Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » BWR Route Helper Tool

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Agage:

I started with an excuse of my bad english. I did NOT mean that anyone hacking in to other boats account. It might looked that I meant that, but NO. :)

Just the fact that you put in other boats in the software and then see the optimal route for those. Sure, I also allways have an eye on my competitors, ofcourse! That must be done here and IRL. But with those routing system, you can exclude and include boats almost exact. Still I DO NOT says it cheating, but I just don´t like it.

One thing that I have thought of is, why don´t put in some parameters that makes the weather show some difference compared to wx...? Then we have more likely IRL-sailing... Nobody really knows what comes up, more or less... ;)

/Jep
Jepsom: I have done routing for Leg 5 and have already come 21st :) before we even start:) :)

Sorry I meant Leg 4. It would be interesting to see who was routing in the top 50
Gilles posted in there while I was writing last post! But he again illustrates that router use varies.
(and congrats on L4 win Gilles!)

Also, I edited OP to point out something that it occurs to me may have been mis understood.

All this tool does is reformat output from BWR. It does nothing else. specifically, BWR outputs alot of information about each 'leg' of a route, the distance, time enroute, avg wind etc.. all of which is not needed to set a DC. So this tool simply extracts the HDG and DATE/TIME from all that and puts it into the format used by branaid's DC Editor:
DATE TIME cc HDG
And the date is written in a different format also... ;-)

ie this: " 1 -43°30.000' 17°30.000' 223 224 8.72 124.44 14.3 10.14 99.72 02/01/2011 17:08 121 11.3 -29.3"
is changed into this:
"2011/01/02 17:08:00 cc 224"

Now, personally I do not think that sailing for long without using a TWA course is going to be very fast.
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
The "weatherthing" is a good idea Jepsom. I've been thinking about it too. IRL the weather and the weather forecast is not the same.
http://www.tangosailing.nu
______________/)_/)___________/)/)/)___
Hometown: Trosa, Sweden
Boat: Albin Express, SWE 410
..and I have Sailplanner in my computer. But I dont use it. Haven't paid for it and therefore no polars in it. And I have sleept all nights since start in Barcelona.
http://www.tangosailing.nu
______________/)_/)___________/)/)/)___
Hometown: Trosa, Sweden
Boat: Albin Express, SWE 410
Jep,
I totally see your points and I respect all opinions even if i do not agree with them.

You are an experienced sailor and you know that all top crew try to "bend" class rules in order to have an edge on the others. I had the luck of competing in a J24 World plus a number of European and National regattas and I remember:

1) people sandblasting the rudder and fin so smooth that it was shining like a mirror
2) people carrying extra weight under the wetsuit
3) helmsmans pumping the mainsail like windsurfers
4) crew shifting fore and aft on wave crests

all of these actions were "forbidden" by class rules but everyone who was aiming to the top spots in the rank was doing them. I believe that in X-35 there are a lot of those tweaks too.

I am not a computer programmer, in fact I believe I could make the same usage of any software router available so, restricting to only SailPlanner would not have any effect on the final outcomes.

Again I repeat myself, there is no way out to this discussion. We can only limit it, i.e. by setting the DC limit to 1 per hour so that no automatic steering would be possible. Or have a different ranking system, but this will be decided by the fairness of people admitting to use routing software or not.
WOW I have never known such quick posts that many are made while I was composing one!

Jepsom, I hadnt thought of plotting routes for others, but really it does u little good except to see if they are likely to pass you or not... You cannot change their routes ;-)

One thing that I have thought of is, why don´t put in some parameters that makes the weather show some difference compared to wx...? Then we have more likely IRL-sailing... Nobody really knows what comes up, more or less...

Jepsom, this really wouldnt do much... As long as there is enough information in the client for you to be able to plot a decent route (ie you can see the weather in the client) it is available to any tool... I will not go further here as it may get me into trouble I dont deserve, just indicating what is technically possible...

Unless you mean have weather that is not completely shown in the SOL client? I think that would cause more comments than using routers!
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Undercover: Can yo tell me which position I´ve got at Leg 5?? ;)

Well, I give up arguing in this subject. We just have some difference opinions...
course I want to win this ... but I would not be able to find enjoyment in setting the parameters of a computer, go to bed, and then wake up and see that the computer was thinking right ... yes, I won:))
I still want something which make the "true" weather show some differences from the wx... Windshift will come earlier or later... TWD +/- compared to the wx etc etc... thaht would make this as close as it can to the IRL.

Do not relax to much guys!
I still can beat you ;)

/Jep
I agree that small random variations would make it more realistic Jepsom, I am just pointing out that anything you can view in the client can also be extracted from the client, or recomputed by other software given the same input as the client... So at the end of the day, someone will go to all the effort needed to do this. There is simply no way to make it 'router proof' unless you make such random changes that are not visible to the client. But again, will not those who use a router still have small advantage? Consider that I could plot using router, that would then give me more time to spend trying to analyse the weather, no?

I am not trying to argue with you, please realize this. As ita says, we all have different opinions and I respect them all... :-)
I also respect all of you and your opinions, I sure do! There is only one exception... ita10267... ;)

Some years ago when we sailed a race called Gustaf Dahlén Race (different kind of boats), we approached a J24 when the skipper in the J-boat suddenly stood up, shouted laud and clear... "faster boats pass leewards"!! Is it a special rule for J-24 ita..:? ;)

I still laughing when it comes up in my mind, and we still make jokes of that comment :) :)

(nothing personaly ita) ;)

/Jep

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 2 - Great Sandy Stait

Get ready for another spectacular day on the water with the second and final race of our thrilling series! This time, the challenge extends to an ambitious 21-nautical-mile course through the scenic Great Sandy Strait of Australia. After a joyful post-race BBQ, our daring sailors will once again take the helm of their Seascape 18s! Expect more high-speed action, strategic sailing, and, of course, another fantastic BBQ to celebrate the end of this exciting series!
Race #1802
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 21:30 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client