Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Technical Support » VO70-v4 and VO70 Polars

Question for Kalle as he part answered my chat question (12/1/09). The old VO70 polar had the 9 and 15 knot wind speed lines showing boat speeds greater than the boat speed shown by the 30 knot wind line for TWA from 0 to 30 and 40 degrees respectively. So we could expect that a current wind speed line from above 6 to 15 knots would likely show intermediate boat speed similarly. The new VO70-v4 polar shows boat speeds for all permanent wind speed lines increasing as the wind speed increases for all angles of TWA. So today I was surprised to see the 21.8 wind speed line plotting outwith the 30 knot line for TWA from 0 to 40. I'm sending a screen shot of the polar. Is the new VO70-v4 polar operating correctly?
Attachments
Hi, well my name is not Kalle but I am a also one of the guys behind the game and maybe I can help. Your observations are correct and I understand your question. The colored curves we have chosen to show does not at all have to show maximum boat speeds, it is in fact extremely unlikely. Thus, your observation is correct and the polar might be "fairly ok too" :-) ok?
...one of the guys behind the game...
Jakob, Thanks for your reply. But looking at your manual, para 1.7 "The boat performance" you imply there that the polar diagram is accurate - e.g. you say "For a certain wind speed and TWA you can read the corresponding boat speed..." Your current response implies that we cannot rely on the boat speed curves you have shown. As I said - the old VO70 polar showed that for lower wind speeds up to 40 TWA we could expect greater boat speed than for the 30 knot wind curve. The new VO70 does not give any indication that the same could occur. Old VO70 attached.
Attachments
Well, two things. 1) The old polar is just that - old. We changed the polar since it behaved a little strangely at low twa:s. The new polar is better in that respect. 2) The actual performance routine in the code is continuous in the sense that the boatspeed can be calulated for all combinations of twa and tws. The graphical representation of that we call the polar is accurate (!) but not showing the boat speed at all combinations of twa and tws. ok?
Thanks Jakob, I guess I have to accept it. Reason I'm so fussy is that as an Excel exercise, I was trying to build an Excel file to help me get best course, and a fundamental of that has been to make a print of the polar and scale off the data, have the Excel do graphs - get equations from these, enter the formulae into a look up table etc etc. I see from your answer to Frank Putman on 15Mar2008 that you don't give out the tabular data, so there's no point in asking you for it I guess.
Well yes, so far we have not given away the tabulated data. if you are doing the interpolation yourself try to use cubic splines in both twa- and tws-directions to get results resembling mine ;-)
Hi Jakob,

Thanks again for your advice. I will see what I can do and maybe will email you with results if I think I'm successful.

Best wishes,

Andy

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client