Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Support » SOL display when using Chrome

Page: 1 2 Next

Hi all. I'm just noting some issues I am having when using Chrome as my web browser.

Some months ago I noticed that the text display in the SOL sailing window had degraded significantly. I think the technical description is probably that the fonts did not appear to be anti-aliased.

This was confirmed in the chat by all other Chrome users who saw my posts there.

One obvious example of the effect was that co-ordinates copied and pasted into the notes tab were very thin. Text generally looked ragged edged.

My computer died last week, and I now have a new one, and I have an hdmi monitor and the resolution I am using is 1920 x 1080.

Once I got my new computer up and running I noticed that, perhaps co-incidentally, the text in the SOL sailing window has become crisp again. Co-ordinates pasted onto the notes tab are now back to normal.

However, there are two strange occurrences. One is that even though text everywhere else on SOL pages is normal size, the text in the chat bar and also across the head of the SOL main chart (race information, start time, my current place, etc) is very small.

I repeat though that text everywhere else in my browser, on the SOL homepage, etc is all as it should be.

Also, please note, having made the change to Chrome, with all the synchronisation of calendars, bookmarks, etc, I don't want to run another browser.

Also, I ran Explorer and it has the identical small chat text issue anyway.

The second issue is even more strange. I enclose a screen shot. It shows wind arrows for winds below three knots showing as little circles instead of arrows.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Attachments
Can't comment on the fonts issue as I am not using Chrome. As for the circles, they only appear if you have wind barbs selected in the Options.
(...) the text (...) across the head of the SOL main chart (race information, start time, my current place, etc) is very small.
---

In the screenshot you shared, that text seems to have the normal size, or at least, it has had that size for as long as I can remember on my PC (across multiple browsers).
Thanks, that does explain the wind barb thing.

Kroppy, It's no big thing, just different I guess, though it is a bit hard to read the chat.

I'm posting my whole SOL screen with the window expanded to occupy full screen.
You can see the text in the header barely goes halfway across the header, whereas previously that text in the header occupied almost the whole header.
Attachments
Are you shure that the chrome settings is at 100% zoom?
Hi Bimmer, yep I'm sure. The issue is not the absolute size of the chat box text, but rather its size relative to the rest of the SOL window.

In Windows 10 you can adjust the website text size independently of icons etc, and independently of zoom capability in your browser, but even this does not have the ability to amend the size of the text in the chat box and header.

I'd be interested to hear from Chrome users who also noticed the badly formed text in SOL over the last month or so as to whether that has now also been fixed for them.

Changing computers makes my own analysis difficult because I've lost my benchmark.
Bimmer, if you could post a pic of your whole SOL screen, then I could compare the two. Also if you could note what your screen resolution is. cheers
three screenshots on a 1600x900 monitor:
- chromium (my main browser) with flash 22.0.0.192
- firefox, with flash 11.2.202.632
- chrome, with flash 22.0.0.209
Attachments
Thanks Kroppie. I've overlaid my screen and yours in Photoshop and I'd say my text is only 60% of your text size. I'm running at 1920 x 1080 with some newer sort of DP cable connecting computer and monitor. I'm guessing this is the reason. I have incredibly clear and sharp text but just smaller. Thanks for posting the pics, very useful for purposes of comparison.

--- Last Edited by Dingo at 2016-07-31 00:38:05 ---
Attachments
you will see that everything on your screen is about 60% of the size on my screen when you scale the screens to have the same size. Your screen is 1080, mine is 600, just under 60% of yours.

What is the physical size of your screen? I have a 15.5" screen. If you have a 28" screen, we see things the same size, but I think your screen is smaller.

Maybe you need to sit closer to the screen John :)

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client