Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Support » Gain or loss by using TWA

Page: Previous 1 2

*8MR, I am not an IT guru but wouldn't these choices be made by the SOL server when you are looking at the forum and perhaps it is configures any large attachments that cannot physically be displayed in the message as attachments only.
Nevermind I just found the BBCode link
None so blind
I note you mentioned you have written a small tool that calculates both max VMG (for upwind & downwind) for a given TWS – , and also maximum VMC given input of TWS, TWD and a CC to the waypoint. Does it link to an uploaded polar or does it just require manual input based on different angles and BS from the polar at the time you choose to do a calc. Is that tool available for download somewhere? I use my simple worksheet attached for my max VMC calcs. I find it pretty good downwind, can be misleading upwind.
=======================
I have not completed it satisfactorily for publishing yet - actually barely usable within a race - although a few of its tools are complete and usable - kinda got side tracked when i started helping the SOL development team ;-)
It requires you to login to a sol race, so gets the polar data from there - also you can set it to automatically use your current wind from SOL, so its just a button push.
Actually this 'module' that computes vmc is one of the few that is completed and you can specify either 'WP' for the next course waypoint, a CC - target direction, or a lat/lon (in decimal degrees) target location. WP or lat/lon are the most useful I think, especially if you are so attentive as to adjust course frequently after re-computing.

While I am working on a few things for the sol client, they are just ideas atm and I don't intend to implement them with any haste, so hopefully I can have time to get this toolkit out the door... soon!
All of the base code that grabs the race and boat data from SOL was written well prior to me joining the dev team, so I don't see a 'conflict' when I release this, as I spent hours in a web debugger and pulling apart data packets to discover how to do it - so it doesn't rely on any 'internal sol knowledge' to work.
Actually there is nothing anyone with a little knowledge and time cannot discover about how SOL works - all its data is just XML, using standard HTTP GET and POST messages.

Tthis module also computes max BS twa to, which I have found use for on occasion in the long IMOCA legs... often it is obvious from the polar diagram within the SOL client, especially now it can be enlarged, but was also just one of those things that "its 6 lines of code, and why not include it?" ;-)

Perhaps rather than trying to get a whole set of tools out at once I should release a subset like this vmg/vmc calculator...
If I had access to a website to deploy to I would like to write some tools as a flash app that everyone can use within a browser. But a few visual tools rely on OS functionality so they wouldn't be possible (like the butterfly overlay)

All I can say regarding availability is "soon" and "keep an eye out on my sol tools blog :-)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2011-06-03 18:31:09 ---
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
How do you find time for work Aaron, you have been very busy creating tools, updating your blog, being very competitive in SOL and now working on SOL development! That sounds like a very flash tool you are working on so I will keep an eye on your blog. Thanks for your great work.
How do you find time for work Aaron, you have been very busy creating tools, updating your blog, being very competitive in SOL and now working on SOL development! That sounds like a very flash tool you are working on so I will keep an eye on your blog. Thanks for your great work.
Some say he doesn't eat or sleep and only rolls his own. All we know is, he's called the Gage.

Cheers,
Philip
None so blind
LOL Shackel - now I just need to get my lap times as consistent as his ;-)
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Schakel: Well chosen!

This is my desktop at the moment.

Tom

--------
edited to shorten the url to a link to reduce column widening!

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2011-06-16 16:33:43 ---
Attachments

Page: Previous 1 2

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Klaipeda to Helsinki

Welcome to the first of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are being organized in-real-life by Sail Training InternationalThis first race is from Klaipeda, Lithuania to Helsinki, Finland; circa 240nm in Sailonline’s stately fanciful Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1811
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
July 6 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 27th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Haida Gwaii 2024

We will end the second quarter of the ARCH competition with a 390nm race around the Haida Gwaii islands (literally "Islands of the Haida people"), also known as the Queen Charlotte Islands. This is an archipelago located on the northern Pacific coast of Canada. In SOL, we last raced on this route in 2012 and few people remember what happened there. Prepare your Riptide 50 well, it's going to be a lot of fun.
Race #1819
INFO from brainaid.de
Riptide 50 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
July 3 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 24th 17:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Newport Bermuda Race 2024

The 636-mile biennial Newport Bermuda Race is one of the oldest regularly scheduled ocean races, and with the Fastnet Race and the Sydney to Hobart Race, it is one of the three great classic races of the yachting world. Founded in 1906, this 53rd running of the Bermuda Race can again also be participated in online.
Entries are invited for one of the four divisions:
Double-Handed Division:
Jeanneau Sun Fast 3600
St. David's Lighthouse Division:
Santa Cruz 52
Gibbs Hill Lighthouse Division:
Judel Vrolijk 62
Finisterre Division:
Riptide 50
Details for each yacht are available in the ‘Particulars’ links below. As in real life, you can only sail one boat in one division, so choose your virtual yacht carefully, and because of the unusual (for SOL) 4-division nature of the event, please note results will not count towards any Sailonline rankings.
Race #1808
INFOby brainaid.de
Sun Fast 3600 PARTICULARS
Santa Cruz 52 PARTICULARS
Judel Vrolijk 62 PARTICULARS
Riptide 50 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: None
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 21st 17:05 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Auckland to San Francisco 2024

Welcome back to Auckland as we continue our Round The World voyage. This 5600 nautical miles race from Auckland to San Francisco, first sailed in 2023, is the third leg of the RTW, proposed by SOLer ita10267. It is also the June edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the Swan 65, as in all RTW races this year.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1790
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - OCCH - RTW - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Tuesday,
July 9 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jun 03rd 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Siaki
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client