Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » VOR, Vestas incident & report.

Post annotated by kroppyer-admin :
(Edited to shorten link)
Viva all,

Good morning.

I strongly recommend all to read this:

"VOLVO OCEAN RACE INDEPENDENT REPORT INTO THE STRANDING OF VESTAS WIND".

Link:
www.volvooceanrace.com/...team-vestas-wind-inquiry-report-released-on-9-march-2015.pdf

João/psail
Sail Fair.
Viva Huib,

Thank you for the post "weight loss" cure (this long links really tend to escape the screen's right side).

João/psail
Sail Fair.
I am not ever likely to need the "Guide" to plan an ocean voyage/race....but I would like to make a related comment about SOL.
The Sol program was developed originally as part of a course in yacht design, to allow the students' work to be evaluated. However it has become a "computer game" for many people in which they try to use the mechanics of the game to 'win' bragging rights. For others, it is a way of practicing tactics for sailboat racing.
For many, however, it forms an educational program in reading the weather for the beginning sailor.
For all of these groups, there is a marked deficiency in the "chart" upon which we sail.
Is it not possible to use a more realistic chart that includes most of the hazards to navigation that must be avoided by any "real" sailor, such as the reefs and shallows which are such a major part of any "real" voyage at sea? The Vestas report shows clearly the importance of the "charts" on which we "sail".
Rod
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Yes Rod, using more realistic nautical charts would hugely improve the educational value of sol wrt navigation. but we have to be careful that sol remains accessible for the masses, not only the ones that are (a) experienced in navigation or (b) willing to invest time in their navigational skills.

I'm sure there's a middle way that solves this problem: nautical charts, but no requirement to understand every element of it to successfully sail a race (by using our own very simple and clear "you can sail in this area, not in this area"-two-colour-map as overlay for example)

While sailing on sailonline, I would really like to have some more detail of the region where I'm sailing. There's lots of reefs, shallows, bridges, etc. etc. that we're missing out on. Problem is, when I'm not online, I really like not having to worry about all these things. I'm not able to spend as much time online during the week as I would be able to spend on deck during and actual IRL sail.

Then of course, there's the technical side: we need a world map where there is a clear divide between "navigable waters" and "running aground" so that the computer can understand. As far as I know, the map we are currently using (GSHHG) is one of the best that is available at reasonable cost (in this case: free). In the best case, the process of changing to another map is a lot of work and needs a lot of testing. We are slowly moving towards a situation where we hope to be a bit more flexible, but its hard work. At some point in the future it may be possible to show some more detail in the map, but there is a lot to do before we get to that situation.

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2017-11-05 10:58:50 ---
Dear Rod,

Viva.

Yes, very pertinent comments about this topic.

I quote you: “For others, it is a way of practicing tactics for sailboat racing.
For many, however, it forms an educational program in reading the weather for the beginning sailor.
For all of these groups, there is a marked deficiency in the "chart" upon which we sail.”, (sic).

I can’t agree more with you, long before the released “Vestas” report but, previously to the charts and weather learning & reading there are very basic things we must all learn, understand and comply.

I’m sure you will.
discarding ziggy points or not Forum post

A Big Hug

João/psail

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2017-11-21 20:22:19 ---
Sail Fair.

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client