Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » IMSYC / SOLstice Cup

Page: Previous 1 2

Looks like a nice course Jakob!

Where can we find check_IMSYC66_parameters.m and IMSYC_weight_and_KG.m?

SOL's honour must be defended! ;-)
You find them in Homework set 5 and 6.
...one of the guys behind the game...
Tardis is in dry dock,
pending further developments.

--- Last Edited by 8mR Who at 2011-05-10 15:05:43 ---
None so blind
I am interested in this 8-metre project, for a few different reasons.
Designing a boat is not a simple procedure, and is very time consuming. Merely changing a few of the parameters in the class rules is hardly the way to get a fast hull. The relationship of each dimension in the rules, to a "Fast" Polar diagram is not at all simple---yacht designers have been wrestling with this problem for centuries.
I have been doing essentially the same thing with regards to designing a radio-control Footy Class yacht, which is designed to a "box rule" (1ft long x 1ft deep x 6in wide), free rig, free displacement. I have been using the Vacanti CAD program, which produces both a set of plans and an extensive set of hydrostatic measurements, as well as graphs of drag curves. A designer needs to examine the effects of a wide variety of possible hull changes before even a rudimentary understanding of the characteristics which make for a fast hull can be obtained.
Only a very few SOLers may be willing to devote the needed time to this enterprise. I don't think I will be one of them, although I would certainly want to enter the race series itself
As an alternate way of developing this race, perhaps the polars for a number of existing 8M yachts could be obtained, and the SOL entrants pick which ever design suits their fancy. I am sure that no existing 8M is significantly better than any other in all winds and conditions.
I will watch the progress of this idea with great interest.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
With all due respect to my esteemed colleagues who have already posted in this thread I wish to Thank 76T for making this endeavor accessible & doable.

As one who's only experience with sailing is that of a spectator sport that goes all the way back in the 60's when the 12 Metres still held sway in Newport, R.I., I can say that this exercise has enhanced my understanding of the Class rule concept.

While finding the optimum balance of the constituent components in the 8 Metre rule may be likened to seeking the Holy Grail, it does not diminish the enjoyment of pursing it none the less. In fact in may be a strength that such a goal will remain a challenge well into the future.

In all other cases here at SOL we deal with replicated polars so I feel it would be a loss to go that route here and eschew the unique opportunity to add the boat designer to our afterguard.

Without disrupting the current scheduling priorities administered so capably by RC these sort of races could be used as gap fillers as races wind down and the next event has not yet reached its opening phase.

If the courses for theses races could be constrained to a smaller footprint then the opportunity exists perhaps to apply higher definition weather grids for upwind / downwind leg racing.

I would like to see something of this nature go forward if only as a proof of concept sea trial in order to work out whatever particulars need to be addressed.

--- Last Edited by 8mR Who at 2011-05-12 20:07:30 ---
None so blind
Now that IMSYC 2011 has concluded can we revive your (76T's) 8 Metre Rule challenge using the aforementioned polardesigner.org ?

I have improved my boat & will race against all comers even if that means it is just 76T in a match race.

Once the "Cup" has been Won it will have more value for future competitions.

8^)
I'm game - shall we decide on a format and venue?

I was thinking the other day that the best way to fit this sort of thing into SOL's calendar without disrupting the normal flow of things would be to run it as a very short-course (practice race scale - as Texel) timed race.

If we left the race open for the usual week, everyone could take a run with a few boats, and it would allow the super-keen to run a series using DC starts at agreed-upon times.

I'm partial to the round Isle of Wight course, but it doesn't fit this format. How about a 6 leg "Olympic triangle" (windward,reach,reach,windward,leeward,windward) set off the W coast of Barbados for predictible speed and direction in the trades. Mid-Sept?
Although I am not well versed in actual sailing competitions I agree that a triangle twice around would reward a well designed polar sailed to its full potential as opposed to having landforms influencing the configuration of the race.

I would like to revisit the polar designer in order to fine tune my design prior to submitting it for certification.

A mid September race target is also good.
Final parameters due by August 31st would allow for the boats to be incorporated into the database for performance evaluation.

I am encouraged to see this special event come to fruition and will abide by any suggestions you feel will make this accessible to the greatest number of skippers here at SOL.
None so blind

Page: Previous 1 2

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client