Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » newcomers on SOL

I think everybody will agree with me that the newcomers are welcome on this site.
They are to be helped whenever they ask for help.
I noticed that most of us are polite and really help them.There are however some of the players who does not behave that way and otherwise use to offend other players.
This should not happen!

I am sailing, like many others from here also on other good virtual sailing site LS -Live Skipper and many of LS players are also sailing here on SOL as they are two best virtual sailing sites.
I am promoting SOL on LS and look here what I got from one LS players who is actually site representative.

vanna
Posted: 11 Jun 2012 18:01
Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Captain
Level 13
Joined: 01 Nov 2011 Posts: 258 Location: Portoroz,Slovenia SI
Hallberg wrote:
Re: SOL. I tried it a few years ago. It looked ok, I had a go, ok, Then I asked a simple Question in the Chatroom and got a barrage of abuse from 5 players..'Go and read the F...ing manual or go away!'
That's bad attitude. I told them to shove it where the Sun don't shine, Wankers.

That would not Happen in LS. Nuff said.

Russ,I am astonished on what you are saying.When I started there 2 years ago,everybody was willing to help and I myself am always helping newcomers.
There are few of them not polite I and had never contacts with them again.
Could you kindly tell me, if you remember the names of the boats which behaved like that?
Btw what race you were sailing?

UNQUOTE

For better understanding my boat there is VANNA,and last part of "quote" is my reply to him.

There are however other opinions on SOL there as this:

vanna
Posted: 12 Jun 2012 09:14
Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Captain
Level 13
Joined: 01 Nov 2011 Posts: 258 Location: Portoroz,Slovenia SI
Paradise wrote:
agree with the former speakers that both LS and SOL are far better than VORG.

I think we should try our level best to get players from VORG, once it stops in July , Galway finish and those addicted virtual sailors are looking for a better replacement. That is how I started with LS about 3 years back.

Completely agree with you Paradise,and that's what I did when this VORg edition started.I sent some 50 PMs to the players that VORg is kaka and I proposed at that time(October 2011) to visit SOL.One of those was Fourwinds-Daria.We exchanged few PMs and that's how I came to LS and she said she was sailing at SOL too.
I very often nominate at SOL of very good site LS and I am convinced and had some confirmation that many of SOL players tried LS too.

Close to the end of this edition of VORg shall repeat PMs there and tell them if they like virtual sailing to join LS or SOL or both.I know for sure that it is working as many joined SOL in October and November last year.

Actually I would like to promote fraternizing between two best virtual sailing sites.
========================
For your info Paradise is LS site representative too.

--- Last Edited by Capt.D.P. at 2012-06-12 09:52:21 ---

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2012-06-12 11:51:54 ---
Thanks africa - I can't imagine anyone nowadays speaking to a newbie in a bad fashion. Hopefully, since I became SOLgoddess nearly 2years ago, there has been a greater enforcement of good manners as I am online a lot and, like my fellow SOL Admins, do not tolerate bad behaviour or language.

Please do invite folks from LS to visit again to revise their opinions!

:-)
africa
Well said and good reminder here. I agree with RC that I have never seen/read bad behavior toward newbies as described. I suspect the "regulars" would jump on that person quite quickly these days (I'm sure you know what a Pirate would do to them!).

I have tried some races in LS and can honestly report that, while interesting, it CERTAINLY does not have a usable chat feature. Since I sail so badly, the chat is often the most enjoyable part!

Hope more virtual sailors become SOLers!!

SP
Hi! I'm a Noob! :)

While I can't comment on other new visitor's experiences - my own have been _nothing at all_ like those described.

Everyone I've interacted with on the chat has been warm, friendly, welcoming, and quick to offer-up tips to this noob.

I couldn't ask for a nicer welcome.

Anecdote it may be, but I offer it to offset other experiences mentioned.

Maybe it was from someone I haven't come across? Or someone having a bad day?

I've been on chat a lot since the start of the Raid, and haven't seen anything I'd imagine anyone thinking "rude" other than good-natured ribbing. And come now: It's a _race_!

For those I've interacted with, too many to remember and I wouldn't want to leave anyone out:

Thanks for making me feel welcome!

--- Adrenalynn

--- Last Edited by Adrenalynn at 2012-06-17 03:54:51 ---
Thanks Adrenalynn - much appreciated! Its good to hear how we seem to folks who first jump into chat - like all good organisations we welcome feedback whether it is constructive criticism or just plain old pats on the back!

:-)
I do remember a while back (probably around the time i started developing the client) there were a few that got quite rambunctious in the chat, 'F' this and that all the time - but as far as I could see it was limited to toward each other. I actually did report 1 case of it to Kalle. It was definitely 'both ways' and I don't recall them behaving badly toward anyone else - but this is something to look into further.

@Capt. D.P.: Do you have any idea WHEN this might have occurred ?? Even during what race it was would be of help?
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Klaipeda to Helsinki

Welcome to the first of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are being organized in-real-life by Sail Training InternationalThis first race is from Klaipeda, Lithuania to Helsinki, Finland; circa 240nm in Sailonline’s stately fanciful Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1811
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
July 6 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 27th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Haida Gwaii 2024

We will end the second quarter of the ARCH competition with a 390nm race around the Haida Gwaii islands (literally "Islands of the Haida people"), also known as the Queen Charlotte Islands. This is an archipelago located on the northern Pacific coast of Canada. In SOL, we last raced on this route in 2012 and few people remember what happened there. Prepare your Riptide 50 well, it's going to be a lot of fun.
Race #1819
INFO from brainaid.de
Riptide 50 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
July 3 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 24th 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Newport Bermuda Race 2024

The 636-mile biennial Newport Bermuda Race is one of the oldest regularly scheduled ocean races, and with the Fastnet Race and the Sydney to Hobart Race, it is one of the three great classic races of the yachting world. Founded in 1906, this 53rd running of the Bermuda Race can again also be participated in online.
Entries are invited for one of the four divisions:
Double-Handed Division:
Jeanneau Sun Fast 3600
St. David's Lighthouse Division:
Santa Cruz 52
Gibbs Hill Lighthouse Division:
Judel Vrolijk 62
Finisterre Division:
Riptide 50
Details for each yacht are available in the ‘Particulars’ links below. As in real life, you can only sail one boat in one division, so choose your virtual yacht carefully, and because of the unusual (for SOL) 4-division nature of the event, please note results will not count towards any Sailonline rankings.
Race #1808
INFOby brainaid.de
Sun Fast 3600 PARTICULARS
Santa Cruz 52 PARTICULARS
Judel Vrolijk 62 PARTICULARS
Riptide 50 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: None
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 21st 17:05 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Auckland to San Francisco 2024

Welcome back to Auckland as we continue our Round The World voyage. This 5600 nautical miles race from Auckland to San Francisco, first sailed in 2023, is the third leg of the RTW, proposed by SOLer ita10267. It is also the June edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the Swan 65, as in all RTW races this year.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1790
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - OCCH - RTW - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
July 9 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 03rd 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Siaki
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client