Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Sailonline Yacht Club » ranking system

Page: 1 2 Next

An idea to revitalise the SYC rankings:
We could have a different weighting for different types of races. initially this could simply be to weight the ocean races moee than the short weekend races. this could easily be done by multiplying a short race by 2. ie the best result would be 2 points compared to 1 for an ocean race.
to expand this if it is popular would be to have an annual series of races that are more important than any others. eg the current a3 series or the swr series over the last year. a second and third rank of races types could follow. this might add interest to the top races whilst the keenest would stil have lots of races to chose from.
i've noticed recently that i have been as high as 2 in the rankings. however i think there are many more that are better but have raced much recently.
this post is to generate some comment so please respond!

--- Last Edited by NZL Scotsman at 2012-10-02 04:37:33 ---
Pardon me for chiming in, as I am an unranked participant, but since the basic information is all cross referenced anyway I think it would add interest if there was an alternative listing to show ranking by boat type of those which are raced often enough to make a comparison

The Top skippers would be expected to do well regardless but it could heighten the competition in order to protect their standing along these lines.
None so blind
Hello! Are AL53 ... I joined this company of sailing alone 100 days and not being very experienced struggle to drop below 49 ° to my position in the overall standings! My request is if you could integrate a ranking for countries and members for each country (example: ranking sailsimulator Stentec). I think there would be a healthy spirit of unity 'and emulation among colleagues flag!!
WELCOME SPORTS
Alberto
Alberto M.
I agree in general with a record of "finishing order" in all of the races. including the so-called 'Practice races', which are really two hour around-the-buoys' races. Any serious SOLer who enters most of the races wants to see a tabular record of performance to determine if he/she is improving--or not. I make the same argument to my radio-sailing group, that unless the results are routinely recorded and displayed, you tend to get careless and sloppy, both in your mental concentration, and in the general obedience to the rules. We do not have to obey any of the "Racing Rules of Sailing" here in SOL, but we do in radio-sailing, and a permanent display of all results of all participants is one way of improving the general performance of all participants. I am not a member of the Sailonline Yacht Club, probably because I wish to see a more complete yacht racing simulation developed. With all due respect to SOL, this program is basically "sailing to the weather reports using a polar diagram". There really is more to sailing than this.
I use a sailing program called "Virtual Sailor 7" which includes the boat and the waves and the land and the harbours, as well as GPS, Radar, the stars and the moon in correct positions and phases. Boats can collide, and even sink if you wish. It does not include the NOAA weather, however, and the computer controlled boats do not follow a good polar. It has very limited ability to carry races, with a maximum of twenty boats, which I have not been able to test so far as I haven't found anyone who wishes to race with me.
It does however indicate that more can be done. May I add that everything of the Virtual Sailor program is carried in my own computer--even the participation of others in a race would be carried in MY computer if I am the "host"--they would see my screen----if I join 'their' race, I would see 'their' screen. Part of the VS7 program includes Cargo Vessels, motor cruisers, tugboats, mini-submarines, torpedoes, rockets, machine guns, rain, snow, thunder and lightning, seagulls, dolphins, fishes, joggers running on the jetties, and you can leave your boat tied up in the harbour and move around in the ports of Rhodes and Athens, and look at the buildings. I can also turn off the auto-sail and auto-pilot actions and sail with my 'mouse-hand' on the wheel, adjusting the set of my sails by turning the winches by 'hand'.
Do not view this as a criticism of SOL, but rather as an encouragement to the originators to upgrade to a more "complete" sailboat racing program
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Alberto
The most recent version of national rankings are here:
http://sailonline.org/board/thread/8894/national-rankings/?page=1#post-8894
Maybe a bit out of date, but the loss of Aaron has put the development of these ideas on hold.
Kevin
Further to my suggestion a few months ago, I've worked out some potential points for a ranking system. This is for the first 6 months of 2012 and includes 41 races. I think a whole year of results would be better, but I've not processed all the results yet.

The best 10 results of the 41 races are taken. If we extend to a year then perhaps 20 best results would be better. We raced about 88 races last year.

The system is based on the finishing position, similar to the existing ranking. However, the longer races are worth more and the timed races less. I used a factor of 0.5 for timed races, 1 for weekend (winner < 60 hours), 2 for week (<120 hours) and 5 for ocean.

The points for each race is calculated as the factor * 1000 / finish position.

Therefore, 5000 is the best, ie winning an ocean race. It would be easy to add in other factors such as a bonus for winning a series, but I've not done this yet.
Based on this system, here are some examples:

WINSTON_4
Total = 11250

NZL Scotsman
Total = 7040

76trombones
Total = 9974

rafa
Total = 12599

hmm
Total = 2527

rainbowchaser
Total = 786
I do not wish to be considered to be "trivial" in this matter, BUT:-
The only benefit of a ranking system is in conjunction with a handicapping system.
The end result of a "perfect" handicapping system is that all boats (and sailors) finish at an (adjusted) same instant!
Of what value is that?
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Rod
We may be talking about different things. I consider your last post to relate to a handicap system. We were looking at this earlier last year but didn't quite get it up and running. The idea behind that was to give SOLers a way to track their improvement and the potential for a winner on handicap (ie the best performer compared to their history). This would give those who might normally finish mid fleet a way of winning a race.
This thread relates to the ranking, which you see on the right hand side of the home page. One comment on the current system is that it is too simply, as ocean races are the same as short weekend races and timed races. Therefore, it does not really reflect a true ranking of SOL ability. My suggestion was a way to improve this.
Regards, Kevin
One simple way to put a higher weight on some races compared to others (in this case more popular races) would be to reverse the scoring system:

Let's assume we have N participants in a race. Then the winner would get N points, 2nd would get N-1 and so on until the last gets one point.

If you want to consider more "fair" and "sophisticated" ranking systems, check out the one used by ATP: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I'm right.

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client