Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Practice Racing » GREAT LAKES SPRINT - Practice Racing

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Here is my pic of africa's rounding of Mark3 which was used twice. The first time around missed, the second time was good.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Attachments
High mag
Attachments
The discussion about mark rounding in practice racing, my thoughts:

First of all, practice racing is fun and gives us a chance to get to know the boat.

Second: SOL is NOT designed for short courses with tight markroundings, due to server update times.

Third: I assume that any practice racing SOL-er will try to round the mark in a "sea-man-like" way.

With this three points in mind I don't care if any boat missed a mark where I know this boat tried to go round, otherwise it makes no sense to start at all, or start and just sail directly to finish.

What I do is wait till my boat jumped far enough, I am not timing/counting seconds to make the gamble of rounding.

You may check my course (I used boat Infusion)
If you're still in control, you're not going fast enough.
Is the "Good Old College Try" all that is needed to win?
If a sailor is in any doubt as to whether a Mark was rounded, there are two options:-
1. Go back and round properly.
2. Wait until the course line has fully developed, go into 'boat list', click on the Mark Boat to make it clearly visible, then examine your boat's track under highest magnification. If you did not round correctly, go back or take a DNF.
To examine the track of some other boat, click on that boat in the boats list, go to highest mag, and place cursor on the Mark Boat to clarify its image. Both the boat's track and the Mark should be clearly visible.
A boat MUST COMPLETE the Course.
Or what is the point of doing it at all?

--- Last Edited by Rod at 2011-03-17 20:26:56 ---
Ok, RainbowChaser and Newsartist are doing their utmost best to provide us with some nice races while not racing. Like a real racecommittee they plan races, put marks and update us about startingtimes and whatever more needed for racing.

If we want to take this practice racing THIS serious, I suggest we all buy a subscription for VSK or SailSimulator, where this kind of things are being punished by the game itsself.

I will keep on sailing here on SOL, as well as on VSK, two totally different games. Strategic vs tactical. And please mind the word "games" :-)

And no, "the old college try" is not enough, but fairness is.
I will quote Paul Elvström: "If in winning the
race you have lost the respect of your
competitors, you have not won the race."

Arthur

--- Last Edited by Arthur at 2011-03-18 18:57:04 ---

--- Last Edited by Arthur at 2011-03-18 19:00:38 ---
If you're still in control, you're not going fast enough.
I totally agree with Arthur!

These races are called practise-races and announced as fun.
As they are for practise, i'll try to do tight roundings... wide roundings are not exactly what i need to practise!
Of course, because i need this practis, there will be errors and as i'm not a complete beginner, they will be tight, hence only small advantage.
Because the Mentioned Elvstrøm citation, i post my fault and offer to take a penalty which i consider fair. i'm taking any other penalty, though, whenever the crowd comes up with a different one.
And for the same reason i exspect the same from any other sailor.

Under most circumstances, i consider going one hop in your opposit direction as fair, as it costs you by far more, than gaining was possible.

In allmost every case i will decline going back all the way to the mark, as i will lose that much, to make it allmost impossible to compare my sailing with others, to see how i perform. And practising without a comparism for your doing is almost senseless.

And at last: grab yourself a beer, relax and stop this nitpicking complains aboutothers, doing wrong penaltys... practise racing is for fun, winning is the minor matter. :-)
ROD,in the race I was suspicious of that rounding,so I did immediately a small triangle as penalty,which produced 70 pcnt longer route in that sequence + more loss of performance of such doing,as actually my perf after that rounding was down to 80.6 pcnt.
Moreover in second rounding and final course I did one more gybe in wrong direction and immediately back.Perf. down to 85 pcnt.

So if you still think it is not enough penalty than I accept for that race DNF

Damir(africa)
I too have missed rounding buoys in radio racing, usually due to eyesight depth perception at distances of 100-200 feet. Sometimes I have been able to see that I had done so. Sometimes due to the buoy being obscured by intervening boat sails, I could not see, but was informed by other sailors in the race. When this happens, you either return and round correctly or announce your withdrawal. There is no penalty.
Sometimes while rounding, the hull brushes or the end of the mainsail boom hits the buoy. Even when no one else notices, both events require a 360 deg turn penalty to be completed before the next rounding.
I realize that returning to round correctly, or taking a 360, almost always makes certain that you cannot win or even finish well, that is just the way the sailboat racing game is played according to the RRS. The only penalty for missing a buoy and STILL finishing, is a DSQ.
As in any other game, whether practice or not, if you do not play the game according to the rules, then you are not racing, you are just sailing around at leisure.
I did not intend this whole incident as being directed at you personally. You, yourself, announced some uncertainty about your own rounding. I merely checked, and confirmed that you had not rounded (before the race had ended). I seem to have drawn down upon my own head accusations of nit-picking and worse, when all I expected was a disappointed 'thanx'.
If I fail to round a buoy correctly, I expect you (and anyone else) to call it to my attention.
oh ROD,
don't give me the lessons on regatta sailing as am doing that in real life for over 50 years.

By the way in that race in question I had enough advantage to be able to make 270(or 360 if you wish) and still be first.I could have rounded the mark instead of making that triangle and would still be first.

We have the practice in this practice races if someone misses the mark for little to make the penalty(270 deg,or stop and go).

Therefore these are our rules.

Happy sailing ROD

Damir

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 2 - Great Sandy Stait

Get ready for another spectacular day on the water with the second and final race of our thrilling series! This time, the challenge extends to an ambitious 21-nautical-mile course through the scenic Great Sandy Strait of Australia. After a joyful post-race BBQ, our daring sailors will once again take the helm of their Seascape 18s! Expect more high-speed action, strategic sailing, and, of course, another fantastic BBQ to celebrate the end of this exciting series!
Race #1802
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 21:30 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
May 7 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client