Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Poll / Discussion on Number of Races on SOL

Page: Previous 1 2

QUANTITY OF RACES.

I try and do as many as possible but as I race IRL 3 days a week in winter (in NZ now) and can race 7 days a week in NZ summer, short races around many islands will mean I will run aground often.

So I favour the longer ocean races where a morning and evening online check is all that is needed, well for a lot of time for longer races. e.g. current Maui - Mazatklan race.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough!
USE of SAIL PROGRAMS.

I enjoyed using Sail Planner on a free test basis and learnt about their effectiveness.

Currently I am NOT using any special planning programs. I would like to Enter races with an option of :
"Do you use sail planning tools YES or NO"
This could seperate boats into two different divisions.

Yes it is not policeable and some may cheat, but as in IRL sailing, I do NOT use my motor for propulsion whilst racing.

Certainly Brainaid does really well and his program works for him. WELL DONE Eddie.

I would like to see how I am going against those who are NOT using those sail planning tools as well.
First of all, routing software IS a part of sailing and will never be considered cheating. If that's the opinion then the knowledge of routers are very low.
Second, how will you sort out all of those who use other softwares..? Were do you draw the line? Is a simple calculator ok? Is local knowledge cheating? Of course this will never work and should not be an issue at all.
Comparing a router to an engine is of course not valid. The router is nothing more than a calculator, NOT an autopilot.
Some very interessting Topics from Paul, which i wuld like to answer to, unfortunately a bit off topic here.
Is it possible, to move them into a new thread, to keep the discussion there?

Back on topic:

I prefer not to answer the Question because i would like to have very short races (1-3 hours or so) allmost every Day, so there are way to less races from that point of view.
On the other Hand, during or shortly after a very demanding race, like Turkey, almost every additional race is way too much, so too much racing from this point.
Taking the Summary, the number of races is quite good and far from optimal at the same time.

Another Problem is: what is considered a demanding Races strongly depends on the specific situation and personal preferences, so every SOLer will have other demanding races.

And at least there are issues of server- and workload in setting up and running all these races.
Thank you to everyone who has voted so far and also to those who have added comments.

I realise the issue is somewhat like asking "how long is a piece of string" and has infinite possible answers.

However... all comments are very helpful.

Snag is, as Tazu has just said... for some SOLers certain races might be very tiring and intensive, while for others the same race might just be " a bit of fun".

Key is to try and strike the right balance.

What is most interesting is that the "far too many races" option has not (yet) been overwhelmingly voted for...

Maybe we need a small group of SOLers who are routinely emailed with a race login (when the sol boat has been registered to check the course and before its deleted and the race archived until needed) and invited to rate a race as a Cat A (v tough, lots of work) Cat B (medium workload) and Cat C (light workload).

No rules as to what constitutes A, B or C but for each in the group to just rank the race as they see it.

That might then give the calendar a bit of balance.

Anyway... please keep voting and commenting!!! This is all a work in progress (as all good organisations should be!!) :-D

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2010-09-21 17:38:06 ---
Before anything I'd like to say that RainbowChaser is doing a fantastic job keeping SOL going and the current mix of races are very interesting. Thank you.

The more I think about SOL the more I beleive the way to satisfy everyone is by schedule a mix of different types of races.

The question them is to identify what are the types of races.

Let see:

1 - Long offshore races with no waypoints, to satisfy the sailors that don't have much time to watch their boats and to satisfy the software router group.

2 - Long offshore races with many waypoints, to satisfy the non-software group. The key here is make the distance between WP's not more than say 10/12hrs so the non-software sailors have a change.

3 - Medium size races (3 days max).

and finally,

4 - Short races (2 days max). The key here is to run these races during the weekends. Say start Friday afternoon and finish Sunday late. They could be alternate to start on the afternoon of Friday at NZL, US and Europe.

This last race type is to satisfy the people like me that have plenty of time to play on SOL during the weekends and almost no time during the workdays.

Thanks,
Antonio
1).CHEATING I was really referring to a person who declares at entry to a race to NOT use sail planning software, but then later goes and uses a sail planning program in that particular race.

I realise sail planning programs are part of sailing and earlier acknowledged how useful they are and how wonderful SoL is to help those learning situations. I learned a lot.

I was more wanting the results to show those who USED vs DID NOT USE sail planing programs.

My "cheating" was aimed at a future time, after software development, when sailors can select / declare which division they would race in. So definately not aimed at any current sailors.
"how long is a piece of string"

There IS a definative answer.

"EXACTLY TWICE HALF ITS LENGTH"

Page: Previous 1 2

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client