Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Race proposals » Newport-Annapolis Race

Page: 1 2 Next

Hi All,
With all the talk of SOLing along with the IRL fleet in NZ this weekend, I thought I would pose a warm-up race for the same idea here in the US.

The Annapolis-Newport is running this June. Maybe one of the other US SOLers is racing or knows the organizers and we could get the same interest as SSANZ.
Hope you like this little wintry jaunt offshore.

And if that one is too cold for our N. Hemisphere crowd, I threw in a 5-day run around the Gulf of Mexico. Maybe something to do during the LONG IMOCA Legs ;>))

Comments welcome,

SP

--- Last Edited by ShamrockPirate at 2011-02-17 03:37:51 ---
Attachments
Hiya ShamPir - once again I am very sorry for not picking up on your proposals ... as I add each one I will put a link here for you (and others) to check it out!

:-)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2011-03-15 13:04:16 ---
Thanks RC.
Looks like there are quite a few options in archive. Some good S.Florida sailing and a great series just submitted by Jepsom. That should take care of some of the gaps.
I also have 2 VHL (very high latitude) races in the works as well.
SP
Hiya ShamPir - got your first one set up... to check it out just log in as the sol boat:

Username: sol
Password: sol

and then click here

Because we can't set up gates as such in SOL I have made two Chesapeake waypoints.. let me know if this is OK or if you want to tweak/change them!

Hi RC,
Looks good! Now that I see the detail of the SOL map vs GE, it is probably more obvious to just use a single waypoint at the entrance to the Chesapeake. The "gate" idea was to simulate the opening in the Bay Bridge/Tunnel but that is not a factor on the SOL chart. There are 2 small island formations near the South shore when zoomed in close. Suggest place the mark on the northernmost of the two. That creates a "quasi-gate" to go between the islands for the fastest route.

Also, having seen this map, there can also be a race I had previously considered... Around Long Island.. as there is connecting water up the East River in NYC.
I'll work on that next.

Fun stuff. Thanks again for putting this together! All other comments welcome.

SP
ShamPir - I've moved the Chesapeake Bay mark and removed the 'Bridge one.. looks good now.

Let's see if we get any other comments.. otherwise I will archive the race in a few days until we run it.
The finish line is on land. But the rest looks good.
Finish moved to be totally offshore!!

Let's see if anyone has a comment(s), otherwise I will archive this before the weekend.

Do you have a personal preference for when you would like this to be run?
The IRL race (Annapolis-->Newport) starts on Friday, JUN03. Would be fun to run this one the week before especially if I can find someone in either of the yacht clubs that might want to team up and do that race back up to Newport ala RNI/SSANZ. Otherwise, anytime in Late APR or early MAY as the winds are better than during summer.

SP
ShamPir - 'tis now "pencilled in" for a start on 26 May - what start-time would you like?

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client