Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Suggestions, where to post?

Page: 1 2 Next

I was not able to find a "search" capability for the forums, thus my question below.

Do we have a dedicated "Subject" for suggestions?

How hard would it be to allow a "drag and drop" of your boat during pre-start after registration has been opened?

Cheers!
LaoziSailor

Everything gets done by not doing anything!
With all due respect, my friend, I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this idea, the programming complexities aside for the moment, if the boats do not behave normally, as they would during the race, there is no standard to compare the relative performance of any two competitors during the pre-race phase thus rendering any semblance of match racing moot.

Quite often there is enough time to either run the course or find weather conditions to fully exercise the boat's polar diagram prior to the race that will familiarize yourself with the necessities to come.
None so blind
You can use the site operator in both Google and Bing to search the Sailonline forum for any information you need. For instance, to search the forum for posts about VMG, you would enter

VMG site:www.sailonline.org/board

HTH, HAND,
Philip
...SNIP...

Quite often there is enough time to either run the course or find weather conditions to fully exercise the boat's polar diagram prior to the race that will familiarize yourself with the necessities to come.
I agree and that was precisely what I was doing, sailing the waters, finding the SLIs and then it came time for the PR and there was no way I could make it back in time.

Also chatting with Saddler, he suggested working with the SLIs and other surrounding islands to practice DCs and having a "darg and drop" would come in handy for that as well.

Hope this makes my intentions a bit clearer.

Cheers!

--- Last Edited by Han Tacoma-Emons at 2012-10-01 21:09:30 ---
LaoziSailor

Schakel, Thank you for showing me that function. I was not aware of it.
Cheers!

--- Last Edited by Han Tacoma-Emons at 2012-10-01 21:07:54 ---
LaoziSailor

Thank you for expanding your remarks.

I agree that you have to choose your objectives during the pre-race phase & may not be able to participate in all the various options.

However don't you see how the ability to move a boat willy nilly, absent the normal constraints, would be problematic to assessing any comparisons based on performance alone.
None so blind
A2R, I do see your points. I am fairly new to SOL and it is a very different experience to other virtual simulators [and this is not the place to name them] where I get tactics, AI, RRS and other experience with a very poor graphic rendering and I don't need that for what I get. Others do provide a granularity that actually lets me see the luff in my sails, yet another aspect.

Here I am faced with other learning opportunities -- I'm reading 76T's treatises on VMG/VMC in SOL, irl I leave that up to the wind in my face or the back of my head and can actually see if I'm choking the main or not. Here all those performance indicators have to be calculated and we do have a very rich heritage left behind by Aaron that I am also dealing with.

Maybe the ability to "willy-nilly" jump your ship to other locations would present the problems you pose, OTOH for beginners, those may not be as important. Furthermore, you are absolutely correct when you say there are programming issues to consider as well and we have to be very dilligent on where we spend the few talent and $$ resources.

Cheers!
LaoziSailor

Laozi... (an inaccurate moniker BTW as I think you are quite skilled!)

I had many of the same queries when I first joined until I was educated on the origin of SOL.

As I understand it, SOL was originally designed to test polars and VPPs of students @ Sailport. It is also geared toward long-distance/ocean racing such that meteo knowledge and integrating this with the polar characteristics is key. The program assumes you are absolutely perfect at every angle of sail and wind velocity (why wouldn't it, aren't we that way IRL!!) A WHOLE other discussion vis-a-vis routers is included elsewhere in Forum. Some terrific links and info can also be found on AGage's blog at http://soltools.wordpress.com
Though some do not apply to the current GIU, most of it is still gold.

Hope this helps and keep SOLing!!!

SP
Sham,
Laozi is not a word play on lousy. It is a reference to Laozi, the founder of Taoism and author of Tao Te Ching. For the cliff notes version see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laozi
;-)
Jack, thanks for making that clear, you are of course correct. I have found it interesting, how through Wu-wei or other transliterations, how in fact it has led to all those, like lousy, lazy, etc.
...in the end I retain my autonomous self (not very clearly hidden), I do really want and actually do help those that cannot fend for themselves.
LaoziSailor

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client