Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Sailonline Yacht Club » brainaid

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

The boat brainaid is available freely to whoever want's to play. The password is "sol".
_/)_/)_/)
The sea is lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to sail before I sleep, And miles to sail before I sleep.
I would want for your boat to wait for your return.

Fair winds.
I hope everything is OK, and wish you a speedy return to the SOL community. You are going to be missed!

Regards,

Toño
Hi. The basic idea is one boat-one player. Some users share boats and help each other out and that is totally ok, but SOL does not really like that boats are totally freely available as in the example above. I will therefore ask brainaid to change the password.

--- Last Edited by Jakob Kuttenkeuler at 2009-11-05 08:32:00 ---
...one of the guys behind the game...
OK. I understand. I will change my password back, so no public brainaid for you folks...

The original discussion between me and Jakob that lead to my (probably over reaction) resign was about fairness. Fairness is important to me, I fully agree with Jakob in this point.

A little background: I am a programmer on Unix. I have been using Unix since I first touched a computer (still young enough to say so ;)). In Unix, when you have to solve tedious recurring tasks you write a small program or a script to do the task for you. I do this everyday, I script google maps to resolve postal codes of addresses for example.

I did the same for SOL, programming DCs from routes that I calculate. I calculate a lot of routes, for Leg 5 of the Volvo from China to Rio I calculated about 15000 routes. I manually judge all this data and conclude with a track to follow during the next few hours. This is quite a bit of work, and it is not easy. More data is good, you can see that if you look at my results. But it is not easy to judge between all these options. I sometimes spend an hour to decide whether to up or down a single degree...

Now, after finishing the real brain work above, I use a script to program my planed track into SOL using DCs (delayed commands). I did not think about this being unfair at all, it simply was the logical step for me.

But I see this may make a difference, as the "normal" user with the client has to calculate decimal hours to enter as delay. And has to click for each DC to set.

So I will pause racing until I have some solution to make this fair again. As there is no way to verify I am still using this script or not (I can insert random pauses into my access to SOL, so this looks like a human entering DCs), I have come up with a different idea:

I will start building a SOL toolbox for everybody to use on sol.brainaid.de. This toolbox will contain a DC editor where you can modify DC times or CC/TWA values and be able to copy-paste a list of DCs into. I will also make other (smaller) utilities available in this toolbox. I will use stop using my scripts and only use this toolbox and the SOL client to do my boat control.

I hope this sounds fair to you all, I believe this will give some more insight on what I am able to do and some cool features to use for all of you.

Please give me some time to come online with this, I am away this weekend doing the last real life sail on our X-37 and away next weekend getting the boat out of the water. If there would not be the necessary job for money I would stay on board for the week in between, maybe do a quick trip to Scotland ;) But that's an impossibility and of topic here...

Feel free to comment, even if you have objections against this. I want this discussion open to keep this a fair sport.

Cheers,
Eddie
_/)_/)_/)
The sea is lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to sail before I sleep, And miles to sail before I sleep.
Tools that enhance the feature
set available for everyone
sounds like an admirable resolution

~ Kudos

--- Last Edited by Aethereal at 2009-11-06 02:31:49 ---
None so blind
I was with SOL from the beginning and we raced against eachother without using any extra tools... It was great fun because the winner of the race did it without support, just using his skills and experience of weather interpretation. Last night we had again a discussion with some die-hards of the first hour and they all agree on making a separate division within SOL for racing WITHOUT any extra tools. This is the only manner to avoid discussions as we have now for months. So I think we have a point to split up SOL in different levels, e.g. beginners (newbies), old school, routers, ... Still then it is up to yourselve to be honnest enough to take part in the correct category...
"Sailing is an Art"
The original discussion between me and Jakob that lead to my (probably over reaction) resign was about fairness. Fairness is important to me, I fully agree with Jakob in this point.

Now, after finishing the real brain work above, I use a script to program my planed track into SOL using DCs (delayed commands). I did not think about this being unfair at all, it simply was the logical step for me.

--
I long suspected as much and I feel it is not all that different from what others are doing. In the chat I read about people using homegrown tools all the time, varying from Excel spreadsheets to full-blown weather routing applications. You just took it a step further than most.

I will start building a SOL toolbox for everybody to use on sol.brainaid.de.

--
Please, do. I can use all the help I can get :-). However, you should not have to feel you have to. While I do understand where Sailport's objections are coming from, blaming the guy who is really good at it is the easy way out. I feel that excitement in play, a well-balanced playing field and so on, are primarily the responsibilty of game organizers, not its users. Already in January, shortly after I became member, it occured to me that in order to make the game more attractive to more people SOL needed a more advanced and varied ranking system, yet most changes since then appear to be cosmetic.

Feel free to comment, even if you have objections against this. I want this discussion open to keep this a fair sport.

--
Again, it is my opinion that the game in itself is fair enough insofar that rewards will come to those who are willing and able to put in the large amounts of time, thought, dedication and energy you and several others are. Having said that, I feel Sailport should also accomodate for people who need their 8 hours of sleep and/or hold a day job.

Good to have you back.
Philip
Good News! Glad to know you are coming back!!

Your toolbox seems like a great idea! As far as fairness in concerned... You should never apologize for "building a better mousetrap"! Keep doing what you do best and don't listen to the naysayers!!

Regards
I thought about designing my own program right in the beginning but decided to have some fun first and learn the basics.

Make no mistake people, it is a very competitive world. IRL in the Americas cup for example, the teams eke out every last edge in boatspeed they can make. Be it in boat, sail, keel design etc. The weather would also be analised to the nth degree. Just to be able to better the opposition. In all walks of life there are amateurs and professionals.....Hmm. The choice is mine "Get better or accept my level as it is"

Ive been sailing SOL for maybe 4 months and my competitive instinct says, get the software and spend more time and thus take my finishing positions to the next level.

I say well done all you folk that have engineered your own systems to sail faster. You have set me a very high standard to reach and this can only be a good thing.

Nevertheless...Man I'm enjoying this new hobby and Hell its costing me lots of money for the internet access but its all worth it for sure:)

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
April 30 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client