Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Sailors with routers

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

For me it's like buncha's way to sail at SOL. When I'm sailing IRL, I don't care about my virtual boat. The same is when work disturbs my online sailing. I start days too late, I sail without routing, I abandon (virtual) ships because of the other activities and I'm happy when I stay in the top 50.

Use whatever you like to use. If you feel well while using ist, use it. There's at least one boat that searches it's way all alone. A masterpiece in engineering (when it's succesfull) but a different way to have fun than my way. I don't care and I don't need additional classes.

But there will be the day when I win a race!

ciao
Bernd
A lot has been written on the topic, I (an user of BWR routing software) agree with outlaw's post, and won't go into more details on how much use of router software helps. Do note though that all SOLers do routing, primary router being your brain;)

Regarding segregation of SOLers to different classes and the impact of that in attractiveness of SOL to newcomers, I think a separate category for "recreational" SOLers might be a good idea. Especially if implemented in the way described by kroppyer, that would probably not be a major effort and would not have an impact on "hardcore" SOLers. I think at least LiveSkipper has two separate rankings called "Open" and "Passion".
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I'm right.
I agree with karriv and Outlaw. I find the more I SOL the better I get, whether I use Router or not. I moved from SOTP to BW more than a year ago to confirm my SOTP thinking. In some cases I was confirmed, in others not and then I had to start questioning 'Why?'. A good example of this is what is happening now in the Southern Race, BW said go south and I disagreed then BW came around to my thinking.

Moral is...Router or not, its me that has to take the final decision.

Next point. Even amongst routers there are levels of performance, and in all honesty I still have so much to learn in this area. But Heck. This is my journey and I have been on it since 2009 when I started on SOL.

Another point. It might just be my personality (Competitive) but I find the need to learn and push myself harder and smarter to beat folks, or match, like outlaw/rumskib/rafa/karriv et al such a lovely challenge and it is what keeps me coming back for more. And because I know the commitment to time and thinking that it takes to get to the lead and hold onto it I have the most high respect for any winner of any race Ocean or Sprint or Timed.

Last point. I just cannot give SOL as much time as I would like (Work and Life) so I find these days I am either starting late or starting timeously but then rushing my decisions and having to play catch up. I started the SWR2014 Leg 1, 29 hours after the gun in position 419, decided that my challenge would be to see how many places I can gain, and finished in position 64!!! I cannot explain the sense of satisfaction this finish has given me. So there is always some joy to be had on SOL. How we make this available to the wider community is the challenge I guess and having a two tier system Passion and Open will be a good start

George
Close to 100% of all the post about this subject are correct and fair.
I’ll make a small exception to some expressed intentions of making special SOL classes (ex.: the dichotomy of routers vs. non routers). That’s totally nonsense.
You can have a beautiful house, a beautiful wife (not the Talking Heads tune, folks) and a beautiful router but, if you don’t understand the weather, forget all that “beauty”. Before starting to learn any kind of routing, trying first to learn how the weather really works is much more wise and productive.
A SOL sailor that I admire much said: “read the wind”. I’m still learning.
Competitors here are tough. Thank Good they are, but, sorry SOLers, my first opponent is always myself. I find out pleasure sailing, sometimes alone (Sprints and TR’s), without any pressure to cover the rest of the fleet, or follow the winning path (what a mistake…) but, just discovering the game and their small tricks, which by the way, the majority makes secret of it.
Give first without the intention to receive latter.
For now, it’s only an idea, but, I would like to find out a SOL school, where the experienced SOLers would contribute with their knowledge and some of their time to teach others.
Somehow the initiative of putting race winners to log out their thoughts goes in that direction (“karriv” and Jan/”bonknhoot” are examples to follow).
“ita10267” (I hate to name persons like that) put the finger on some of the wounds when he mention a lot of things that can be improved before … the rest. Priorities oblige.
But small things can be done in parallel.
Think of that.

Sail Fair.
Even though this topic has been discussed in the past, so I think that this time has come up so many good thoughts in this topic! I hope some of the ideas become reality, especially some sort of tutorial or basic education. I have learned a lot from this discussion from all doubt many people. I have sailed dinghies and small sailboats in our archipelago, so if I'm going to sail on the oceans so maybe I need to develop myself and maybe learn sailing with software soon ...!
Husse
Viva Husse,

Pls have a look on:

sol sailing school why not

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2014-12-22 22:40:10 ---
Sail Fair.
OK, I wrote this in the Finnish chat of Southern Ocean Dash and it turned out so good that I decided to translate it here, even if I had decided not to go into the direction of benefits of using routing software:

Some thoughts on factors affecting the success in SOL:

I think the success depends on two factors:

1. Ability to estimate what is the strategically best route (long term route)
2. Ability to implement/realise that route optimally

Now, my feeling is that point 2 above has in general a bigger impact on success than point 1. That is, if we assume two routes (in the sense of 1 above), A and B, in many cases a well implemented A will beat B, AND (and here the and is important) a well implemented B will beat A. There are numerous examples of this from ocean races where very very very different strategic routes end up in very close finish times.

Using a router (mostly) helps in point 1 above. My experience is that BWR is not especially good in point 2.
Good Points and tought´s everybody
I have second thought´s about my idee with different classes, all our input and thoght´s have made it clearer,at least for me, about the advantage with just one group as it is today.
But i´m looking for a way to attract new sailors to SOL, it much more fun if we are more sailors.
Is it possible to have a SOL-router, that everybody can se, with simple instructions how to use it ??
I Think, and know, that a lot of people loose the interest in SOL when they see the same boat´s rushing along to the endpoint.
I understand the effort that people put in too understand routers and use them to make the best way to the endpoint, they have all my respect.
But i remember when my friend Mega30, introduced me to this game, i have sailed before, so i understod how it works.
But i´ve never used a router in my Life, i´ve looked at the wind, sail, see & the feeling of the boat.
I just think SOL should have an easy and understandable free router, soo that all, neewbies and oldies, could race on the same terms.
And if SOL could get more people interested in sailing, virtual or alive, it should be great.
I just have too thank you all for putting thoughts and effort into this thread, i hope it keeps on so we can develope SOL further
Husse
I'd be tempted to answer that there is a free, simple-to-use router available, namely BWR;)

The threshold for that isn't that high. Aaron had made a nice tutorial which got BWR up and running for me:

http://soltools.wordpress.com/bwr/intro-bwr/

Happy routing!
Now this is tricky .. as I like to beat routing sailors without router .. what group :)

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client