Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Is it cheating, unfair or acceptable??

Page: First Previous 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next Last

Aaron,
since the early days of SOL the term boatsitting has been used to define the mutual help between sailors to share each other boats destiny (i.e. by sharing the updates burden). This has always been accepted without any problem.

Now this topic, IMHO, is subtly (and willingly?) switching from the UC/Exmero fact (which is resolved given the will of Exmero to be RAF) during Leg 6 of RTW race to more personal stuff. In particular, us sailing the ITA_2011 boat.

We have clearly stated that when ITA_2011 is sailing the personal boats remain ashore, with the exception of Gilles during RTW because he asked the other ITA team members to be free from ITA duties and to sail his own boat. We stated this clearly in the forum and we have obeyed to this SELF imposed rule.

Now every discussion seems to trigger a recurrent problem with some of the users and our teamboat ITA_2011. Since this discussion will never reach to an agreed conclusion I would ask you to refer directly to the organizers of this game and call for ruling. Since we are all competing according to SOL rules, this should eventually be accepted by anyone.
Thank you all for your posts in this topic.

I wan't to reply to the comments made earlier, we are looking at this with great interest and trying to work out a workable sollution for this issue. We have had this discussion a few times before but we are still looking for a way to implement this directly on the server side.

We wan't to avoid subjective ruling as much as possible and we are very hessistant to limit the current user freedom. Limiting acces to a single ip will also limit the freedom to check Sol on the road and at work. Also we strongly feel that Sol must be a open and fair community to all.

We are looking at some general rules to adres this initialy on the basis of a fair use policy. So we can adress the obvious cases.
Please let me know your thoughts on that idea, so we can turn this discussion into something productive.

Jeroen
I am a ex-admin of SOL who joins in from time to time.
Is it possible to change SOL and not the rules?
Add three "flags" to each boat:
-Routing
-Sharing
-Single-handed, Own brain only.

Update the client to show own catagory only.
Change the server to rank according to category.

Commit to a category when entering a race.
Leave the categories to be a matter of trust.
Our rules state that a sailor can have only one boat. This is stated when you register a boat.

The FAQ section states:-
Q: Can me and a friend "share" a boat although we do not share the same computer, or even live in the same country?

A: Yes, no problem. Just share your login details and you are all set to share the boat. Only question is - do you trust your friend?

Q: Why is it not allowed to have more than one boat?

A: We like to give all players a fair chance, multiple boats is considered cheating and therefore not allowed.

Are the FAQs part of the rules?

These are the things which need to be clarified. This is NOT an accusation of cheating---it is just 'confusion'.

--- Last Edited by Rod at 2011-04-06 15:50:02 ---
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Maybe someting as simple as a prefix to the boat name ie 1ybwlopud indicating one skipper or 2ybwlopud indicating 2 people are able to control the boat etc. This would enable you to quickly see in the boat names those boats with only 1 skipper for example by entering 1 in the search box
Ybwlopud: Certainly one idea that would indicate "division" but would NOT reflect in the results. Further each race you would have a different boat name possibly, which would further make more server traffic loads.

I would prefer that when you "ENTER" for any race, at the same time you select a boat type (but most races these days have only one boat type to choose from) one would additionally TICK (select) if you use "Routing Software", and if have more than one skipper (boat sharing). Otherwise you would be assumed to be a single skipper (Solo) with NO outside (routing software) help.

The BOAT Tab could have two extra colums indicating if you have Software and/or more than one skipper.

Additionally a declaration or change of status pop-up question where you can change the status for that race if necessary.

Then the results could have "divisional" results.

Therefore even though I finished in 127th fleet position, I was also 67th in "No Routing Software division" but amazingly a wonderful 35th in the "Single Skipper / Solo" division = YIPPEE!!!!!!

The results leaderboard only needs 2 extra columns for "places" and be able to be sorted on that basis.

--- Last Edited by Paul Rosser at 2011-04-07 09:15:29 ---
If it breaks, it's not strong enough!
Paul, and all...
(but not directly to Paul who has done many good points here, regardind skipper responsibility, time sleep etc...)
if you know, which boat is sailing how, you can work yourself the "YIPPEE!!!!!!" parts. I always know who are my "direct" competitor.
I do not need someone who tell me who is using a router, and I do not care, as I know I can beat any router with my brain 90% of the time.

Let me ask to you and other sailors:
till now in which category would put me in the actual Ron Miel regata?

to not bother in case the answer is: SOTP, single hand, no routing no sleeping.

--- Last Edited by Gilles at 2011-04-07 09:39:33 ---
Great feedback guys

I certainly like the idea of divisions even if its just a gentlemans agreement - honesty thing. I also like the idea that Paul suggested to make this choice for individual races. Even though this would require some more bells and whistles to actualy make that work. This allows for a different approach in short and longer races too.

I understand the best way it to reflect this in the client in some way but that would certainly be a bit tricky keeping it simple and sleak like we want too. A easier way is to reflect this in serries and Sol rankings on the main page.

This is my personal opinion on this but I will have a chat and see if we can fit this into actual development.

--- Last Edited by Jeroen Tiel at 2011-04-07 11:18:51 ---
I am a ex-admin of SOL who joins in from time to time.
Gilles: I belive you are sailing "own brain" as I am, but I take advantage of the "routers" choices a lot of the time.
I actually caught up to # 19 by chosing different than "routers", but then I got cockey (porce miseria) and made a stupid mistake aproaching Tenerife 2 which put me back where I belong.
Thanks Jeroen.

I strongly believe we need a declaration AFTER the finish, which is more important than at entry time, to confirm no "changes" have been made during the race.

Thus you may enter as "solo skipper" but if you run aground or sail wildly off course, then are rescued by somebody else, you can alter your status from "solo" to "multiple" skipper (boat sitting) for the final results.

--- Last Edited by Paul Rosser at 2011-04-07 19:50:57 ---
If it breaks, it's not strong enough!

Page: First Previous 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next Last

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 2 - Great Sandy Stait

Get ready for another spectacular day on the water with the second and final race of our thrilling series! This time, the challenge extends to an ambitious 21-nautical-mile course through the scenic Great Sandy Strait of Australia. After a joyful post-race BBQ, our daring sailors will once again take the helm of their Seascape 18s! Expect more high-speed action, strategic sailing, and, of course, another fantastic BBQ to celebrate the end of this exciting series!
Race #1802
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 21:30 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client