Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Lets Ban Land Jumping In Ocean Races

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

In general, as SLI jumping is explicitly allowed in the rules, I consider it a part of the game. IMHO it is not purely luck, although you do take a (calculated) risk.

Furthermore, In Cape Town to AD, I jumped one corner of Mauritius (a much longer jump than one server update), not on purpose, but because the server skipped one position update. I just happened (well, not happened, I did it on purpose) to change my course on exactly the correct server cycle, without the missed update my course change would have been spot on after the tip. Should I be penalised for that jump?

--- Last Edited by karriv at 2014-05-11 20:43:07 ---
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I'm right.
Karriv:
Did that jump gain you a position on the leadership board?

If not, it is "no harm, no foul" if we follow the F1 Chicane Cutting 'enforcement' practices as a model.

If you did gain one or more positions you should be penalized -- that is, you should give back those positions.

Note that I am proposing this rule for 2014 Ocean Series races only.
I can't see implementing this rule in Sprint races or Timed races.
-- For one thing because I doubt that enforcement is feasible in those kinds of races
-- For another because participants in those races may prefer to keep land jumping as part of the game.

So, I am proposing to change the rules for the remainder of just one 2014 series.
I am NOT proposing that SOL base rules be changed.
I am proposing a more realistic map, where you can't scrape off the paint down a long piece of coastline, can't cut the end of a headland so close that even the under-coat is removed----
Yours for more realism!!!
Aside from everything else, SOL should be instructional for would-be ocean navigators, and we should not encourage them to develop bad habits.....
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.

Karriv:
Did that jump gain you a position on the leadership board?

At that moment, no. But you know how this game works, an advantage of 5 seconds somewhere can be ten minutes in the end. How do you control that?

My point was, that jump was unintentional and due to the shortcomings in the system. IMHO penalising for that would not be fair. That would mean penalising someone for being able to time maneuvers accurately.

--- Last Edited by karriv at 2014-05-12 04:53:27 ---

--- Last Edited by karriv at 2014-05-12 04:53:49 ---
From my perspective, you can approach SOL in two ways.

1. In the first way, you treat SOL as a sailing and navigation simulator and use it to improve your real life skills in these areas, or if you can't sail in real life, to at least enjoy some of the wonderful experiences of real life sailing.

You therefore don't sail over land, you don't cut the corners of marks, or go head to wind for a while before tacking, or stop part way through a gybe. You do attempt the perform the latter manoeuvres smoothly however.

Of course, in the real world, people do run aground and botch manoeuvres. In general SOL attempts to mimic this with performance penalties.

2. The second approach is to see it as a computer-based arcade game, and to seek advantage or fun by tricking the computer into thinking you have done what you were meant to do, but in fact have gained advantage because of the limitations of the software to accurately mimic the real sailing world or to 'find you out'.

To each his own.

I like SOL because the huge majority seem to approach the simulator in the first way.

I'm am heartened to see Winston's post, so thanks to the SRC for working on it. :)

I don't think though that it is worth huge amounts of people's time trying to deal with protests over odd behaviour prompted by computer glitches.

cheers
John (Dingo)
In my opinion it is not either or, I have learned a lot about navigation while playing, but trying to do well in the game I do take advantage of what the rules and the system allow (I guess that's just in my nature, if I compete, I don't compromise;).

I'm not against banning jumping or making jumping impossible (actually I'm all for making it impossible). But IMHO
1. If rules explicitly allow something, it is a bit strange that people playing exactly as per the rules are somehow considered cheaters
2. If you want to make changes to the rules, you should carefully consider the consequences and the overall framework (e.g. if you want to ban SLI jumping, why only in ocean races where it has little or no meaning, why not ban also unrealistic gybing/tacking procedures, why not ban mark cutting...)
karriv - Completely agree! Couldn't have said it better myself.
More than a problem to be solved by means of any old and/or new rules, the “jumping over land” is a common sense issue.
Simplifying: It should never happen, in any kind of race.

Other issue that I’ve seen so many times is the “jump starts”.
How it’s possible that starting at the same programed time - the official race start hour - some boats get an immediate advantage on others?

Defies my mind and sportsmanship, to say the least.
Sail Fair.
JB - those jumpstarts are visual only. The client just requests the new position of all boats before all boats have completed their jump, so some look like to have a headstart of a single jump. But later the roles could be reversed.
Kroppy, thanks again for your explanation.

A simple test, with two boats, for instance, starting a PR, exactly at the same time and with the same HDG, sailing for some period of time, could make the final proof for this (non?) issue.

Kroppy the visuals can mislead you, ok, but with this simple test the DTF for each boat after sailing 10 minutes has to be equal. No?
Sail Fair.

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client