Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Discussion » Performance loss

Page: First Previous 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next Last

It's gotten a bit long... We might need a separate topic in which to discuss a possible new performance model.

!! When I talk about a "(possible) new (performance) model", I am not saying there will be a new model. We can just think and dream at this point.

I agree that a practical, realistic model needs another boat-specific parameter, like weight. Since we're talking about boats, weight and water displacement are about the same, so together with the values in the polar (boatspeed), a realistic model can be made that uses ideas from real physics (momentum, kinetic energy).

The introduction of a new parameter is probably a lot of work: the database needs to be altered, some code-structures need to be changed. If we want the client to show the parameter (for sake of transparency), the client needs to be altered, including protocols between server and client, which might "break" (parts of) other software (like brainaid's).

This is assuming we keep using the percentage, as-is. That could be changed too. Since we're speaking about realism, momentum and/or kinetic energy could be a better base for the performance model, a percentage is not really realistic in the first place. Changing this is probably even harder, with more implications.

This is not a reason not to change, it's a reason to think well, do the calculations, discuss, simulate and try a lot before deciding upon "officially" presenting the idea to SOL/dev dudes. So, it's going to take a while, and we should take the time.

I don't think an intermediate (small) change (like removing the 93% rule) is wise, because:
- the current model is effective
- I'd like to keep "changing performance models" to a minimum. So when we change it, it'd better be for the long term.
So, (as far as I'm concerned), we're not changing the performance model until we have a long term alternative.

The 93% rule is not realistic, but it's definitely not the only thing, and probably not even the most important thing that makes it unrealistic.
I don't fully agree with Rods theory about slowing down. Of course, when in a straight line, heavy boats don't slow down as much as light boats. But we're talking about turning the boat here. I don't think slowing down in a turn is really influenced by the mass of the boat.

Before I go on and describe some of my ideas, I'd like to draw the attention to A2R's post, it's exactly how I think about the matter, and it's the main inspiration of the seconds of two ideas that will follow. Click for A2R's post @ 2013-12-20 20:18:19

----
Idea#1 (this is JUST an IDEA):

I propose to store with each boat/polar the weight of the boat. Ideally this should be the actual weight, but the boat/polar designer is free to change the weight of the boat so that its performance is more realistic.

The performance loss will be calculated using difference in cc and whether the boat has changed tack. With a 90 degree turn, there'll be a performance loss of 40% to 80% (so performance will drop to 60% to 20%). When the boat gybed or tacked an additional performance hit (of about 10% to 20%) is calculated. Performance cannot drop below 0%.

The recovery of this performance loss will depend on the weight of the boat. A light weight boat (like a laser dinghy) will have gone up to speed in the next server jump (10-15 seconds later. A heavy ship (like our 90m barque) will need some more time to get up to speed again. The recovery does not need to be linear.

Idea#2 (this is JUST another IDEA):

Alternatively, we can step away from the performance percentage, and allow for an even more realistic model. A function of mass and speed will give a number (like momentum, or kinetic energy). It'll cost time to change this number. Example:

We need the same weight parameter from the previous idea. We'll use momentum, to keep the calculation simple.

mass: 100
speed: 10
=> momentum: 10*100 = 1000
Now we change angle, in which we lose some momentum, let's say we lose 600. And the polar says that at this angle, our speed should be 14 knots.
So directly after the turn:
momentum: 400
=> speed: 4
After some time, when momentum had the chance to adapt to the new angle:
speed: 14
=> momentum: 14*100=1400
New, let's say we change angle again, but now to a very slow angle (upwind), at which the polar gives 4 knots. In the turn we lose, let's say, 500 "momentum". So directly after the turn:
momentum: 900
=> speed: 9
After some time, when the momentum had the time to change:
speed: 4
momentum: 4*100 = 400.

The drop in momentum could be a percentage that is determined as I described the the first idea.

The recovery of momentum is the main thing to figure out in this example.

I hope this will trigger people to share (more) ideas, think about the consequences, and slowly results in a new performance model that we can then present to the dev dudes. It's quite possible that they say "Oh no.. we're not going to do that any time soon" :)

I DON'T say I want the performance model changed, I am just trying to help those who what it to change to create a better model. I DON'T say that creating a better model will result in implementation of this model, I am just trying to explore the possibilities with you.

--- Last Edited by kroppyer at 2018-16-21 15:76:42 ---
I agree with you, Rod, with over 93% ;)

I am sure you have made turning and tacking tests. I am 100% sure that the performance model is unrealistic. I just made one in the Christmas Race. Tack/Gybe from TWA 45 to -130.268 in TWS 5.87 knots the performance went to 96.08 from 100. After gaining performance to 100%, making a 100.268(the .268 is to be sure to get just over 7% performance to loose) degree turn from -130.268 to -30 TWA (without any boatspeed involved in the calculation ??) the holy 93% performance appears. Why has the boatspeed lost influence if you turn your boat?
Sailing VMG upwind in your VO74_v4 you need TWS 28.1(at 45.5 TWA)and downwind TWS 12.47 (at 138.68 TWA), then you reach the 7.01% performance-loss. Is a gybe that much more difficult to make than a tack. I am not trying to explain the performance model, just trying to understand.

I think every SOLer wants a game as realistic as possible, as fair as possible. A2R, has really something there with the boat specific momentum coefficient.

It seems to me that we may start a performance brainstorming thread :)
There is an aspect of the gybing part of the PL problem that has not been considered so far. I speak from the experience of radio-controlled model sailing yachts, specifically the Soling One Meter.
When gybing, one usually pulls in both main and jib sheets (using a fairly powerful 'sail winch' servo, capable of pulling in the sheets in a wind up to approx 20 kn). One then turns down wind, usually with little or no loss of boat speed, and the sails promptly gybe. The sheets are then let out to the required amount, as the boat continues to turn onto the new course. All of this occurs with little or no loss of boat speed.
If someone has a similar description of the gybing behaviour of small, medium, and large yachts, as well as 90 meter clipper ships, perhaps their knowledge might be incorporated into any model that may be chosen in the future to describe a realistic Performance Loss for SOL
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Depending on the type of boat, and the wind strength, gybing and tacking can be without noticeable loss, sometimes even with a gain (roll-tacking/gybing in dinghies).

I am encouraging a performance model in which we have performance big performance losses, and fast recoveries. Rather than a gybe, in which the speed does not drop below 90% of the max speed, but it still takes over 20 minutes to get back up to speed, as is the case now. More realistic is a performance hit of 50%, and a recovery of about a minute (of course depending on the boat an other factors).

Attached, description, graphs and other stuff about the current performance model.
Also, the "source", so that people can change the document and use it for other purposes if they want. No strings attached, as long as you're not going make money of my work, by selling it :) (that is basically the summary of (correct me if I'm wrong) I think GPL)
Attachments
Great thanks Kroppyer, for making us nice instruction files.

The mass * boatspeed = momentum idea, let's think further of that.
Which variables have greatest impact on recovery?

I am very pleased to see the direction this thread has taken lately. Now we are discussing realistic changements to SOL instead of preventing "tacking gamers". Thank you.

Is it possible that the "dev dudes" correct current gybe/tack formula to the more accurate
e = 1.0-(aftergybe.bs*current performance)/200.0.

--- Last Edited by Klyvarn at 2013-12-22 10:39:41 ---
I was preparing time ago some thoughts about this subject.
The attached file has my words about it, and they go with Kroppyer.
Sail Fair.
Attachments
IMHO, the current performance system has the following pros:
1. It is same for all boats
2. The basics are relatively simple
3. My understanding is that from a game engine perspective it is easy to implement

and the following cons:
1. The extent to which it simulates reality is limited
2. While the basics are simple, estimating the impact of any given maneuver is not

Now, whether the system should be changed, that's another story. To me the system is one part of the game mechanics, the rules, and as such it does not seem to function too badly. If it ain't broken, at least think what you're trying to fix.
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I'm right.
Hi SOLts!

Does anyone know if there is any minute advantage gained by sailing CC vs sailing TWA.

What I really want to know is this "Does sailing on TWA, where the game engine makes continuous small changes, cause any small performance loss? Thus, over a 6 hour period all the very small hits on performance loss adds up to a loss of a yard?"

Been sailing here for years now and I still dont know if this is of any concern or not. So, be honest and let me know :)
Not entirely sure about whether performance loss is calculated when sailing normal twa or cc.

I actually think that performance loss is calculated from twa, so cc is the type of command with the invisible performance loss.

We sailing cc in a windshift, so that the boat auto-gybes, performanceloss is calculated. Other than that, the performance loss from continuous twa changes (or cog changes) will be insignificant. Before you worry about such small performance losses, you will have so many DCs, following an exact course, that is doesn't matter anymore whether you use cc or twa.

I can give you the numbers and everyting, but I think the conclusion is more interesting.

Disclaimer: though I am an admin, I have no knowledge about the sailonline code (including performance loss) that isn't available to normal users, so the above is might be wrong (i would be extremely surprised though).
I have been thinking (deeply, of course) about the practical aspects of the performance loss problem, and have concluded that one aspect is missing (It is possible I could calculate it, but not instantaneously!!)
The info really needed is the angle of turn which would produce a perf loss of about 8% at any given speed. This would allow the SOLer to divide any turn into two parts, so that a tack or gybe would result in no perf loss greater than c. 8%.
This seems like an obvious tool to use, if it was in the form of a graph, showing a line for each of tack and gybe, with the margin (8% rather than 7%) of turn needed to allow for the keyboard entry of the second part of the turn before the perf loss is decreased to below 7%. SOLers could place this graph beside their computer work stations as a sheet of paper, or have it as an extra Window on their computer screens along with the SOL map.
I would do this myself, but would prefer it done by someone a bit younger and more mathematically inclined---like Kroppyer????

--- Last Edited by Rod at 2014-07-17 16:47:37 ---

--- Last Edited by Rod at 2014-07-17 18:19:39 ---
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.

Page: First Previous 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next Last

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client