Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Great circle versus loxodrome

If the line from start to goal is the loxodrome, does sailonline calculate distances taking great circle into account.
I don´t really understand what you are asking for but the boats sail in loxodromes if constant cc is set. So does the course tool and "ruler".
...one of the guys behind the game...
hmm, may I enhance the question?

I read in the manual:
"In Sailonline you can choose to navigate using great circles."

How?
I only know navigation using CC (loxodrome) and TWA, but not great circle navigation.

Can you explain?
Well... in the old client you could chose. In the web-based client you cannot.. yet...
In the meantime there are a few web based calculators for great circle, I like this one (cause it is easy to enter lat/long in same format as sol chart): http://www.waypoint.org/gps1-calc.html
Last night I anchored at the coast,
because I had scheduled my tacks too early for the decreasing winds.

I am a newbie in this, I guess following idea was discussed already before, but I couldn't find anything on it, so:

A steering option like "steering towards a coordinate" could be useful for great circle navigation as well as to launch new commands by reaching a position (not by time). This would allow me to program a much more reasonable and reliable behaviour during my absences.

Sorry for this silly wish, but I am one of the old fashioned human beings that still require some hours sleep per day, have fixed working hours, but still enjoy this game very much.

--- Last Edited by Velum SUI at 2009-02-11 13:09:37 ---
Hi! Your request is understandable, not new and logic. Different steering alternatives are discussed and on our list. Thanks for communicating :-)
This is not a reply but a query related to this topic.
I think there is an error in the way the "ruler" works now. The map is Mercator Projection I believe, which is created by projecting the earth's surface onto a surrounding cylinder as if illuminated from within using a line light source from North to South poles. Thus the latitudes are horizontal, and towards the poles the area is stretched latitudinally. Using such a projection for Great Circle lines, a theoretical Great Circle line drawn on the earth's surface from Qingdao to Cape Horn and projected on your Mercator projected map would not go further south than necessary to round the horn. But your lines go far further south, and even traverse across Australia and other land. I think your algorithm for the Great Circle lines assumes some sort of projection as if from a point source at the centre of the earth instead of from a line source.
Further to my previous (2009-02-14 22:59:18) I see that I am wrong and you are right - as you knew all along I guess - you were just too nice to say so. Not having a globe of the world I experimented with a baseball, a flowerpot, a pencil and a pair of dividers, and I see that by my approximate method the line from Qingdao to Cape Horn could go as far as 70 degrees South. So your 75 degrees is I guess correct. Sorry for doubting you all! :-)

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 2 - Great Sandy Stait

Get ready for another spectacular day on the water with the second and final race of our thrilling series! This time, the challenge extends to an ambitious 21-nautical-mile course through the scenic Great Sandy Strait of Australia. After a joyful post-race BBQ, our daring sailors will once again take the helm of their Seascape 18s! Expect more high-speed action, strategic sailing, and, of course, another fantastic BBQ to celebrate the end of this exciting series!
Race #1802
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
May 8 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: May 04th 21:30 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client