Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Sailonline Yacht Club » brainaid

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

hi all
first of all, congrats and thanks to brainaid for his results and for building such a tool.
distributing the same tool and giving the same chance to all the sailors mean that we can give the same chance to a 5 year old child who has no idea about sailing but only keyboard and maybe numbers... i dont see why i shall play against machines that has no idea about sailing?
since i hv started with sol, i am using my own natural brain, looking at weather forecats and calculating angles etc etc... i hv good or bad results, i dont mind as long as i have pleasure, but all i am playing is a real game with no external support. i hv concluded that it is impossible to compete with the sailors using external weather forecasts and sailplanners. so we do have a small community and we r competing within ourselves disregarding other players on the list.
whatever brainaid is doing is great. i guess that can be a nice tool for professionals in real life and that he can market it. i may be one of the first buyers to use it in our regattas. but from sol side, which is only a game, we may not use such instruments, or we shall have different rankings.
i did hv in the past mentioned 2 subjects, via email or forum, i pay again attention to them: the weather forecats may face serious changes upon updates, then it is not fair for the ones not using external forecats. and the other subject is about the weight of the races; short or long, i guess that they shall not be same weighted and i hv suggested a formula for that, in the forum.
sol is just a game, but i have learnt a lot in terms of navigation! so why dont we keep it with an amateur spirit? i am participating less to the races, there may be few things to improve to keep the motivation high?...
have nice winds!
aklinyolu1

--- Last Edited by TUR Aklinyolu1 at 2009-11-28 12:21:39 ---
I was not agreement with my fellow countryman re using programs...however, when I read his last post his comment about people with no idea about sailing participate and turn this into a PC game ! I fully support what he says.

In the real world using navigation programming is unavoidable and acceptable, but unlike the sol environment, there you have to know the seas and sailing its not only about navigation programming. Making the nav program available to everybody will bu unfortunate and kill the sol.
Maybe or maybe not.

Using "Planning programs" is one of the major benefits in SoL because you can quickly learn how they work, their advantages and most importantly their disadvantages.

The "LEARNING" to use benefit IMHO is wonderful, and a real benefit and skill development for when you do a real ocean race. The alternative of struggling to learn a new system at sea is very VERY hard.

So practice using any planning program is good, but when you can compete against others, your bad decisions show up sooner.

The great advantage of using planners in SoL is that you don't get cold, wet, hungry and possibly sea sick.

Once having learned and used a planning program, IMHO, one is better equiped to SoL race WITHOUT needing to use one to see if you can beat the others.

Just that little more incentive and challange to improve your decision making process.

Using any "tool" is hard the first time. By the 31st time it is easier
By the 101st time, very easy . . . . but now you need to move onto chapter 2??? LOL
If it breaks, it's not strong enough!
but you are suggesting to use sol as a training ground for nav programs!

I want to have fun and develop my navigational feel and senses (which i believe is more important than learning to use a program). SOL should not be a training tool.

I am an old school engineer and although I use state-of-the-art software to design which is available today, I still use and value my judgment based on my insight and feel developed from the times when we had to work with paper, pencil and slide rulers...that's why I believe its something more valuable than just accepting the output of a software which is a closed box and one doesn't have a clue what's in the box if you don't have the feel.
Planning software is only a tool and the weather forcasts are only learned guesses based upon modelling, to crunch the numbers.

There needs to be "feelings" and estimates of the chances, probability that the actual weather will be exactly as forcasted. IRL this does not happen, Calm spots get bigger and capture one; you may not sail as fast as your polars, even if they were 100% accurate.

IMHO and my own experience, I can only say I learned a lot about sail planning using "Sail Planner". So for me SoL was a wonderful experience "Learning" to use a sail planning program. It certainly gave me many more examples and situations to practice and experiment with, rather than waiting for one long ocean race once every two or three years, if my domestic manager, SWMBO wife, agrees to let me go to sailing for that long. Basically most places from NZ take a week to get there and are in simple terms all have the nearest land about 1,000+ miles away.

I have enough problems racing every evening in the week already. I'm never home!!
If it breaks, it's not strong enough!
brainaid: "Now, after finishing the real brain work above, I use a script to program my planed track into SOL using DCs (delayed commands)"

Hmmmm ... as I suspected, your perfect tracks gave it away! Manually entering, and editing, the DC's is a time-consuming pain and I agree - you had an unfair advantage. But if you can provide a tool we can all use to improve this process, then please allow me to say 'Thank you very much!'

And please come back and race with us - your expertise is sadly missed!

Cheers,
Rhino
Reading all this and getting a bit disappointed. Some of the fun and joy has been taken out of this for me now. I don't mind any stand alone tools at all but when there are features used not available to all I consider that unfair to express it mildly. Yes, I use a router now and then, mostly on longer races but not always. On short races the router is not of that much help and I sail most of the time "unplugged".
I would very much like to see brainaid back into the game, but on the same page as the rest of us. It's only a game,let's keep it like that.
/Michael (SWE54)

--- Last Edited by Michael at 2009-12-02 00:08:34 ---

--- Last Edited by Michael at 2009-12-02 00:09:58 ---
Reading all this and getting a bit disappointed. Some of the fun and joy has been taken out of this for me now. I don't mind any stand alone tools at all but when there are features used not available to all I consider that unfair to express it mildly. Yes, I use a router now and then

You've just proved how subjective the concept of fairness is, because you see, for various reasons routing software is NOT available to all. So, if at times you'll be using routing software to aid you in your decisions in order to try and gain an advantage over other competitors, you'll do so because it is available to you. Eddie just took what was available to him to gain an advantage over you and others with similar software.

If it is taking some of the fun out of it for you, image what the others who don't have any such options might be feeling.

Philip (Schakel)
You've just proved how subjective the concept of fairness is, because you see, for various reasons routing software is NOT available to all. So, if at times you'll be using routing software to aid you in your decisions in order to try and gain an advantage over other competitors, you'll do so because it is available to you. Eddie just took what was available to him to gain an advantage over you and others with similar software.

If it is taking some of the fun out of it for you, image what the others who don't have any such options might be feeling.

Philip (Schakel)
As I understood it he had a software that communicated directly with SOL. That is over the line for me. Maybe I understood it wrong but having features "in SOL" not available to others is not ok.
/Michael (SWE54)

--- Last Edited by Michael at 2009-12-02 15:28:29 ---
As I understood it he had a software that communicated directly with SOL. That is over the line for me. Maybe I understood it wrong but having features "in SOL" not available to others is not ok.
/Michael (SWE54)

---
Please don't take the the wrong way but it is over the line for you because it is not available to you and it puts you at a disadvantage. If your router was, say, Sailplanner and it had a similar function built in, you wouldn't for a minute have thought it unfair towards users of Deckman or Expedition.

The routing tool you are using most likely is not plugged in to SOL, but you are not manually entering the weather data, are you? Elsewhere on this forum, people have asked about ways to automatically enter SOL's data into Expedition. Why? Well, to gain an advantage by automation, of course. Basically the exact opposite of what Eddie was doing. Yet not a single post of how unfair that would be. And I am not so sure there aren't already people doing precisely that.

The only thing that Eddie has done, was outsmarting all of us. But sooner or later, somebody was bound to.

Philip (Schakel)

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client