Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Support » Warning for miss entered data Please

Page: 1 2 Next

Hi Guys I have just stuffed up. I was doing Ok in the present race and I wanted to make a couse change of .5 deg but in my rush I had entered my present course and then the .5 behind it but unfortunately missed typed the point and it sent the boat of in the opposite direction. I was way from the Pc for a it before I had realised what had happened. I had dropped from 6th place to 24 and took a serous hit in performance when I turned back. Is there any way of preventing this from happening? like a conformation box
Take it "ESEA" go sailing
Let's not make it all TOO easy!!!
What I do is that I almost always enter new courses with the graphical tool, even though I "know" the numerical value I want to enter. This way I never miss a minus sign or forget any decimals.
Yes that is what I do most of the time but unfortunately that time I did it numerically and in a bit of a rush.
Makes me think of the Tortoise and the Rabbit
To err is to be Human...

Essentially any feature that asks for confirmation (apart from blindly doing it every time which would be annoying) would need to be 'intelligent' enough to know you had entered an odd course change, and I think thats asking a bit much (on both counts), just my opinion...

The other option is either to double check before clicking 'Send Command' or check the DC tab after (I always do the later if I set a DC)
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Aaron, you'll remember my comment on the chat when I referred to someone complaining about miss-entering - well this chain stems from that - see my earlier "let's not make it TOO easy".

For the game originators - I encourage you NOT to make things TOO easy - lets keep it possible for people to make mistakes - so that the careful ones among us have a better chance of winning!!!!!
Very good point!
...one of the guys behind the game...
This is not making it too easy, it is making it user friendly. The skill for this game is not to learn how to type and spell, it is how to predict the wind place and tack your boat just that much better than your opposition.
For the developers you do not want to loose people because of small technicality's of inputting of data. For those who get frustrated by the wind and give up ..well that is like real sailing we don't need them.
I know you should check things before sending the command but as this simulation takes a lot of ones time and sometimes real life calls and needs your attention immediately the odd miss type can be costly. Now if it did not accept the course input of 2955 (the intention was 295.5 only .5 from current) I would not have lost 20+ in ranking and the intended .5 course change would not have happened, no real big loss, maybe loss of a little wind lift etc.
ESEA didnt you go between mainland and oland in that race? I think you were one of the boats that did... you lost lots of places doing that... we had 10+ knts more outside oland... You didnt explain well that you entered such large number in first post...
Already if you check 'delay' but not enter a time it highlights this for you, perhaps CC could do the same... just outlining the box in red if the course input is not between 0 and 359, Jakob? That wouldnt be hard to put in... But ESEA this wouldnt fix your problem... say you were sailing 20 degres and wished to add .5 you would still have a valid course if you miss the decimal point...
At the end of the day... careful entering and/or checking (it only takes 10 seconds) is the only real way to be sure...
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
Aaron Gage I did not go between the mainland and island and at the time I was ranked about 5th. Yes you are right that if sailing a course of anything less than 36 and missing a . after would be erroneously accepted. If you think about it it is not that often that you do a bigger course change of much more tan a tack or a gybe unless you are rounding a mark or headland. You would have to set up different max parameters on course changes for both tacking and gybing (using the -/+ of the TWA ) the red box thing pops up when going beyond these parameters. If you do intend going beyond these (which will be less often ) should not be a big deal clicking an "accept" ....mmmm that said sometimes you might want to round very quickly and that could be anoying... then add suppress waning check box ......mmmmm....things are getting complicated. Maybe someone could come up with a refined execution of my concept?

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kalamata to Alanya 2024

For the beginning of the ARCH competition's third quarter, we will sail our boat, SOTO 40, from Kalamata, Greece over the Aegean Sea always eastward to the race finish, 520nm away, in Alanya, Turkey.
Race #1824
INFO from brainaid.de
SOTO 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ3 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 22nd 17:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client