Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Support » Poor responses from the server?

Hi guys!!

Anyone else having a problem getting a response from the server. My access is poor and it only happens when in the SOL site. Getting into the home page is OK but thereafter the responses are slow if at all. Add to this the fact that when I do get in I have to upload my commands a number of times before the server responds with the action.

This is the error I get when trying to get into the race page.

"Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data"

Regards
George
Hi George,

I have no problems at my end atm, and had a good look at the server logs, nothing strange there either. I will keep a close watch on perf and response times.

Did you have this with a specific race or more then one?

Jeroen
I am a ex-admin of SOL who joins in from time to time.
Hi Jeroen!!

I only noticed it during leg 2. I'm off to Harare in Zimbabwe on Sunday and will be able to check the response from the service provider from there as a cross check. If it is good then when I get back I will purchase a second data modem and sim card from the opposition. Brother, boat Henrys, down in the Cape says that Vodacom data service in Velddrif is better than MTN. So we shall see.

To be honest. Only when I get back from Zimbabwe will I be able to sail short and fast races and it is then that I will require my uploads to be 100% responsive, one of the secrets to my short race good results is "pinching" plus a few other full time adjustments tricks!!!

Lastly. Jeroen, Im going to see if I can download a different web browser when in Zim to see if it is Google Chrome giving me the problems.

Thanks for the response.

George
Have things improved for you Jawz?

I would doubt it is Chrome slowing things down, indeed I prefer Chrome especially for SOLing precisely because it is faster (and automatically updates Flash for you)

I also used a 3G modem for many months and usually had no problems speed-wise, but certainly there were times when it would switch away from a 3G network to HSDPA or HSUPA. The former still provides fast downloads, but the later can be a bit slower.
HSDPA = High Speed Download Packet Access
HSUPA = High Speed Upload Packet Access

I could see in my modem software which type of network it was currently connected to. Another situation that can slow things down is if it is 'jumping' between network types quite frequently.

Also it is possible you have a dodgy SIM card. Your provider should replace it free of charge - or possibly the modem is faulty, which they should also replace for free if indeed this is that is the case.

Was (is?) it only SOL you notice speed drops with, or other websites to (like the VOR live stream and the like, not Google)

Also, if you could be more specific about what you mean by 'response from the server' it would be helpful. Did the client or wx take longer to download? Commands you sent take longer to turn up in the client? DC list refreshes? etc
Perhaps uneven time intervals between boat updates - some taking the usual 15 seconds while others may take longer?
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Hi Aaron!!

Sorry for the late post, I am up in Harare, Zimbabwe and work got in the way! To answer your queries now would be too soon because I want to check things out when I'm back home in SA.

What I can say is that I have loaded Firefox and all my symptoms appear to have gone. This will be proven when Leg 3 of the World race starts on Saturday and I will check to see if I'm ok from my temporary office during weekdays because weekends are dodgy with poor network coverage at "home". What I was experiencing, only on SOL,and it appears only with Chrome, was
1) a difficulty in getting into the various pages from the home page
2) a difficulty in loading the race page. Sometimes I get the map, then not. Sometimes I get no weather. Sometimes no boat info
3) when eventually I manage to load the race page then my commands had to be entered a few times before being accepted by the sol server.
4) comments on race page chat would not be uploaded

As I said, I will do a comparison between browsers when I get home so we will take up the challenge again in two months time!

Thanks

George

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 2 - Great Sandy Stait

Get ready for another spectacular day on the water with the second and final race of our thrilling series! This time, the challenge extends to an ambitious 21-nautical-mile course through the scenic Great Sandy Strait of Australia. After a joyful post-race BBQ, our daring sailors will once again take the helm of their Seascape 18s! Expect more high-speed action, strategic sailing, and, of course, another fantastic BBQ to celebrate the end of this exciting series!
Race #1802
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
May 8 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 04th 21:30 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
May 7 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client