Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Sailonline Yacht Club » Yacht Club Rankings Annual Championship

Hi Folks

The fact that our rankings is continuously rolling over is bugging me a little! Should we not consider running the rankings for a year? Dropping results does not have to happen either if there are races dedicated to the results ie an allocation of 10 Week races, 10 Weekend races and 10 Ocean races. Best 5 of each to count. An annual club champion is appointed and holds the title for a year.

The present format can stay, we just allocate championship races as planned by the committee who will consider the various skills needed for the categories.

Food for thought
Regards
George
Speaking of rankings. The Ouzo rally from last weekend didn't go in to the weekend rankings!!!

victory thank you! Its there now :-)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2010-08-19 09:45:11 ---
Jawz - not long ago I was thinking the same.. to be effective SOL would need to declare a "SOL race year". I believe the first race was run on 30 September 2007 so... maybe the SOL year should run from 1 October to 30 September in each year?

That is sort of a cusp between southern and northern hemisphere sailing seasons too isn't it?

Ideas anyone?
is there a reason why the Erie race does not appear in the rankings? is the 'too many buoys' complaint? missing waypoints happens to everyone. i sincerely hope this wasn't the reason it has been excluded.
artem1s - the Lake Erie race was deliberately left out of the rankings because it was anticipated to be a fairly speedy and difficult slalom course - quite a few Sunday/weekend races are not included in rankings as folks in the past have been unhappy to perceive themselves penalised for not being able to be online for a complicated course. The counter-argument is that one's worst results are discarded but that doesn't always soothe the angst!!

Your course, which I loved btw, is definitely one to be repeated in the future!

Would you have time to design a longer course for the week race series - the December calendar is in draft and posted in the Race Calendar forum and has a couple of spare slots that need filling!!

Lake Erie/Great Lakes again would be good as we don't have a huge number of N American races in the archive ... it doesn't have to be a real race but one that takes in a few interesting locations is good and we could choose another boat-type (either typical of what is sailed locally or just one of our speedy ones).

I hope you are not too disappointed that your first race wasn't included in rankings - a lot of our fun runs aren't... so your course most certainly was not singled out in any way.

:-)
not sure how to respond. isn't there a weekend/weekday separate ranking for just this reason? short races favor some members more than others? so? are the rankings there for an extra layer of fun/experience or so the same people can always win? which, I am getting a little weary of myself. how about designing a ranking system that doesn't favor only a few members? I was willing to concede that I would never have a chance to be on the podium because I don't use the weather predictors some members use but this 'gaming' the rankings to favor long course racers just seems like an extra insult. as are the constant rude comments about "sheep" racers in the forum and chats. why bother with the 'short' courses at all? obviously the only important races are the one that favor the usual winners. by my count we have about one short course for every 4-5 long ones. isn't that enough of a disparity already? if members are designing these sorts of courses wouldn't that indicate they prefer to see some other type of race once in awhile? I guess the exclusion really took me off guard but SOL's concession that they intentionally favor one type of racer over another really surprised me.
artem1s - I am very sorry to have caused you any distress. Maybe my choice of words was clumsy but I am really not sure how to respond to your comments. I can only speak for myself and say that I am not aware of SOL ever "favouring" one kind of racer. There have,it seems to me, always been a reasonably good mix of ocean - mid-distance and short-ish races. The aim is to have an ocean race every month or so, a weekend race (usually capable of being finished over a weekend) and a week race (starting during the week and finishing over some days) each with its own ranking.

If this mix has appeared skewed over the past months then this is my fault as I voluntarily stepped in in early June this year to help set up races when the last "race setter upper" left at very short notice.

I can only apologise to you if my efforts in this regard have failed you.

artem1s - I am,however,wondering if it is wrong to exclude any race at all from rankings.. so I shall set up a poll to canvass opinion.

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2010-10-11 20:15:21 ---
artem1s - at the moment there seems to bea majority in favour of all races counting towards ranking so.. in view of this AND of course your own wish that your race should have always counted (despite the race info saying otherwise) I shall now go into the system and set up your race for both SYC and weekend championships.

So sorry this hasn't been straightforward.

:-)

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kalamata to Alanya 2024

For the beginning of the ARCH competition's third quarter, we will sail our boat, SOTO 40, from Kalamata, Greece over the Aegean Sea always eastward to the race finish, 520nm away, in Alanya, Turkey.
Race #1824
INFO from brainaid.de
SOTO 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ3 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 22nd 17:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client