiReal.dat”) but mind you that, meanwhile, I had to remove the Sea China barrier so I could perform the Atlantic routings. Otherwise it was impossible to do it, unless changing the routing option for “Avoid barriers”, which is not an option if we really need “barriers” to be active.

Even now, that I’m making a routing for the X2X race, the polylines from other barriers are generating outside the actual Grib Grid horizontal barrier lines on other areas of the globe.

Thank you & BH
João
Sail Fair.
Thanks for the report João
That's fixed and will be in the next release, due very soon, probably today.
5.4.4-beta1 out on VW (http://www.virtual-winds.org/forum/index.php?/topic/7575-qtvlm/&do=findComment&comment=271697).

Please take your chance to complain/report/suggest before official release ;)
Hey Phillippe
When I draw a heading, the numbers are so small that I can't read them.
Is there a way to enlarge them?
Confusion when increasing TWS Wind Grib.

Viva Philippe.

Good afternoon.

In the qT tab “Advanced settings” tab included in the “Routing settings” menu, there is an option to increase the Wind speed by a percentage that you specify - pls see also attached PDF file.

Made a first test routing with no increase (100%) in the Wind speed and got the first route (blue path).
After, I’ve made a second test routing the Wind speed increased by 15% (115%) and got a second and different route from the first one (purple path).

But what puzzled me was the info I’ve got from qT before the second routing became the second route:

“This routing has been calculated with an assumption modifying grib data”, (so far so good).

The problem came after when, in the same info window had this:

“The route will not take this scenario into account.
Are you sure you want to convert to route?”!?

Well, the two routings were made from the same start and finish marks, starting exactly at the same time. The only different was a15% increase in the TWS for the second routing.
Anyhow, I’ve got two different routes.

The question.

If, as said in the info window that: “The route will not take this scenario into account.”, how and why do we obtain two different routes?

Does it really takes, or not, the effect on the routing and corresponding route the TWS increase?

Thank you and
a BH.

João/psail
Sail Fair.
Attachments
The what-if mechanism only applies to routings, not routes. So once converted in a route you loose them.

You get 2 differents routes because although the route ignore this setting the routing founds other points, of course. So the 2 routes are different, but they are using the same wind.

There is another way to achieve what you want:

In configuration->grib, you can specify a global correction on wind (TWS). Run a routing with this modification, convert it in a route etc, and then FREEZE the route. Then you can reset this setting (or change it) and do a routing->route again, and compare the routes.

Viva Philippe.

Haha, thank you for this good tip (“TWS correction”).

This was precisely what I needed.

BH

João/psail
Sail Fair.
I've directly downloaded some grib2 files from the NOMADS server which include pressure. One uses PRES variable and the other uses PRMSL. Only the PRES one will render the pressure information. I'd prefer to use the PRMSL version if we can get it to work. I've attached the PRMSL grib file for testing.
Attachments

Page: First Previous 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next Last

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Mariehamn to Szczecin

Welcome to the third of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life by Sail Training International . This third race is from Mariehamn, Finland to Szczecin, Poland; circa 250nm in Sailonline’s stately fanciful Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1813
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: TS - SYC
Race starts: Jul 24th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Kalamata to Alanya 2024

For the beginning of the ARCH competition's third quarter, we will sail our boat, SOTO 40, from Kalamata, Greece over the Aegean Sea always eastward to the race finish, 520nm away, in Alanya, Turkey.
Race #1824
INFO from brainaid.de
SOTO 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ3 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
July 31 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
July 31 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Kipper1258
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client