Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Race proposal - NW & NE passages

Page: 1 2 3 Next

To commiserate the melting of the arctic ice, we could take advantage of the new passages opening up:

NW passage: New York to Anchorage. Pass Baffin, QE and Banks Islands to starboard.

NE passage: Trondheim to Anchorage. Pass Svalbard, Franz Josef, S Zmelya, New Siberia Islands to port.

These could be combined for a series. If the above legs are too long, then we could introduce some icy pit stops along the way.

I'll see if I can get the google earth course stuff to work.
I've created some marks using google earth. I'd appreciate if someone could have a look to see if it makes sense, as I've not used this function before.
Attachments
Hi Scotsman - thank you for this .. I have had a quick look... and there is no path, plus, NWP1 for waypoints is rather soulless so I will probably spend some time in Google Earth finding place names.

I will also have a more thorough look tomorrow and come back to you if we need to make any changes.

:-)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2012-04-11 21:52:22 ---
I couldn't see how to create a path using defined WPs. I thought that our programming would join the WPs. I'll have another look.

I'll also create names for the WPs, that should be easy enough. My aim was to describe the route.

Will look at the NE passage as well.
Scotsman - choosing placenames is fine but once I have time to look at the course we may need to tweak it to keep the SOL racing line going in the direction we want so... probably better to wait until I come back to you?

As for the path, you are right in that once set up in SOL, waypoints generate the sailing line. However, to conform this with the course designer's intention means that we first need to have a general idea of the designer's sailing line!

If you want to do this, just create a path within GE - as you have already created waypoints then use them... you may then find that you want more/less points to make the sailing line an interesting one.

:-)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2012-04-12 12:48:29 ---
I had another go at creating a path and didn't see how to do this easily. Any suggestions?

I'd like the options for the route to be fairly flexible, especially regarding which strait to go through and which side of islands to sail.
To make a path - use the ruler tool in Path mode (on the Path tab)
Enter the path by clicking the waypoints in order
Then click 'Save' on the ruler toolwindow

[Edit: Attached modified file with path for course]

--- Last Edited by Aaron Gage at 2012-04-16 08:59:45 ---
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Attachments
NZL Scotsman - how is this one coming along? Don't spend too long on the GE image if its too cumbersome.. crucial are waypoints by name in Decimal Degrees :-)

Plus the invitation (what appears in the RH Race Description).

The rest is nice but not absolutely vital and.. I like the sound of your top-of-the-world race!
Raced on Saturday with Graham Kendall who last year IRL solo sailed the NW passage. If you are stuck for place names and details, he "IS" the experienced man to ask.

Let me know.

--- Last Edited by NZL_PaulR at 2012-06-24 22:39:42 ---
If it breaks, it's not strong enough!
Hi Paul
That would be useful. The route I've worked out is a bit long for a single leg so would be useful to be able to split it up into about 3 legs.

Thinking of making it a circuit of the arctic. Need to get back on GE to see if I can get it to work.

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client