Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Sailors with routers

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

I thought about this long and hard, and I'm going to step on people's toes anyway with an honest answer, so be warned...
1. It is safe to assume that the consistent winners are good in every phase of the game, including the skill to come up with very good SOTP routes. In that regard the router debates are always somewhat insulting.
2. It's a given that routers offer a competitve advantage, that said the real gain is in time spent. Which you want to minimize in a multi week race. The difference between good SOTP and true optimum route is bound to be trumped by wx "luck" by orders of magnitude.
3. When I started in SOL my goal wasn't winning but to come up with sensible routes. It seems to me that people who whine about routers often fail that standard.
4. While some good info is out there, I'm not aware of any good and comprehensive routing tutorial. This should be fixed.
5. The need to do 5 million little course changes per race is a problem. Allowing the server to take VMC commands could be a way to level the playing field, although I'm ambivalent on the matter.
6. People have in the past suggested to reward online time in some form. (in the form of micro randomised wx or whatever). A horrible idea that would drive me to either look at automation or quit SOL altogether.
7. IMO the powers that be need to have a hard look at race design. I think that much of the supposed SOTP friendly design is not working. Ocean races are the most popular, one should put more emphasis on medium length events along the lines of Sail Fiji or S2H. Easier start/finish layouts would be nice too.

Lastly am I the only one who thinks the F1 comparision is silly? Maybe the series has changed since I last watched, for the worse I'm sure. Back when 2 drivers would sweep all races in a given season. Good times.
Re outlaw's #4:

QtVLM runs on windows, linux and mac. Installation on Windows ad Mac should be quite straighforward. I plan to make a little guide on installation under linux (rpm based, already guides for deb based).

Here is my "introduction to QtVLM". Other tutorials can be found here. I want to make another solfans post for some slightly more advanced options.

QtVLM is completely free (opensource, even).

If there's any reason why the argument "I cannot route" is still valid, let me know.
_____
That leaves the perfectly fine "I don't want to route". For those people:
If you've never tried it. Try it for one or two races (ocean races). It'll teach you a lot, even SOTP skills. It will also teach you that it's not a simple "click the button and get an optimal route", it leaves a lot to meteorology etc. As dingo says "Most routers only take an hour or two to understand their use. It takes a few more hours to also understand when not to use them.".
**I'm not trying to get you into routing, I'm telling you to examine what routing really is**

Then finally, as I said before, I would really love to have a group+ranking (or more) with people who've agreed to use no other software than on a given list. I really understand (I think I do) the experience of SOTP sailing, and it certainly would be nice to see who's sailing SOTP with you.

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2014-11-09 12:40:13 ---
Outlaw said it all. I agree with his points from first to last. Especially #1.
Again, for SOL-racing, any freeware routing software is OK (BWR, QtVLM etc). With the help of brainaid gribs/polars anyone can start with the same gear. Will everyone finish at the same time. NO.
It is true that this router bashing is not fair. I believe that most sailors who do use a router also spend more time on the game.

It takes me at least 15 or 20 minutes at each wx to do routing calculations. On top of that I usually spend at least a few hours (often more) each day monitoring the situation and hand steering my little boat.

So if there should be a division between boats it should not be between router/non-router user. But rather between the time spend on the game. And that would not work.

This kind of action will not increase the number of players in SOL. In the inferior VR platform over 6000 players have already finished the first leg of the VOR race. Some of them SOTP, thousands of them are router users.
I've been SOL'ing for a few years as a SOTP (obvious) in ocean events that allow me to work (part time), sail, play golf and sleep well. From race results and continuous encounters I get to know those boats that are skippered by people who would live a similarly time consuming lifestyle to myself. I would not like to use a router because my expectation of me would be that of becoming one of the "bee hive" of boats that are expected to produce the winner.
I enjoy my occasional use of SOL racing against those boats I happily call 2nd division.
cheers BUNCHA
We need some more groups, not just routers and non routers ;) Whats about guys like me, who start a race without a router but bring in a router in the middle of the game and end the race without any router? Is it allowed to start in the nonrouter group if i run a router but ignore its output? Who will control that? I just wonder that most of the critics about routers came from folks that never used a router. Do you really think you can start an ocean race with your router, make your DC´s and thats it. After your 3 week vacation you will in the top ten? Thats a nice dream! Test the routers and you will change your mind that routers gives you an automatic top ranking. BTW, even in real sailing its a good idea to use uptodate tools.
To me, yacht racing is a little like golf. In golf we agree to be bound by the rules as we do when we race on the water (RRS #2 Fair Sailing).

I think we need to create two or three categories and people need to check the appropriate box at the beginning of the race and confirm it at the end ... a post-race declaration that we have sailed by the rules of the race.

Some possibilities include:

NR/SOTP - No Routing (nothing beyond the SOL client)
LR - Limited Routing (provided by SOL'ers)
FR - Free Router(s)
CR - Commercial Router (Expedition, etc)
AP - Full Auto-Pilot
X - eXperimental

Your thoughts?
I don't use a router myself, usually my results reflect quite well how much time I am willing or can dedicate to the race.

I think what outlaw wrote is pretty much my thoughts about the subject. The router is just a calculator which reduces the time needed.

Some questions in my mind about this which should be decided if we choose to do this:
- How should the possible different categories be visible?
- Should you be able to change category during a race (obviously not from router to non-router)
- Who is volunteering to do the changes?
Given the wx uncertainties (ofter 5-7 days every wx forecast becomes crap) routing in ocean races is only useful to quickly understand the wx pattern. On the other hand, between two WP whose distance is below 6hrs, a router can give you the perfect solution. But in these cases a lot of manual steering is also involved making the router pretty useless.

Now, if you don't want to use it, to it's like refusing 3DL sails on a TP52. Here (not speaking about short races) we test our planning skills and to do that, as IRL, many use software tools. Want to make a class ranking? Put an R close to my boat name. Will I be sure that all the fellows in the NR class will never look at software tools? No. Is there a way to enforce this? No. Will this attract new solers? No.

I am sorry but I really think we should put our limited time into other improvements:

- Better polar for new boats (the one used in SWR Leg 1 demands for improvement).
- Better wx data (we should use always max resolution NOAA, in the client we should have the setting to download a lower resolution set, if bandwidth is an issue).
- Better connections with important IRL races in our countries (this ATTRACTS new SOLers).
- Mobile client for Iphone (the one for Android is a beauty, now it's the apples' turn)
- And a lot more.
I, who was an opponent of the router before, have realized that it´s not worth anything to begin putting too much boundaries and putting everybody in the same box. You just have to accept that there will be different opportunities out there, just like that we have more or less time to spend on this. I also believe that those who sail with router runs a small risk of being wrong if they rely on the router too much. They must, after all, to think a little longer than 6 hours, just like the rest of us.

Besides ... it is possible to beat them ...;-)

/Jepsom

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client