Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Mark rounding

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

ISAF Right of Way Rules.

I'll never forget the first time I attended SOL and sailed after ISAF Right of Way Rules in the South Atlantic. Took a couple of days before I discovered that no one else went according to ISAF :-)
I'm glad you mentioned Rule #2 Paul as that was almost the entirety of my point...

Sportsmanship....

OK - PetrM claims he/she does not sail IRL - but honestly - the arrows on, and the rhumblines themselves, make it pretty darn clear how to round a mark... (IMO)
AND it seems there was plenty of shouting in the chat at the time.
So really no excuse to not know the correct way to round a mark. If we are going to get so technical with what is WRITTEN as SOL rules, then where will it end? Boatsitting (dare i raise it) is so ambiguous it isn't funny... We all know (or should) the spirit of what is required for sailing a course. And ignorance of a rule is never excuse to break it. And like i said - I find it very hard to believe the current #2 overall does not know how to round a mark properly...

76T - if you round twice clockwise then once anti - well you have wasted so much time that is that really a consideration? And i was more meaning it would prevent immediate unwinding like happened here - mark was 'Leave to Starboard' but was actually left to Port...
Like any IRL regatta the NOR *should* form part of the racing instructions...

===================

ISAF right of way rules on SOL would just be silly...
No to mention next to impossible to accurately implement in a discrete time step sim like this (or any! unless said time step is, like, 100ms) - consider that boat length would need to be known by the server - by you - by the client to accurately represent the boat such that you could avoid it (and what about zoom?)... AND what happens if a boat whose skipper has not logged in for 24hrs breaks the rule?? Auto 360° penalty by the server? Hmmm - even more for the server to do... Not to mention that often an auto-pen would result in more infringements!
No, bad idea all round...
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Thanks for your comments about Right of Way rules.

I agree too difficult for new SoL sailors, and those who work, travel and go sailing a lot IRL.

Nothing like floating the odd idea about as we stumble through life.

Cheers

--- Last Edited by NZL_PaulR at 2011-07-18 11:36:09 ---
If it breaks, it's not strong enough!
* This field is required. *

--- Last Edited by A2R at 2012-02-10 07:15:08 ---
None so blind
Rule 2 is often misunderstood and thrown around in situations like this. Normally, someone feels aggrieved because someone is doing something "unfair" that is permitted by the rules. Class associations have a great time with this one: "Johnny's boat is unsportsmanlike because he has a new carbon fibre tiller and the rest of us have stock wood ones" is not a rule 2 violation. Either the Class rules specify tiller material or they don't.

For the most part, it applies to boats that intentionally disadvantage another boat without benefiting from doing so (you are allowed to legally slow another boat so long as your race or series score is defended or improved)

Ramming another boat on purpose so that they can't complete the regatta would be an extreme example. Close-cover blanketing a boat while the fleet passes a more subtle one.

Rule 2 doesn't apply to situations covered by other rules (that is what they are *for*). Breaking one of them and then not taking a penalty is a rule 2 violation.

The course that some of the fleet took was absolutely correct according to the server and everything written on SOL, hence no rule 2 violation. If we don't like it we need to fix it.

All sports/games have just enough rules (yes written ones) so that everyone has fun. It's fine to argue that "SOL shouldn't need rules" but if so we shouldn't holler when the non-existent rules get broken.
And from a complete devil's advocate point of view:

PetrM was leading the race and saw that there were two legal options. If he had sailed on the East side, he would have lost position had the chasing boats exercised the option. He had no way to know what they'd do. Yes he could have sailed on and crossed fingers, but if another boat had ducked behind him and won I'd be defending *that* boat's actions under the rules and based on recent precedent. It's a race.

The problem is the rule, not the result, and all boats involved in this and every other rule dispute (routing, boatsitting) have always said that they will comply with any changes.

Believe me or not:
I did not have intention to brake any known rule.
I was at lead at the mark and just one boat was within striking distance. My move (within SOL rules and outside ISAF) did not help me past any boat.

If you believe, that while being in the lead I broke unwritten rule from IRL race sailing intentionally and dishonest myself within SOL community for just another win, feel free to judge.

Thank You for education about ISAF rules. I will apply ISAF rule for my future rounding whether will be enforced by server or not.

I would like this kind of incident and personal suicide could not happen to others in future and their learning curve would be much easier than my. To eliminate future incidents we should appreciate value of 76Trombones input to this case.
It should be helpful update code for mark rounding (as stated) as I believe automatic rule enforcing is necessary. Because solving protest by committee would waste time of all participants. This time should be used for much useful thing (such as development of SOL :-) ). Another step is to update rules in manual.
Until rules enforcement will be updated, it should be helpful setup races with knowledge of current limits of server code.

Best regards
Petrm

As soon as you backtracked on yourself, you were told by many others in chat that you wern't allowed to do it, but you chose to ignore them, and you didnt even bother to ask why, or even acknowledge those who were talking to you. So this is why you have left a lot of bad feeling with most sailors in SOL.
So personally I believe that you sailed in a very unsportsmanlike manner as you had plenty of time to right your wrong but you decided to sail on!
Although i was not present at all, just a some small points .

Some people do not follow chat as they are racing so indeed they will not answer.

If the mark says rounded and stay's rounded while backtracking why should you doubt your decision if you thought it was OK ?

And even if you knew it was a loophole in the programming aren't you allowed to use that loophole as for instance SLI jumping.

Seems some people forget it is a GAME.

Tempest

I think the mark issue is very easily sorted out as far as island roundings go...........have a second mark which forces you to go the right way so that there is no other option:ie Mark 1 and 1a simple:_)

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Klaipeda to Helsinki

Welcome to the first of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are being organized in-real-life by Sail Training InternationalThis first race is from Klaipeda, Lithuania to Helsinki, Finland; circa 240nm in Sailonline’s stately fanciful Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1811
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
July 6 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 27th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Haida Gwaii 2024

We will end the second quarter of the ARCH competition with a 390nm race around the Haida Gwaii islands (literally "Islands of the Haida people"), also known as the Queen Charlotte Islands. This is an archipelago located on the northern Pacific coast of Canada. In SOL, we last raced on this route in 2012 and few people remember what happened there. Prepare your Riptide 50 well, it's going to be a lot of fun.
Race #1819
INFO from brainaid.de
Riptide 50 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
July 3 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 24th 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Newport Bermuda Race 2024

The 636-mile biennial Newport Bermuda Race is one of the oldest regularly scheduled ocean races, and with the Fastnet Race and the Sydney to Hobart Race, it is one of the three great classic races of the yachting world. Founded in 1906, this 53rd running of the Bermuda Race can again also be participated in online.
Entries are invited for one of the four divisions:
Double-Handed Division:
Jeanneau Sun Fast 3600
St. David's Lighthouse Division:
Santa Cruz 52
Gibbs Hill Lighthouse Division:
Judel Vrolijk 62
Finisterre Division:
Riptide 50
Details for each yacht are available in the ‘Particulars’ links below. As in real life, you can only sail one boat in one division, so choose your virtual yacht carefully, and because of the unusual (for SOL) 4-division nature of the event, please note results will not count towards any Sailonline rankings.
Race #1808
INFOby brainaid.de
Sun Fast 3600 PARTICULARS
Santa Cruz 52 PARTICULARS
Judel Vrolijk 62 PARTICULARS
Riptide 50 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: None
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 21st 17:05 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Auckland to San Francisco 2024

Welcome back to Auckland as we continue our Round The World voyage. This 5600 nautical miles race from Auckland to San Francisco, first sailed in 2023, is the third leg of the RTW, proposed by SOLer ita10267. It is also the June edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the Swan 65, as in all RTW races this year.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1790
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - OCCH - RTW - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
July 9 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 03rd 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Siaki
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client